FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PayPal Account?

Zampano
PayPal accounts; how exactly do they work and do you have one?
bogger
I don't have one, but here's an explanatory link:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/paypal.htm

It's just not giving the payee money until the payer gets the good, and making sure the payer gives the money to paypal before the money is sent
Mrs Lycos
My advice: don't use Paypal. There are way too many cases of arbitrary desicions from Paypal, closing your account and asking for lot of paperwork that even if you send it, you don't get your account back. The problem is E-bay only works with Paypal, and say that it's against their policies to accept any other form of payment, so it's a monopoly and you can't get round it.

It's all about buyer protection - so forget it if you're a seller: transactions are completed only after 60 days, so during that time the buyer can claim he's not satisfied with the product and ask for a refund. Now what if the product is a piece of software, or a service? How can the buyer give it back? Would he delete it from the computer, server - and what if he got to use it all he wanted and then he didn't need it anymore, so in the end he got the service and the money?
rheanna
I never had a problem with paypal. And everytime I've contacted them, I've gotten my money back.
jmwarshay
I have used Paypal without any issues. At first, all my payments were debits from my account. I have had the account long enough to have Paypal credit, where I get a statement at the end of the month. Many ebay transactions provide protection when using a Paypal account. As a seller, it can make it easier to do business, though there are fees, however they should be built into the price of the goods.
yyswing
Paypal is a good pay company,but i like moneybookers and egold too

i have never have a problem on paypal account

you should register one to use it
bcc32788
Thank you for you to share me new knowledge.Before now I have a e-gold account and I will regis the Paypal.

In my mind , I think the Paypal is very good but it's hard to use

Thank you,
froginabox
Paypal is great if you are extremely confident in the people you are buying from and that you will never have a problem.

(yes this quote regards eBay and Paypal, but still has good points)
my friend Joe from another forum wrote:

Some of that is related to the additional fees ($0.30 plus 2.9% of the total payment including shipping). After all, eBay has already taken roughly 5% of the winning bid price not to mention the fees for listing the auction in the first place. But on the other hand, sometimes it is worth the cost of business to use paypal.

Paypal has sort of a SPP - seller protection policy. The theory is that if a seller conforms to the requirements of the SPP, then the seller is protected against scams by the buyer. This is not always true, but in the majority of cases it is better than nothing. However, most of the SPP requirements do at times seem to be nothing more than jumping through unnecessary hoops.

One requirement is that anything costing $250 or more be sent with signature confirmation of delivery. This either means that the buyer has to be home to accept delivery or take a trip to his post office. I did this once and had an angry buyer on my hands, luckily he calmed down and left positive feedback once I explained the reason to him - but the possibility of an angry buyer not wanting to join the seller in jumping through a paypal hoop isn't in the best interest of a seller. So I learned that if I believe the cost might be around or more than the $250 mark, I don't accept paypal.

Another requirement is that the seller must ship to the paypal confirmed address only. You must specify this in the auction's TOS (terms of sale) in order to require paypal buyers to have a confirmed address. You cannot block them from bidding on your item, but you can block them from paying for the auction through paypal.

This could give you another angry buyer if they didn't read the TOS, but they do have the option of having their paypal account address confirmed prior to paying. But if they did read the TOS and don't have a confirmed address and do not care to get one, then you have effectively only limited the bids you will get for your auction.

Along the same lines, confirmed addresses can be PO boxes. UPS cannot deliver to a PO box. There is no way to block a PO box confirmed address. So if I am going to ship the item UPS, I do not accept paypal for the auction - so as not to further limit my bidding pool... or find out after the auction that I can't meet the SPP requirement by having to ship to their street address.

And the requirement for confirmed address shipping can prevent a seller from honoring the wishes of the buyer, like the reason they won your auction in the first place. The best example I have of this is the mom in Tucson that bought my model T head as a present for her son in California. She asked if I could ship it to him. If I had taken paypal I would have had to say "No".

Just a few additional things to consider if you only want to pay with paypal.

