FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Mac Book vs. Windows Vista Laptop





Dean_The_Great
Alright, so I'm going to buy a laptop in the $2000 - $2500 dollar range and I want it to do the following:

-Video Editing
-Audio Editing
-Graphic Design

And also to play games, although that is not it's primary function.

I know that Macs are infamous for their Audio/Video prowess, but will I be limiting myself a great deal with software compatibility?

I work on Macs all the time, but have never owned one, I have only ever owned Windows PCs (well, and a DOS one Razz ).
Bones
I would check around in your local area to see what Mac software is available. In my area at least, if you own a Mac, you are limited to online shopping as no one here carries Mac software.

That way you will know just how much you are or are not limiting yourself.
Xeniczone
Go with macintosh. Though most people think that macintosh are only good for those areas even though they can do anything a Windows computer can do. The reasons I would go with the macintosh is..

Right now Vista sucks. It has no support from communities and Microsoft wants you to pay 30 bucks just to ask a question.

Mac is not quite virus free, but for Tiger running on a Intel computer their are only 1 or 2 virus right now. Their were a few for Tiger PPC version but they haven't been ported so your safer on a Mac.

Vista has the gayest security system ever. Everytime you want to do something it has to ask you are you sure. EVER THING YOU DO. I can't even play the game Fear without it asking me you are about to open fear are you sure. I could stop fear from running as a admin program but then Punkbuster wouldn't work because vista would block it. But thats another dicussion.

You will see a lot better proformance out of Mac OS X Tiger then Windows Vista. Vista is a hardware hog. It can bearly run on some Pentium 4s that are slower then 2ghz. Tiger runs perfect on computers as old as 350mhz. Which leave more hardware power for your programs rather then your OS.

Not sure if this is true but if you use more power from the CPU and GFX card on your OS running idle it will eat your battery. The more the components in the computer are used the more it uses the battery. So Just a guess I need to look that up.

Anyway, thats my opition have fun shopping.
psycosquirrel
I haven't bothered reading the other posts, but in response to the original post--

For your price range and needs, a Mac would be best. It is relatively easy to use one, and there is absolutely no need for you to get a Vista system (there is no reason for Vista right now). A Macbook Pro with an e6600 would scream in performance. Unfortunately, the cute little Mac does not meet all your needs.

You want to game. This is not an option on a Mac. So you should go with a high-end Dell Precision laptop. Don't bother with the XPSs, they are usually overpriced and not as reliable as the Precision series. I would recommend buying the M90 base: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=bwcwezz&s=bsd with XP pro, the upgraded graphics (NVIDIA® Quadro FX 2500M, 512MB (dedicated)), and 2Gb of RAM. Be sure to add the wireless G card, it costs nothing extra and is necessary for modern laptops. You will probably want to step up to a DVD burner and the 7200RPM 160Gb hard drive too. You might as well also add the bluetooth capability for $9 extra.

Configured as I have stated above, the total is $2,439. This system will do everything and anything you could ever imagine doing. It will also game VERY well.

If you have any other questions, reply or PM me. Cool
asianwannabe999
At that price range you might want to look at one of Sony's upper end Vaio series laptops or Lenovo's Thinkpads. While not specifically designed for gaming, both are able to pack a solid performance punch compared to Mac's comparable notebook. Plus you don't want to be a mac person. Look at the following: Twisted Evil

Warning: the following link contains highly biased views. However it is hilarious.
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant
psycosquirrel
I don't recommend Vaios, they aren't too durable, though they perform amazingly.

Thinkpads are really good though, I forgot about them Laughing

Wow, that Mac link was HILARIOUS. I love Macs, but a lot of the stuff on that page is definitely true.
Bones
Xeniczone wrote:

Right now Vista sucks. It has no support from communities and Microsoft wants you to pay 30 bucks just to ask a question.


Not true, you get 2 free support incidents when calling MS support, unless your version is OEM, in which case you should be contacting your OEM

Xeniczone wrote:

Vista has the gayest security system ever. Everytime you want to do something it has to ask you are you sure. EVER THING YOU DO. I can't even play the game Fear without it asking me you are about to open fear are you sure. I could stop fear from running as a admin program but then Punkbuster wouldn't work because vista would block it. But thats another dicussion.


