FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Alaska Moose Brings Down Helicopter

glenn83e
Quote:
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A helicopter is not necessarily a match for an angry moose. Instead of lying down after being shot with a tranquilizer dart, a moose charged a hovering helicopter used by a wildlife biologist, damaging the aircraft's tail rotor and forcing it to the ground.

Neither the pilot nor the biologist was injured, but the moose was maimed by the spinning rotor and had to be euthanized, wildlife officials said.

"It just had to be one of those quirky circumstance. Even dealing with bears and goats and moose and wolves, this is pretty unusual and truly a very unique situation," said Doug Larsen, regional supervisor for the Division of Wildlife Conservation.

Biologist Kevin White was aboard the chartered helicopter on Saturday for a study of moose near Gustavus, a community of 459 people about 50 miles northwest of Juneau in southeast Alaska. Moose outnumber humans there 2-to-1, White has written in an essay for the Department of Fish and Game Web site.

He shot the animal with a tranquilizer dart, Larsen said, and the pilot maneuvered the helicopter to keep the animal from slipping into a tight space or collapsing in water and drowning.

"The moose would start to move, and then the helicopter would back off and try to keep the moose out in the open," Larsen said.

But instead of moving toward open space, the moose charged the helicopter.

"As the animal got closer and closer to going down, an animal sort of loses its thinking _ its ability to rationalize what's in its best interest," Larsen said.

Comcast.net

I only have one thing to say about this... If they weren't trying to examin the animals and see what they were doing that moose would still be alive today. Moose don't do anything to harm humans unless they are being harmed or have reason to harm someone or something. I hope that a lesson was learned from this event.
Zampano
That's true. To what extent do human rights apply to animals (who are in short people of lesser intelligence and greater strength)?
I know for sure it is the right of a man to not be shot with a tranquilizer dart for no specific reason except for research.
HoboPelican
But isn't research into wild animals used to help them? Studies like this, that allow tagging, have been used to show diminishing numbers, thus getting them on the endangered species list. Migratory patterns, diet, disease levels, all these things can be learned by this type of research and then can be used to help maintain population levels.

I think this was a terrible thing and I hope that they are putting lots of thought into tactics to avoid that in the future, but I wouldn't be so quick in condemning this research.
glenn83e
HoboPelican wrote:
But isn't research into wild animals used to help them? Studies like this, that allow tagging, have been used to show diminishing numbers, thus getting them on the endangered species list. Migratory patterns, diet, disease levels, all these things can be learned by this type of research and then can be used to help maintain population levels.

I think this was a terrible thing and I hope that they are putting lots of thought into tactics to avoid that in the future, but I wouldn't be so quick in condemning this research.

Yes it is used to help them but flying a helicopter so low down to the ground that the moose actualy really hurt itself so much by the blade that it had to be put down? that dosn't sound like helping the animal at all
mathiaus
The article covers that. They fly around the animals to move them after being tranquillized. This is to keep them in open ground where injury is less likely, ie. away from water (where it could drown after collapsing).
As Larsen said, it was just a 'pretty unusual and truly a very unique situation'. Neutral