FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cedega

Porcelain Trainwreck
Not really an operating system, but it pertains to them. I am seriously thinking about getting linux and running cedega on it for all my gaming needs, I was just wondering from people who have used it if: a)It is necessary to buy a subscription in order to use it to run games, and, b)What is your opinion of it from experience?
{name here}
You're probably better off using WINE because you don't pay jack and it's just about as good.
Xeniczone
Wine doesn't emulator or do anything about direct X. It only emulates Windows APIs to run windows Programs.

But Cedega is for games not windows programs. I don't know how well it runs I heard they were making a Macintosh version and thats the Version I would be getting when it is released.
{name here}
Xeniczone wrote:
Wine doesn't emulator or do anything about direct X. It only emulates Windows APIs to run windows Programs.

But Cedega is for games not windows programs. I don't know how well it runs I heard they were making a Macintosh version and thats the Version I would be getting when it is released.

You can run Half-Life 1 in Wine which uses DX 8. I've done it before.
Porcelain Trainwreck
Unfortunately for me, my appetite for games is a tad more advanced and, unfortunately, expensive, than HL1...

EDIT: So I do have to pay if I want to use cedega? its not just pay for support?
{name here}
Porcelain Trainwreck wrote:
Unfortunately for me, my appetite for games is a tad more advanced and, unfortunately, expensive, than HL1...

EDIT: So I do have to pay if I want to use cedega? its not just pay for support?

There is more than HL 1 that's supported go to http://winehq.com/ . They have an application database of working games. I believe games like HL2 are supported, but I haven't checked.
Bones
You might want to check out this link:
http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI5OCwxLCxoY29uc3VtZXI=

It's basically a guy who spent 30 days using nothing but Ubuntu as an OS to see if it was a viable alternative to Windows or Mac OS. It also has some information about Cedega and the problems he had with it.

Personally, I think if you want to game, then you should probably dual boot linux and Windows since (unfortunately) Linux isn't a very good OS for gaming.

Yes I know the die hard linux fans will probably hate me now, but I think linux is great, just not for games.
{name here}
Bones wrote:
You might want to check out this link:
http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI5OCwxLCxoY29uc3VtZXI=

It's basically a guy who spent 30 days using nothing but Ubuntu as an OS to see if it was a viable alternative to Windows or Mac OS. It also has some information about Cedega and the problems he had with it.

Personally, I think if you want to game, then you should probably dual boot linux and Windows since (unfortunately) Linux isn't a very good OS for gaming.

Yes I know the die hard linux fans will probably hate me now, but I think linux is great, just not for games.

There are several decent games for Linux. I believe there is a port of Doom III for Linux.
Bones
Quake 4 (through Cedega), and the Unreal Tournaments, and I believe Neverwinter Nights work well in linux too

I did not mean to imply that you can't game on linux..just that if you want to be able to play most games, especially most of the newer ones, that Windows would be an easier way to go.
Nyizsa
Bones wrote:
Quake 4 (through Cedega), and the Unreal Tournaments, and I believe Neverwinter Nights work well in linux too...

Most (if not all) of id's games are available for Linux, so you don't need Cedega nor Wine to run them.
Also don't forget that ANY game developer can make a Linux port of its game, not id only. Wink
Bones
It's really too bad that more game manufacturers wouldn't make linux versions of their software. If as many games were available for linux as there were for Windows, then I'd probably run linux.
photon
Unfortunately, cedega doesn't completely support all games. And not all of them run without problems. Agreed its probably the best platform for running games on linux. But the performance issues and limited library of games maybe something to hold you back. I personally was a gamer and played most of the newest games. But after switching to linux a month back, ive found its pretty tough to emulate games on linux. Also cedega isnt free, so that is another issue for me