Hope that helps!
mikethm
I think the fees are too high.
SGbilder
I have an account but don't like paypal, sometimes when I bid on ebay it says that you must have an account, and credit card and bla bla bla... maby it's because I don't understand everything (language problems Think Wink) that I don't like it..
creezalird
I just have the paypal account, but I never try to use it for online shopping..I prefer to use money transfer ( online ) than paypal when shopping at ebay.de..
TheGustav
I have a paypal account, and use it for everything! Smile

I find that it's great, and quite easy to use.... I use it's virtual debit card as well for online stores that don't accept paypal.

I love it. Smile It definitely helps out with all my eBay transactions, both selling and buying. Infact whenever I sell something over eBay, my auctions require the user to have a registered paypal account attached to their eBay account to bid, and it's my only accepted payment method. Very Happy
jmwarshay
The fees are roughly 3%. I just sold my first ebay item (no listing fee due to an ebay promotion at the time). My selling price, including shipping, was $102, and I got $99 after PayPal deducted its fees. Ebay would have taken perhaps another 3%. You can accept checks or money orders, but you have to wait for your money and make sure the item clears before you send the merchandise. You could also accept credit cards directly, and pay whatever fees are associated.

As a buyer, PayPal can provide some protections, especially if you have a PayPal credit account, because then there are some legal protections built in when you have a dispute.
bangala
After reading all of this, I think I might open a paypal account soon!
aggzzu
I also haven't got any issues with paypal. I think e-gold is better, but you can't use it almost anywhere to buy something..
Packfan104L4
Mrs Lycos wrote:
My advice: don't use Paypal. There are way too many cases of arbitrary desicions from Paypal, closing your account and asking for lot of paperwork that even if you send it, you don't get your account back. The problem is E-bay only works with Paypal, and say that it's against their policies to accept any other form of payment, so it's a monopoly and you can't get round it.

It's all about buyer protection - so forget it if you're a seller: transactions are completed only after 60 days, so during that time the buyer can claim he's not satisfied with the product and ask for a refund. Now what if the product is a piece of software, or a service? How can the buyer give it back? Would he delete it from the computer, server - and what if he got to use it all he wanted and then he didn't need it anymore, so in the end he got the service and the money?

I sell on Ebay quite a bit and have grossed at least $3000 in the past year for only selling every once in a while. Paypal is a godsend to any Ebay seller.

I've never had any problems. Even with people that do random chargebacks to try to con me out of cash they pick up on in 2 seconds and disallow it.

It wouldn't be one of the highest rated payment sites if it wasn't reliable.
HereticMonkey
aggzzu wrote:
I also haven't got any issues with paypal. I think e-gold is better, but you can't use it almost anywhere to buy something..

E-gold has its perks, but as a form of currency it lacks a number of protections built into PayPal and any credit card. It's good, but...

HM
hilander
I agree,, Paypal is good on the buyer side...I have read a lot of posts,where sellers complain about paypal stopping their accounts and no possible way of getting it back...I used it once only, and can not complain about it,,but it really would be very cool to have a Paypal alternative..Do you guys know the best paypal alternative?
regards
hilander wrote:
I agree,, Paypal is good on the buyer side...I have read a lot of posts,where sellers complain about paypal stopping their accounts and no possible way of getting it back...I used it once only, and can not complain about it,,but it really would be very cool to have a Paypal alternative..Do you guys know the best paypal alternative?

I agree also. Paypal is better than eGold on the buyer side. I was using Paypal when I previously had some online business. But as that business is sold recently, I have canceled my Paypal account, as I am worrying about the security issue of internet business. I will probably use it again now, as I started bidding on eBay.

Wink Regards
TCyou
i've heard that paypal is a friendly and safe online payment instrument.
Mannix
Quote:
i've heard that paypal is a friendly and safe online payment instrument.

And I've heard it's just the opposite. In fact, they seem more interested in perpetuating online bootleggers, etc. than stopping them. ...But that might just be my own experiences. ...I've heard several nasty tales relating to Paypal though. People getting their actual bank accounts hacked via Paypal, blunt, harsh, unhelpful support if they think your trying to skimp on the bill... They were marginally helpful to me once, but not really... ...Not in the end...
myroom
I am new to paypal account and I just registered one few weeks ago. One thing I feel sad is I can't directly withdraw my Paypal account money directly from my local ATM machine. Too bad!
From what I research, this is because the bad credit issue and credit card abuse in my country. That's why Paypal banned my country.

