FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My Global Warming Website

ZealousZ
http://www.GlobalClimax.com

Made for a city competition for science and engineering. Got first place so thinking about keeping it on the web. Any feedback appreciated (on design and content).

Also, does anyone have tips/advice on getting a website linsted onto search engines?
SlowWalkere
Nice site.

I like the color scheme and background images. Very professional looking. The only thing that irks me is the way that the google ads have a black background. Is there some way to have no background color for the ad, so that the background image of the site shows through?

Also, I would suggest changing some of the images (especially the diagrams and charts) so that they are smaller images (not thumbnail size, but maybe half the width of the page) and then allowing the user to click on them to enlarge. For example, the first illustration on "Why Is Global Warning Happening?" is a bit too compressed and becomes somewhat unreadable. It would help a reader (especially one not familiar with the diagram) to be able to blow it up to regular size and read the text.

I like the way there are footnotes on the page. I'm guessing this was a requirement of the contest that you entered, but it lends a lot of credibility to what you're saying. Many websites give information and no sources, so if you disagree with them there's no way to check it out further. With footnotes, people can check out your information and read more (especially if they're beginning a research project on the topic).

- Walkere
benjad
looks great, code looks good... content is arguable, but well presented.

One quick comment. Some of the text on your images is hard to read... because it got compressed to fit the content... try to make those diagrams click able to view at native resolution .. (fig 3.1 in particular).

Also, make sure proper photo credit is being given.

I like how the stylesheet is used to make rollovers... might have to steal that idea myself. !
lerian
Hi ZealousZ,

Do you join the World SEO competition?
The choosen topic is about global warming.
And good luck with your site.
Motoracer380
yeah did anyone watch gores movie....whats it called i keep forgeting...somthing about truth can somwhen remind me what its called..its bout global wrming

i believe in it...i see irogant ****** who say its a load of shi i havnt noticed change....when it is changing....faster than we think....i canteven ride my snowmobile in newhampshire right now....i know the sled polutes my point is there should be snow on the ground
the6thfactor
Great site! Not only the layout, but the content as well. Lots of info. Keep it up Smile
jylan
Nice site, maybe it would be better if you used a font like Georgia for the intro text and heading on the front page? It might make it look more elegant.

I took a while for me to load though, but I am on a dial-up connection. When I first arrived all I saw was the background and the intro text, I think you should let the visitors know that other things are loading. For example, putting one of those AJAX spinning things where the navigation is.

Just my thoughts! Smile
Vimor
Very nicely done and professional looking.

Are you thinking about going into Web Designing or allready in it? Cause this site definately attracted my attention the moment I opened it. I love the color scheme of it and the links..... idk why I like em I just do.

You obviously did you research and got the right pictures to back up what you said. From the looks of it you definately deserved that 1st place.
SamiTheBerber
You have nice graphics in your site. It tells from important subject.

You have there a game, but no instructions.

How ever you have some coding errors in source.

1. <meta name="Keywords" content="global warming, awareness, greenhouse gases, carbon dioxide, dangers, effects, acting, prevention"> should be <meta name="Keywords" content="global warming, awareness, greenhouse gases, carbon dioxide, dangers, effects, acting, prevention" />
  2. <meta name="Description" content="Global warming awareness site. Touches on what global warming is, why it is happenning, the effects and dagers, as well as how we can act to prevent further consequences. 1st place at Ottawa City Wide Science and Engineering Olypmpics 2007."> should be <meta name="Description" content="Global warming awareness site. Touches on what global warming is, why it is happenning, the effects and dagers, as well as how we can act to prevent further consequences. 1st place at Ottawa City Wide Science and Engineering Olypmpics 2007." />
  3. <meta name="Author" content="zeya_y@hotmail.com, jamesino@gmail.com"> should be <meta name="Author" content="zeya_y@hotmail.com, jamesino@gmail.com" />
  4. You have extra </head>-tag, remove it
  5. <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
    href="sostylesheet.css" />
    is well made so why you have <style>-tag? It should also be in form <style type="text/css">

When you have fix those, then there can come more errors, but these are the worst ones.