The security system you are referring to is UAC which can be easily turned off.
kiranaghor
Go for macbook pro. u can install parallels and then u can install and use Vista, Os X leopard and Linux at the same time on the same desktop. If u are not much interested in macs go for Lamborgini (Asus) or Ferrari (from Acer).
Both are kool.
pll
Yeah, on a mac there is some ways to install a windows on it!
I would suggest to try it and if you don't like it you switch on an ordinary PC, or you only install MAC OS X on the mac.
Xeniczone
Quote:
Not true, you get 2 free support incidents when calling MS support, unless your version is OEM, in which case you should be contacting your OEM


2 out of 10,000 problems doesn't help much Very Happy
psycosquirrel
Laughing

I help so many people with general Windows issues around the dorm that I got this shirt as a joke: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/388b/

I would not recommend running Vista unless you have experience with tinkering with windows Very Happy
kuka37
I and one of my friend just bought each first own laptop. He goes for a vista based laptop and I go for a Macbook. After comparing the 2 system, I suggest that you go for a MAC OS based one. And in your case, sound like your're a graphic professional, you should go for a Macbook Pro. Mac beats Vista in almost every aspects. It's faster, more stable, almost virus free. You can do anything you want quite the same as windows can except that few games are developed for MAC OS. Anyway, you can use bootcamp or pallarel for it though. Smile
Xeniczone
Quote:
You can do anything you want quite the same as windows can except that few games are developed for MAC OS.


Aspyr makes a lot of the ports for Mac OS X. and if it's a laptop it really doesn't need games. Games generally don't run well on laptops because of their bad intergraded graphic cards.
fadirocks
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:
You can do anything you want quite the same as windows can except that few games are developed for MAC OS.


Aspyr makes a lot of the ports for Mac OS X. and if it's a laptop it really doesn't need games. Games generally don't run well on laptops because of their bad intergraded graphic cards.


most of them really suck at games maybe they'll work well right off buying it at TOP TOP $$$$$$$ but in couple months it's useless Laughing
froginabox
Personally, I would buy the Mac, and as long as you weren't doing really hard-core gaming on it, you could install XP on it as well with BootCamp.
kiranaghor
Dont go for vista laptop. Go for Macbook pro (and NOT macbook) . MAcbook pro has dedicated graphics memory (256MB) and macbook does not. It can share only 64 MB from the main memory making it slower for graphics processing related tasks. Also pro has relatively bigger screen.
Srs2388
I am going to get a macbook pro and use it as a home studio Cool I don't want vista because the programs used to get the studio sound that I want will require a lot of memory. Vista would just use that for it's interface.
Xeniczone
Quote:
most of them really suck at games maybe they'll work well right off buying it at TOP TOP $$$$$$$ but in couple months it's useless


Most macintosh suck at games? Wow I didn't know that. For saying their are only 3 types of macs and only 1 of them suck at games because of it's small graphic card that only has 64mbs of VRam. Thanks for the inaccurate information.


Anyway, I think most laptops Video Ram is based on it's ram, and can be adjusted in the bios or firmware.

The way i see it MacBook is for small and portable, while MacBook Pro isn't very portable but it makes up for in proformance. Then again just about every company has that. Low end portable and high end slightly portable.
psycosquirrel
Your Mac fanboy-ness blinds you. Macs suck at gaming, unless you go with a really high-end with dedicated graphics. Most have integrated GMA950 or worse, which won't run modern games well (if at all).

On the other hand, cheaper Windows laptops have GeForce Go7xxx graphics, with dedicated graphics memory. Most laptops do not share video memory with system memory, unless they are low-end or Macs.

Macs are simply more video-efficient with the OS and apps, so they don't need much graphics horsepower. Unfortunately, that means that they suck at running games that require any sort of graphics card.

About the Macbook though, sure it is light and portable, but starting at $1100, you can get a Windows laptop that completely owns it for much less. The Macbook pro is even worse... That thing is a beast, but it is so horribly overpriced.
Xeniczone
He said MACs suck at gameing. Which they do not. Now the Macintosh laptop yes they suck at gaming, but the desktops except the Mac Mini do not. I have a compaq laptop and it has 256mbs of ram and 64mbs of it is used by the video card.