I believe that, if you want to stay on internet; you definitely need an account with them. They seem like monopoly the payment method in this industri. Anywhere is no harm to get an account with Paypal. I know some people have bad experience with Paypal and hopefully this won't happen to me. Razz
Coclus
I do have one.. I f you want to know how they work just go to their website www.paypal.com.
jossylala
i do know why paypal are restricted to some countries only.its very fustrating but the good news is that there is a new market place coming soon called dubai online.Presently,they are geting more members thru mlm.wen u register,u get a mastercard(dubai credit card),which u can use to buy things and u wud get $50 and when u intoduces other, u get $10 free.offer last till march.

register here: www.joscityweb.com
edzofcit
I have a paypal account and always use it with any transactions which i did online. It serves as my account for my clients which are from US. It is very easy to use and is very handy when doing some online business.
rshanthakumar
I have a paypal account and have not had any problem with them. They are prompt and provide reasonably good service. In my opinion, it is easy to use. But then, some of my clients said they had problems with paypal and that their account got locked. I always thought that was an excuse to delay my payment rather than a reality.

My experience with paypal has been good. You can go with confidence to them. Who knows what could happen in the future. By and large, they are reliable.
mtorregiani
You have to be very careful at selling domain names with paypal. There have been a lot of scams, thanks to the paypal chargeback, after the domains are pushed.
woundedhealer
I've got a paypal account and also nochex (GB), pppay and google checkout. Paypal is my least favourite because of the high fees for recieving money. The advantage of using one of these buying online is the seller won't know your bank details. As an added precaution I opened a seperate bank acount for buying online and just keep a small amount in it.
talkingtree
i rkn paypal and ebay are rip off

it's good for the buyers but for the sellers it's kind of a different story

for instance i just dont get how ebay asks you to pay 30cents when you want to sell something that's under 1 dollar (100 cents), it's like way more expensive then paying tax.. but i suppose that are no competitions out there and that's how u get rich

if u guys know there are alternatives then using ebay and paypal please tell me ^^
moldgame
Why in Moldova don't open a paypal site ?
rshanthakumar
talkingtree wrote:

for instance i just dont get how ebay asks you to pay 30cents when you want to sell something that's under 1 dollar (100 cents), it's like way more expensive then paying tax.. but i suppose that are no competitions out there and that's how u get rich

if u guys know there are alternatives then using ebay and paypal please tell me ^^

There are a number of other online payment sites. Check out eGold and moneybooker.com The charges are a little less but well, paypal has also been responding to cost reduction requests. Today, the charges for withdrawall has come down drastically. But still the other charges are high and would require a better rate fixing from the paypal side to make it attractive.
ovidiuo
Last year at the same time I was asking the same question. I even emailed at their desk to ask why they don't open a business in Romania to. They said to me they will but the implementation is hard to make and last quite a while.

And at the end of the year I had an account opened.

Did some transactions with it mostly within ebay and it does what is says it does.
woundedhealer
talkingtree wrote:

If you had read the previous reply, you would have seen some alternatives to paypal. I know google checkout is available in the USA because I put it as my prefered payment. As for ebay alternatives the main ones are ebid, tazbar, cqout & qxl. I'm signed up to all our, but sell mostly on ebid and tazbar. Most of my sales are from ebid. I only use ebay as a buyer because of the high sellers fees. Ebay charges insertion fees plus a fee of 7.2% if an item sells. On top of that there's 15% vat. Paypal charges 20p per transaction plus a fee of around 3.3%, I can't quite remember the exact amount. I know ebay power sellers are moving to ebid and tazbar. I don't know about the other auction sites because they don't have forums, but I should think they're trying those out as well

We need to let people know about the other auction sites. It's about time ebay had some oposition
Tom7
I have a verified paypal account connected to a bank account, and a credit card.
I find paypal very easy to use and quite safe. Only problem is that it takes money out of a bank account, even when it is an empty debit account. This means that you get a negative balance, and the bank charges ridiculous amounts in overdraw fees.
woundedhealer
Tom7 wrote:
I have a verified paypal account connected to a bank account, and a credit card.
I find paypal very easy to use and quite safe. Only problem is that it takes money out of a bank account, even when it is an empty debit account. This means that you get a negative balance, and the bank charges ridiculous amounts in overdraw fees.

