FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Add to the search options

linangan
Can we also add options to search only the topic title? This would help limit the search results for the threads you're really looking for. (And would really help prevent/find --and therefore moderate-- duplicate threads.)
billybob
linangan wrote:
Can we also add options to search only the topic title? This would help limit the search results for the threads you're really looking for. (And would really help prevent/find --and therefore moderate-- duplicate threads.)

I dont really think this would be that helpful really... I find the current search function quite adequate

Ryan
ninjakannon
I think this is a good idea; I've often found myself searching for something to ensure I don't create a duplicate thread but got totally irrelevant results. I'm sure adding this option wouldn't be that hard either and it would definitely be worth it in my opinion.
ocalhoun
Usually it works just fine if you make good use of the 'AND' keyword.
mathiaus
If people used titles which were descriptive and relevant to their topics, I'd agree that this could be useful. Unfortunately, people don't. This would mean searching would become more difficult.
ninjakannon
mathiaus wrote:
If people used titles which were descriptive and relevant to their topics, I'd agree that this could be useful. Unfortunately, people don't. This would mean searching would become more difficult.

Yeah, I see your point; however I still disagree with your view of its outcome.

If both search options were available then I would use them both. First off I would search by thread title, if the query returned any relevant results then that's fine and sorted. If no relevant results are returned then I would use the normal search feature to see if I can find anything relevant. This would speed up searching in many cases, however on the occasion when you're looking for something which is included in a topic but not its title you'd be slowed down a bit - but there aren't that many topics which don't have descriptive enough titles, are there? If there are then what I've just said is pretty much pointless, though.
mathiaus
ninjakannon wrote:
... but there aren't that many topics which don't have descriptive enough titles, are there? If there are then what I've just said is pretty much pointless, though.

That's my view based mainly on the support forums and the scripting ones. Searching general chat though or similar forums, it may be of use.