The iMac has a ATI X1600 stock. and the PowerMac has a GeForce 7300 GT. These are both good graphic cards for gaming. They aren't the best but you can always upgrade. Right away from Apple you can update the Mac Pro to a ATI x1900xt.

Here is what I got
Apple Power Mac: $2,449.00
Two 2.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
1GB (2 x 512MB)
250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)
One 16x SuperDrive
Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
Mac OS X - U.S. English

Dell XPS: $2,415.00
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Duo processor E6420 (4MB L2 Cache,2.13GHz,1066 FSB) edit

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista™ Ultimate edit

MEMORY 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs edit

HARD DRIVE 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst
Cache™ edit

OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit

MONITOR No Monitor edit

VIDEO CARD 256MB nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS edit

SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
My Accessories

SPEAKERS Dell AS501PA 10W Flat Panel Attached Spkrs for Analog Flat Panels edit

KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard edit

MOUSE Dell Optical USB Mouse


The only real difference is that the Power Mac has 2 Graphic cards using and the Dell comes with speakers...

Both come with mice and all that. and the dell is 130mhz faster.

EDIT: My bad. The PowerMac has a Quad Core the Dell only has dual core so I went to correct the specs on dell.com and a quad core XPS starting price is over 4000 dollars so I just stopped there.
psycosquirrel
Uh. What?

Do you even pay attention to what I say, or just go find the best example of how Mac can be close to PC and post it every time?

Now, let's see here. Your Mac that was listed there isn't bad. But for $2500, both systems are a total rip-off. How about we configure a Dell to give it better specs AND a more reasonable price? Instead of going with the "blingy," and therefore, overpriced XPS710, let's look at the XPS410. It STARTS at $900 with these specs:

e4300
Vista Premium
1Gb RAM
250Gb 7200RPM SATA2 HDD
DVD Burner
19" LCD
GeForce 7300LE 256Mb
7.1ch audio
Keyboard, Mouse

At less than half the price of the Mac, you have very competitive specs. BUT that is before we customize it. For $1800, you can get the system with an updated processor, RAM, and video card, that will result in the complete destruction of the Mac:
e6600
Vista Premium
2Gb RAM
250Gb 7200RPM SATA2 HDD
DVD Burner
19" LCD
GeForce 8800GTX 768Mb
7.1ch audio
Keyboard, Mouse

That is using Dell's upgrades. If you have half a brain though, it is quite easy to buy the stock config with an upgraded processor, then throw in 4Gb of DDR2 (you can get it CHEAP, 4Gb is easily under $200 now), and an 8800GTS 640Mb ($300ish), to have a $1400 system that eats the Mac whole.

"But psycosquirrel, what about the two processors the Mac has? OMGZ IT WINZ FROM TEH PROCESSORZ!!11"
No, anyone who thinks that fails. At computing in general. How many apps use two cores, let alone four? You may even see a performance decrease from the extra core, as the NB has more work to do simply because it exists.

Performance on modern systems nowadays comes from three main places: RAM, Video Card, and Processor, respectively. Until you have 2Gb of RAM or more, you will hit a wall with the RAM unless you have a TERRIBLE video card (like worse than late 6 series). The video card will limit you next, and until you are running an 8600 or better, you will probably utilize all the video before the processor, unless you have something that is pre-core 2 duo. So, what this means, is that both the $2500 systems posted in the last reply, suck.

Both would be annihilated by my OLD desktop that has 1.5Gb of RAM, a 7900GS, and an Opty 146 @ 2.8GHz. And I sold that system for only $550. So, again, your argument is completely refuted. Again.
psycosquirrel
But to go even further, because I am really bored right now, how about we see what we can build in the DIY route for a Vista system for $2500?
(pricing from Newegg):
- Q6600 (quad-core anyone? We don't need it, but what the hell...) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819115017
- eVGA 680i SLI mobo (good for upgrades and SLI if desired) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813188019
- 4Gb of Corsair XMS (because XMS is awesome, and we want 4Gb) 2x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820145034
- eVGA 8800GTX 768Mb (only the best.) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814130072
- Corsair 620w PSU (more than enough power) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817139002
- 20x DVD burner (whips the superdrive) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16827106073
- 500Gb 7200RPM hard drive (mmm... space...) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822148246
- Antec p180 (a very nice case, goes well with monitor and keyboard and mouse) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811129154
- Samsung 226BW (the best LCD for under $1000, 22" of goodness) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16824001096
- Logitech G15 keyboard (its really nice, I know I want one Razz ) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16823126179
- Logitech M518 (the best mouse for first person shooters, I love it) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16826104178
- Vista Home (ugh, unfortunately, you probably don't want to pirate it) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16832116196

