FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Not many cameras can take pictures like these!

ocalhoun
So I got a snazzy new waterproof camera; let's try it out!

First of all, this is where I'll be taking the pictures.
Maybe Florida's not so bad after all...

The camera works great underwater! Here's a pic from only a few inches deep pointing towards the shore:

Let's go a little deeper. It's rated for up to 10 feet, but I don't want to get that wet.

I notice some odd little trails around:

Then I find out what makes them:

Now I try to accomplish my goal of photographing fish in their native habitat:

I use some bread to attract them:

Soon some larger fish get interested, but they are very cautious and hard to get a good shot of:

It sounds trite to mention the one that got away, but this would have been a perfect shot, had my timing been just a bit better:

I finally get a decent shot of the larger fish, and consider my goal accomplished. Also, I consider my bread depleted.

Trying to sneak up on these fish gives you a lot more respect for birds like this one. I can barely get close enough to photograph them, even when using bait, there's no way I could touch one.:

I apologize about the low quality of some of these; between the bright sun and the water, I couldn't see the camera's display at all, which made taking these pictures a 'take a blind shot and cross your fingers' kind of activity.
Captain Fertile
Cool stuff mate! I agree entirely what you say about birds and the skill involved with hunting fish.

There is nothing like sitting for eight hours on a lakeshore with a rod and line without a bite then a bird appears for thirty seconds and picks out a huge fish right away!! GRRR!!! Very Happy
Ghost900
Wow that is cool that you can take pictures underwater.

Cameras like that must cost alot and it looks like it has a good image too.

I think you did good on taking pictures with fish. (Those look like Parana Laughing

Captain Fertile you should teach a pet Bird to fish for you. (Makes things alot easier).
vanille
What camera did you use? ^_^ I'm interested in underwater photography.
dickyzin
You can get a waterproof case for taking underwater photos. Usually there are waterproof cases for most new compact Canon cameras. Just put your camera into the case and take in under water. The cases are not cheaat - about 200-300 Australian dollars.
rheanna
Those are very cool...We need some more shots like that ;o) Take some more. Those pictures were great! That's pretty wild. Nice Job.
ocalhoun
vanille wrote:

I use the olympus stylus 720 SW.
It can be taken underwater (up to 10ft) with no additional casing required, although there is a casing you can buy which lets it go deeper.
I paid about $300 for it.

I would highly recommend it to anybody who wants a good quality digital camera that can be dropped on the floor or in the water without taking any harm.
yy1124
frankly speaking....

even if i know the camera can go underwater....
i don't think i will try it without a casing :p

anyway...nice pix you have there, too bad there are no other varieties of fish to be your "model"~
palavra
nice pictures
thanks!
ocalhoun
yy1124 wrote:

even if i know the camera can go underwater....
i don't think i will try it without a casing :p

It did take a bit of courage to dip it in for the first time, but the warranty stated that it was able to go underwater (within specified limits), so I figured that if it couldn't, then it would be best to find out before the warranty period ended.
Annush_K
Awesome! I've always wanted a waterproof case for my camera, but alas they cost quite a lot, and plus I'm always lazy to save up for it. Shame on me, but it's mostly because usually it's too cold here to swim or do anything else underwater xD
djcaution
Awesome! Great pictures I've always wanted a camera that can take pictures underwater. how much did it cost/what kind of camera is it?
ocalhoun
^
ocalhoun wrote:
vanille wrote:

I use the olympus stylus 720 SW.
It can be taken underwater (up to 10ft) with no additional casing required, although there is a casing you can buy which lets it go deeper.
I paid about $300 for it.

I would highly recommend it to anybody who wants a good quality digital camera that can be dropped on the floor or in the water without taking any harm.
skynet
Wow. Great pictured you got there..
Nice view you have there, and nice work with the Camera.
psydevil
waterproof camera?? never heard of it...it looks awesome
wernichtfragt
i bet focusing istn't easy under water?
auto focus wont work, does it?
where are you diving, do you go down with SCUBA gear also? i mean more than 2 meters below sea level ;) thats where the real amazing things happen ;huh =?
ocalhoun
^This camera has 3 special shooting modes for underwater, so the autofocous works just fine, but the problem is you can't see the screen because of the sun and the water. It's hard to get it pointed exactly at the subject of the shot. (The photos I uploaded here are just the best few out of around 50 that I took; most of them didn't turn out well.)

It would be good for snorkeling, but the maximum depth you can take it to is 10 feet, so scuba diving with it would be unwise, at least without buying the waterproof cover for it, which allows you to take it much deeper.
Bengt
Underwater shooting looks like fun actually.
Take a picture of your camera itself (with another one) to show us the camera Smile.
ocalhoun
ocalhoun wrote:
the olympus stylus 720 SW.

This link has pictures of it, even a way to look at it in 3D.
(In the 'interact with camera' link)
Klaw 2
lol a underwater camera how much was it? nice pictures anyway but i would make some pics in clear water not as dirty as that.