I now get a 50 overdraft if I intend to do a lot of online shopping to cover this eventuality. I bought a load of presents on line last Nov and although I kept checking my bank account I still managed to get overdrawn. This was because it took so long for the paypal withdrawls to show up. I don't like keeping a lot of money in the account I use for online shopping, I transfer money into it as I need it.
akh-international
< I have a verified paypal account connected to a bank account, and a credit card.
I find paypal very easy to use and quite safe. Only problem is that it takes money out of a bank account, even when it is an empty debit account. This means that you get a negative balance, and the bank charges ridiculous amounts in overdraw fees>

I agree as I am also comfortable wit paypal... Very Happy
joostvane
Hey,

Heres my story about how I experienced the paypal staff. I was just browing at my computer, until ive got an email from paypal. (wich I haven't logged in yet for the past i dnno, week) The email said that my payment ????? has been transferred succesfully. -100$. I freaked out and I immediately knew that I was one of the poor victims of those who have been hacked Sad

I immediately called card stop, blocked my mastercard, send an email to the hacker of asking my money back, and an email to paypal for getting a refund.

My card was blocked in like 5 minutes, and paypal answered not more then 5 minutes later. And it was saturday, to believe. They immediately gave me a refund, saying that I was indeed hacked.

So I still believe that paypal is a very good method of paying. Don't believe most people saying that you never get your money back once you are hacked.
Chinmoy
Paypal works fine for me! I have an accoult from quite some time! I never had any problems with payment. Only while paying in INR from USD they cut out a charge which asmounts to Rs. 50; ie; around $1...
deanhills
Mrs Lycos wrote:

I agree with this advice. E-Bay does not give you a choice and here is the problem. When you make your first purchase there is a limit on the amount that you can pay with through PayPal. That information is not given upfront when you register. So you may find that when you have won your first bid, you may not be able to use PayPal to pay for your product because (a) the price is more than you are allowed for your first purchase or (b) you need to provide bankstatements ahead of payment. Also, if your credit card name is different from your given name, there is no flexibility with which you can use that credit card. Paypal has so many black and white bureacratic rules. It got much worse as I went along and when I finally tried to deregister, I could not as everything went into a loop. I then had to spend lots of dollars on phone calls and plenty of verbal tussles with phone agents to get myself out of PayPal.

Afterwards I did research on the Internet and found that I was not alone. Many unhappy Paypal users out there.
kimdon5
To be completely honest, paypal sucks! Its true that they are the easiest form of payment acceptance but they require too much personal information, they always freeze accounts and they will hold your money for up to 6 mos for absolutely no reason. Your better off getting a merchant account.
the-guide
If you want to do online business it's necessaries, you will need it in many case.
mtorregiani
kimdon5 wrote:
To be completely honest, paypal sucks! Its true that they are the easiest form of payment acceptance but they require too much personal information, they always freeze accounts and they will hold your money for up to 6 mos for absolutely no reason. Your better off getting a merchant account.

I have a paypal account since 2006, and I've never had a problem with them, my account never got frozen, or anything like that. You have to read very carefully their rules...
lucian0127
PayPal is one of the most good payer and secured.
app893
I don't have one,but I want to learn how to get it and use.
Radar
Don't have one, but from experience, it seems like PayPal is great for customers. Not so great for merchants, who seem to have to prove who they are ten times over before having a valid account.
sketteksalfa
I had a problem with paypal setup before but their customer service is just excellent. You will receive their reply instantly via email.
keyman
I've had a Paypal account for almost ten years and never had any issues with it. Mostly as an ebay seller and buyer, but also for general online shopping. And now, for local shopping - I recently got a debit card which is a fabulous thing for me. I can use it anywhere that accepts them, just about any business I go to locally and it's nice not having to wait 2-3 days for the funds to reach my bank.