For a total of $2507.80 before rebates, shipping to my zip code would be $30.32, and the rebates take off $220 (thats a lot of rebates!), bringing the final cost to $2318.12. With this system, you could add an additional 8800GTX in the future too, for even more power. The specifications of the system, hands-down, defeat the Mac. The components even look better in the end, the silver and black theme is very sexy.

It probably took me ~10 mins to find all those parts, and would take me less than an hour to assemble the system. It would take another hour or two to install Windows, then it would be done for the customer. Considering I would charge a user about $25/hr for assembly and an additional $25 for consulting on the specs of the system (telling them what to order basically), the end user would be paying under $2400 for a machine fit for a God. You can't argue with the specs of that system.

PC > Mac.

But enough being off-topic. I don't like endlessly arguing with this to you, Xeniczone, because I don't even think you read my posts or listen to any sort of logic... The original poster was asking about laptops, so this discussion should have focused around them.
Quote:
Now the Macintosh laptop yes they suck at gaming
Do you even recall saying that? The topic is laptops. Not desktops. So stop ranting about how your biased opinion is that Macs are better. It only serves to confuse people who are simply asking for help.
Xeniczone
Quote:
Do you even recall saying that? The topic is laptops. Not desktops. So stop ranting about how your biased opinion is that Macs are better. It only serves to confuse people who are simply asking for help.


First off, Now who is ranting?

Second off, Why did you post 2 posts that take up half a page. If you don't want to confuse somebody? I will say I'm sorry but he said Macs Suck at gaming which they don't. Macintosh Laptops sucks at gaming.

O and Vista Prenium isn't the same as Mac OS X because it's a cut back version. Mac OS X is the full thing what Microsoft would call "Professional" or "Ultimate" not some nutured peice of stercus. I see you post the numbers of the Proc just to make it harder for people to see your Bios opinion. The e4300 is a joke. It has Half the cache and is only 1.8ghz. and the Nvidia that is another joke the Mac has a X1900 that is the best for ATI, and the keyboard an mouse. what the heck are these things. Apple gives you a quality Keyboard and a quality mouse. Where Dell gives you the cheapest peice of plastic they could find. Then you still miss out on software and you pretty much HAVE to buy anti-virus.
psycosquirrel
Actually, Macs do too, at least for their price range.

And I posted two huge replies to get you to stop arguing this pointless topic that seems to come up in every thread you post in. Rolling Eyes

The OP was asking about laptops. Therefore, desktops are irrelevant, and the poster who said Macs suck at gaming, has a valid and relevant point.
Xeniczone
Quote:
Therefore, desktops are irrelevant, and the poster who said Macs suck at gaming, has a valid and relevant point.


Valid and relevant my, but until you can show me some benchmarks that are up-to-date then you can stick with your opinion.

BTW, I got 1451, but that is still missing the Quad core it just a dual, and that is only including 1 8600 GTS, the Macintosh has Dual X1900XT. Either way it's still very hard to configure to the exact specs because either company has it's own standard, and your right don't know why you need a quad core because Windows doesn't support it Razz.
psycosquirrel
Benchmarks? Of what? Anyways, I wouldn't find any, because you can't benchmark a Mac vs a PC, it is an irrelevant argument that goes nowhere, like our arguments on the subject do. Razz

Who said Windows doesn't support quads?

We have 16-core servers at work, running Windows Server 2003. We have an 8-core video-editing workstation running XP Pro SP2 with 3Gb of RAM. We have countless quad core servers too. I mean, saying Windows doesn't support quad is like saying Windows doesn't support more than 2Gb of RAM. It usually makes no sense to have more than that, but you can, and it works fine if you have progs that can use that much.
Jaan
Macs suck at gaming...