Final result: 5-/5
Subject matters and site serves its idea. Site looks nice, but there are minor coding errors.
Hunterseaker
Thats a nice looking site!
The layout is nice ande simple. The header is realy nice and the information is very good.
Tho I'm not sure about that stretched background. It just looks a bit to much on the left side....
Tho overall: Great website!
FedeSite // Mac
I love it. Interesting, very complete information and i love the style. 9,50/10... Why not 10? it makes me feel wrong about using the PS2 and the PC so much..
ZealousZ
thanks for all the comments everyone
ill just try to respond to everyone here

@SlowWalkere and benjad:
Unfortunately Figs 3.1, 3.3, 3.4 and 4.1 are all from a published report so their picture quality was reduced upon scanning them

@lerian:
Hmm nope i never heard of that until now, would have been nice to have entered

@Motoracer380:
Al Gore's movie is called "the inconvinient truth".

@jylan:
I'm not too sure about putting a loading thing because the nagivation bar and background always load immediately
Does it still take time to load now that you've been there, or is it slow every visit?

@Vimor:
Neither my partner nor I are in web designing (as we're both still high school students) and I don't plan to go into the field. But thanks for the compliment =D

@SamiTheBerber:
Instructions have been added.
Thanks for noticing the coding details.
We stilll include style tags on each page incase a page needs a unique style element that we couldn't make universal in the CSS
Right now, its mainly image boxes and game controls

@Hunterseaker:
What do you mean by "a bit too much on the left side?"

@FedeSite // Mac:
Haha but you see, when you pirate music on your PC, you help the environment by not having to drive to a CD store =P
unraveling
I love it, I like the colours, I like the layout, and I like the Navigation.

I think we need more websites like this. The pages are all complete. Very nice. I give it a 9/10. GOod luck with your website.

Would you mind me advertising it on my myspace?
warallthetm
I really like the site. The code is clean
SamiTheBerber
Like I told there can come few more errors, but those might be last.
You have:
Code:
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC="http://bdv.bidvertiser.com/BidVertiser.dbm?pid=55982&bid=129334"></SCRIPT>
That should be:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://bdv.bidvertiser.com/BidVertiser.dbm?pid=55982&amp;bid=129334" />
So you shouldn't use caps in tags and attributes. &-char should be typed in html code &amp;

There is one near same type, but not so bad:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript" SRC="http://kona.kontera.com/..
Should be:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://kona.kontera.com/..
Reason: No caps.
ZealousZ
unraveling wrote:

Would you mind me advertising it on my myspace?

some advertisement on myspace would be awesome =)

and sami those are advertisement codes and in the term and agreements thing it says that im not allowed to make ANY alteration/changes to the code they give us XD
i might change if after a payment
Snakez
is that a website made by frih host? or something else.?
jayzee
coolsite..
i really like the subject of the site...
aningbo
i like your theme. kip up the good work.

its time we all come together and protect our little world.
carlospro7
very nice design. I like the choice of color. I also like the game that you have on your website. congratulations, and keep up the good work.
DandDer
i'm not feeling those 4 different colored images in the front their, it feels largely out of place. However it has lots of information and some nicely written articles. Plus all the tips i'd ever need lol. The site is definatly a well designed thing, but that one intro image just doesnt feel right.

Also for some reason i feel that that specific theme of site would go better with a light blue color scheme...for some reason when i think of global warming green isnt the first color that pops into mind
ssthanapati
Great site dude!!!! Keep it up. Great Content 2 Smile
pyapplico
ZealousZ wrote:
http://www.GlobalClimax.com

Made for a city competition for science and engineering. Got first place so thinking about keeping it on the web. Any feedback appreciated (on design and content).

Also, does anyone have tips/advice on getting a website linsted onto search engines?

Nice site, nice design, nice clean code. Excellent content. Couldn't find any spelling areas, nice images, no ads. But takes more than 3 seconds to load on dialup speed.