FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Noob question

Porcelain Trainwreck
Hi, I just started messing around with computer hardware about 2 weeks ago, and I have a quick question. If I install a hard drive into a pc, is it really crucial that I put in a drive bay, or can I just leave it hanging and it will still work? Very Happy Yes, I am very lazy. Smile
jay84h
It's fine if you leave it hanging, as long as it's connected to the ports, it's just a very messy way of doing things. Drive bays are there to make it tidy and neat, especailly if you carry the Tower, the hard drive is locked down rather than hanging from the cords. It isn't recommend to have it like that as it could damage the motherboard or even the hard drive. Why not consider getting an external hard drive?
Donutey
Leave it hanging? You mean hanging by the data and power cables? Bad idea. The two situations that come to mind are:

A) A cable becomes unseated and the drive becomes corrupted/fried
B) Both cables come unplugged and the drive goes splat onto the bottom of the case and never works again.

Not to mention any movement of the drive while it is working is generally bad. (Swinging back and forth Rolling Eyes )

If you are swapping drives a lot you can always get screw less drive bays, or just use one or two screws to hold the drive temporarily in place. If you've left it hanging for lack of drive bays, I've duck taped a drive to the bottom of a case before, to keep it temporarily secure.
Bones
To be honest, I don't know how true this is, but I have always been told that the drive should be mounted as close to vertical or horizontal as possible to save wear and tear on the read/write heads and platters.

Also, if the drive is actually 'hanging' from the cables, that is not a good situation as the cable could easily come unplugged.
gh0stface
Bones wrote:
To be honest, I don't know how true this is, but I have always been told that the drive should be mounted as close to vertical or horizontal as possible to save wear and tear on the read/write heads and platters.

I never thought about that, but that IS a good point.

However, for short term use, hanging by the cables won't damage it too severely or have minimal damage. But than again, better safe than sorry.
Jaan
Depends if your case is tiny and the drive is resting on the bottom. Temporarily that would be a solution. Or try searching google for source of problem.
shears
pll
If you let your hard drive hanging out and you want to move your computer, you will need to get it in the bay before you move the computer.

And is there a ventilo for the hard drives ? If there is one it could superheat!
Porcelain Trainwreck
Bones wrote:

Also, if the drive is actually 'hanging' from the cables, that is not a good situation as the cable could easily come unplugged.

Thats what I was worried about, the non-horizontal wear and tear. Of course, I would never be doing this on a computer and drive that I actually cared about, and I already took it out because the one time I tried to boot it like that, it wouldn't. I might try again later when I get less busy. Thanks for the answers everyone.
psycosquirrel
The bays are there for a reason. Don't consider being lazy building computers, it will lead to failure. Sad

Hard drives are more prone to failure unless they are at a 90 degree angle on any plane relative to the ground. In other words, you can mount upside down, vertically, whatever, as long as it is parallel or perpendicular to the ground.

As for using the mounts, do it. If your hard drive rests on the bottom of your case, it is possible that the PCB will short to the grounded case and kill the hard drive.
rheanna
Bad Idea to leave it hanging. They have the slots there for a reason.

*Dust will collect and you should which I always do about every month is take a small vacuum and clean the dust out of the computer tower.

*Wire Connection will get torn/worn

Hey if you want the computer acting up then leave it hanging..Because your computer won't last long.

GL
Zyphrius
ok, leaving a hdd hanging by it's cables....

Well if you are just testing it and only want it in for a few mins to make sure it is working and don't want to go through the process of screwing it in to have to just unscrew again thats fine.

But... if you plan on using this drive at all and leaving it hanging in this fashion, I would say that this would be a very bad idea and you should definetly screw it into a bay. Leaving it hanging could cause the hdd to move while it is on and that can cause problems as it could move into something else, like a fan, the motherboard or anything else in the case and breake more than just hdd. The cables could tear or having that kind of strain could possibly cause the cables to fry which could cause even more issues.

So.. if you are just leaving the drive in for a few mins to test it, it should not be a big deal at all, but if you plan on actually using the computer in this fashion you will definetly run into issues. So I would definetly recommend against this action. Just screw it in, all u need are 2 screws, it's neater and safer.

Becareful when building computers, don't be sloppy or you will run into issues.

Have fun with the build, I hope it goes well
ForceRun
It would be best always to mount the Hard Drive, but it will run hanging from the wirers, just the not best set up. Most Hard Drives seem derable, but you have to pay the hard ware so you choose. I personally always mount my drive, and if I have time I like fix up the cable to allow for a nice strong connection and the best possible air flow. I do move my system around a lot so I like to know that it won't fall apart.
diduknowthat
It would work, but it's not very safe, especially if you're running RAID. Also, it's really bad if the harddrive gets bumped for shaken during operation.