Get a Windows laptop definitely. The only downside is that you won't be able to use Logic (audio). That's the only thing I regret about getting a Windows notebook. There's so much more you can do with it.
733tv
Get the Vista Laptop if you want gaming too. Just install Photoshop, Sony Vegas and Sony Acid Pro and there is the graphics/video/audio programs you need. Not many games are available for Mac.
d_curry_09
Quote:
Macs suck at gaming...

Get a Windows laptop definitely. The only downside is that you won't be able to use Logic (audio). That's the only thing I regret about getting a Windows notebook. There's so much more you can do with it.


That isn't even on topic. He isn't looking for a gaming laptop, and who really cares which one is good at gaming they both proform excellent at what they do. They are both very universal systems. Neither is better then the other. Look at them, Apples aren't overpriced. They are very similar systems to their counter parts.

Based on that, I would go with a Apple Notebook just for the fact you wouldn't have to buy Anti-Virus software. You wouldn't have to buy it on a windows system either, but we will see which one lasts longer without Anti-Virual Software Wink.

Next is the fact if you decide you hate Mac OS X you can always install Windows on the Apple Hardware. You go with Dell or Alienware or Gateway, etc. You can't do that. If you hate Windows then your suck with it unless you get new hardware.
andy26
Go with the windows based laptop i wouldnt realy choose the vista operating system till they have fixed their bugs but windows can support the most programs and the only reason mac doesnt get viruses is because who wants to waste their time programing code for a mac thats why they dont have many games and programs compatible to the mac because its lame most people only realise that mac exist because of their crappy mp3 player the ipod. but anyway back on the topic choose a laptop for windows try to find an xp laptop or get vista im sure it will be great in their next service pack, you can get great free antivirus and anti spyware and free firewalls so easily such as avg, zone alarm. im sure their is a wider range of editing programs to, i use a lot my self on my xp based laptop and pc. and when a really good game comes out that you want you would be kicking yourself if you bought a mac and the game said pc only.
d_curry_09
Once again, the first thing you think off when it comes to a mac is Music, ipod and video editing. Mac is so much more then that. Thats like looking at Linux and thinking thats only good for servers. Thats like looking at block of metal and thing it's just a block of metal, a paper weight if you will. When then chunk of metal is so much more than that. That chunk of metal may be the next great engine to run on a better fuel then Gasoline.

Apple has plenty of software to choose from. All of which is soly based on their hardware.

Apple has plenty of games though they are mostly first person shooters they have a little of everything for everyone. Including Doom3, The Sim, and World of Warcraft just to name some of the most popular games from today. Though I will admit I do most of my gaming on a PC I do have some games for Mac including Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 and it's not bad.

Hardware as proven before in this topic isn't as expencive as everybody thinks. They seem to ignore the lower end macs and shoot for the most expensive thing they can find on Apples website and say "o, I can't afford that". Well no crap you can't because the starting price of that is 2000 some dollars. Why did you overlook the Mac Mini which still has the High End Intel Core Duo Cpu. Then if you still want something slower look on ebay, and don't forget the MHz Myth for the G4's (though it probably doesn't apply for G5's) Where they proved that a G4 running at 800mhz runs just as well and even better then the Intel P4 Running at 1.7Ghz.

When that really good games comes out for PC then he can go get himself a copy of windows XP and install it on the Mac.

http://boldgames.stores.yahoo.net/
http://www.macgamestore.com/
http://www.aspyr.com/product/search?title=&title_menu=&platform=1&genre=&esrb=&x=27&y=8

Thats just some of them.


Maybe their are no viruses because it's not as easy to make viruses for a system that doesn't hide stuff deep deep within the OS. Where windows you have a RegEdit that controls the entire system then you have system files that can easily be edited. I found stuff on the internet that is just genious with what they come up for with windows. Like one promises to start your computer up quicker but once you install it all it does is replace the login.exe file in the system32 so everytime your comptuer logs in it restarts. Though it's a simple fix for some people under safe mode others would spend 200 just to get the computer looked at and another 50-100 to get it fixed.
bigdbag
-Video Editing

Both Macs and Pc's have excellent video editing software available. Adobe provides the pc side with Premiere, while Mac provides Final Cut. The following link should tell you about both. Essentially the gist is that while FCP is more the industry standard these days, Premiere is slandered against by many people based on outdated information, and in fact the two softwares provide almost exactly the same features.
http://www.mediacollege.com/video/editing/software/comparison/premiere-fcp.html

-Audio Editing

I don't know much about what Mac provides, besides Garage Band. For PC's there are many options. Some of them may be available for Mac, I don't know. Cubase, Sony Acid, Cake Walk Sonar, are the most popular ones.

-Graphic Design

Adobe's Creative Suite is probably the best thing out there. For Mac users, just use bootcamp and what not. I've read that option works the best for people who want to do graphics editing on Macs.
gnubug
Ok, lets just keep this simple, Get the Mac, you can load vista on the apple with apple bootcamp and dual boot between osx and vista or xp or linux, etc...


This way you have the best of all worlds. You can not load os x on anything else but the apple, (unless you looking at a hackintosh, and even then things are not working correctly, and the speed is no where near what it is on a real apple system.


Would you buy a car that only used say "chevy" gas, or would you buy a car that allows you to put any damn gas you want in it?
psycosquirrel
d_curry-- The low-end Macs are terrible. Why pay $500 for something with GMA integrated, that is WORSE than a 5500!? It's stupid.

gnubug-- As illegal as it is, the hackintosh actually works great. You just have to have the right hardware (hmm, sounds familiar, maybe from REAL MACS?)

I barely use my hackintosh. Everything works better on Windows but movie editing... And the only reason I can't use the Windows machine for video editing is because I would have to do some very illegal and very creative pirating to use anything decent on Windows, whereas I can use a friend's license on the hackintosh... Oh, and I wouldn't bother to buy a car that runs only on "chevy" gas. Which is why I wouldn't buy a Mac.

Why are we still arguing Mac vs PC anyways? This is so OT it is sad.
Bones
gnubug wrote:


This way you have the best of all worlds. You can not load os x on anything else but the apple, (unless you looking at a hackintosh, and even then things are not working correctly, and the speed is no where near what it is on a real apple system.


Hackintosh works about as well as boot camp does. Does Apple even support boot camp now? This time last year they were punting all their boot camp calls to Microsoft to troubleshoot software that they didn't even make Rolling Eyes

Besides, you can install Linux on any pc, who needs Mac OS when you have Windows and linux in a dual boot?

My opinion is that if you do basic computer stuff or are not very technical, then go with a Mac. It's a great OS for beginners. If you are a gamer or an intermediate computer user, go with Windows. Any computer user who has some knowledge will have no problems in Windows. If you are an advanced user, go for some distro of linux.

bigdbag wrote:


Graphic Design

Adobe's Creative Suite is probably the best thing out there. For Mac users, just use bootcamp and what not. I've read that option works the best for people who want to do graphics editing on Macs.


Umm you do know that Adobe makes photoshop for Mac right?
d_curry_09
Hackintosh is horrible.

First it's illegal.

Second nothing works, everything is made to run on mac specific hardware, were as PCs don't have that specific hardware.
Bones
I don't run it myself but has a friend that does and it seems to run fairly well for him.
d_curry_09
Though it is illegal either way. I don't think apple will mind as long as he bought the actual disk the one that cost 130 dollars from the apple store.

The last thing Apple users, like myself, want Apple to do is start making product code and software activation. With fruitcakes stealing Mac OS X then illegally installing it on PCs this may just happen.

Quote:
d_curry-- The low-end Macs are terrible. Why pay $500 for something with GMA integrated, that is WORSE than a 5500!? It's stupid.


They aren't terrible, and why should people listen to you when you have never even used one?
psycosquirrel
Never used one? When did I say that!? I use Macs all the time!

And I have used MANY low-end Macs. My best friend owns one, a Mac Mini to be specific... The specs of my hackintosh are nearly identical, and I didn't pay a penny for it. I was given the system when it was broken, and fixed it with old parts.

And FYI-- no matter how questionable the legality of my hackintosh is, I have procured a legitimate, broken Mac with the same exact version I installed on my system. Since I do not use the system and have degaussed the hard drive, my hackintosh is TECHNICALLY legitimate.
d_curry_09
Yes, but you've only covered part of the problem. You have a Mac OS X license. Good. You do have an Apple Computer though broken, but you havn't covered the fact that it breaks the Lisence Agreement that you MUST agree to before installing.
Bones
And people slam Microsoft for being proprietary?? Apple are the kings of proprietary software. The next time I hear a Mac user spout off about the .doc format hahaha I'll just point and laugh.
kiranaghor
If one wants to use windows only then macbook is not an option. I doubt if vista will work well on macbook coz it needs at least 128 MB of graphics card memory and macbook (not pro) got only 64 MB to share. Thats sad.
froginabox
Actually, my roommate bought a copy of Vista Basic and installed it with boot camp, no problem. Then again, he got the best MacBook Pro, basically went to the 17" screen one and checked all the biggest option boxes (it was a birthday present from a very rich relative).
psycosquirrel
Shocked

All the most expensive options? Isn't that like at least a $5000 laptop?
froginabox
Well, I just went to Apple's website and sorted it all out... grand total was $4,447.00, minus sales tax and shipping.

I told you it was from the rich uncle. Razz
psycosquirrel
Yea, no kidding. I'm amazed how close I was though, $5000 was a complete guess Very Happy
jharsika
Question: Is there any software for Mac that is comparable to my PC favorites Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Corel WordPerfect, etc?

Another question, do Macs actually run any smoother? Some people like to keep few files, but apparently once you start downloading widgets and using up RAM and memory etc, a Mac gets as slow as a PC with a virus/spamware etc.....I'd just like to hear a comparison about general speed of the two.
psycosquirrel
Photoshop has a Mac port (it was originally designed for Mac, until Adobe decided it was more profitable to focus on PC); not sure about Paint Shop, but I'm sure there is something; I think Wordperfect is a PDF editor, Adobe Writer would work great, or Microsoft Word if you don't need the PDF functions.

As with PC, how smoothly a Mac runs is completely dependent on two things-- how much crap you are running and the hardware. The better the hardware (usually the more you spend), the more crap you can run before it gets slow.

Generally though, Macs come with as much, or more, bloatware than PCs. Macs are certainly more user-friendly, but PCs have more functionality. It really is a matter of preference...
Jaan
Mac is best for Video editing/compositing (apple shake/fusion), and audio editing (logic).

For gaming you'd have to set up a dual boot of Windows. Laptop wise though they don't have any killer cards atm. However if you had a Mac tower with the quadro 4500M + octa core then I'd take it back that mac's suck at gaming.

Admittedly you could play any game on a mac laptop with decent-low settings, but not very good for gaming.

If you go through the trouble to dual boot windows then it may be worth it. I'd much rather be dual booting windows and linux, as all popular software runs on those (apart from logic for music, but live/cubase/reason get you through on a pc box).

Cheers. Just another rant/thinking.
psycosquirrel
Actually, the Quadro 4500M wouldn't be that spectacular in games. It is based on the G70 GPU, so it would be easily outperformed by an 8800. And starting with the min config with oct cores and the 4500, you start at around $5700...

I sold a Shuttle SN26P with a single-core Opty 146 @ 2.8GHz, with 1Gb of RAM and a 7900GS for only $450. It would easily outperform the $5700 Mac Pro system in games.

One cool thought about the Mac would be trying to get the Mac Pro to run with an 8800, then dual-boot Vista or XP Pro. That would result in the sexiest dual-booting gaming system ever.
Related topics
Windows Vista Official Thread
Windows Vista Beta 1
Windows 64 VS Windows 32
Wait for Windows Vista to buy PC?
WINDOWS VISTA INSTALLATION HELP
Windows Vista vs Mac OS X
Windows Vista Software Compatibility
Windows Vista
Windows XP Vs. Windows Vista?
Halo 2 for Windows Vista
Para dar paso a Vista WINDOWS XP FUERA EN 2008
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit
Mac OS feature for vista
Ubuntu 12.04 vs. Windows Vista
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.