FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


update or buy a brand new pc???





traxion
hey all

im not very up to date with the newest hardware but im thinking of updating my pc to play the new games

my pc is now


motherboard: GigaByte S754 K8N nForce3 800F LAN 6usb
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, 2.0GHz
Memory: 1,5G ram
Video card nVidia GF FX5700 256 DDR DVI TV (very bad.. i now)

do u need more info? plz tell me i will try to give u

now the question what are my options..

can i update my video card and then i can play again all the new games or do i need to update more..

a few games i cant play

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas he even dont start
Test Drive Unlimited : it has got a very big lag (even when playing all low)
fadirocks
Dude I got slower video card and still worked
GA-8KNF-2 939 AMD64 3000+ Winchester
1GB RAM 400 dual channel
GF 6600 256MB

so my video card older it actually started but it was really messed up so my bro patched it up and followed some tweak guide online and modded the crap out of the config files Smile

This game is poorly written I don't know what kinda system you need to make it run properly so I don't think you should update or get a new system hehe also if you update not sure whats the fastest CPU you can get for your socket I know my 939 is up to X2 4800+
jay84h
Why update, are you into gaming? If so you may want to purchase seperate parts for cooling, such as fans, and make sure ventilation is good. You may want a new processor, AMD Dual Core I would recommend. Any other information you can certainly ask.
traxion
jay84h wrote:
Why update, are you into gaming? If so you may want to purchase seperate parts for cooling, such as fans, and make sure ventilation is good. You may want a new processor, AMD Dual Core I would recommend. Any other information you can certainly ask.


jep for gaming and jep i buy the parts sepeate.. and not a standard pc @ the mycom

way update .. its cheaper:P but is it use full for me?
jay84h
If you want you could build your own computer, it's much cheaper to purchase the parts seperately, and if you purchase all parts at the same time, who knows, you may receive a discount.

I would recommend a Dual Core Processor, AMD would be the suggestion as AMD dominates Intel in regards to gaming. I would recommend Dual channel RAM as well, which will help you perform to the highest standards.
Zalman heatsink would do you nicely in regards to heat desipation, Zalman is *THE GEAR*.

OCZ or GEIL would be my recommendation on RAM, you can either get 2 512MB sticks or 2 gig sticks, it's your preference. OCZ & GEIL are the two most top of the line RAM you can get. I use OCZ and it works wonders. I have heard good things on GEIL as well.

In regards to a power supply? Make sure you have no less than a 500W PSU. A 400W would do you, but that would be the minimum you will need. A 500W PSU would be recommended, you say you are a gamer? Go with Enermax, any true gamer would choose the same.

Choosing a motherboard can be tricky, because you must know exactly what you want in order to know exactly what the motherboard will support. LanParty all the way, it is the best for gaming. ASUS is 2nd best for gaming, but LanParty would be best for you to get the most out of what you will want.

Graphics? PCI-e obviously, as AGP is being phased out faster and faster. Plus PCI-e is 2X faster than AGP having a bus speed of 16X. I go with ATI myself, but again this is your own preference as to which graphics vendor you prefer most.

At least, what you would like to keep everything cool inside. Again, this is your personal preference, simply becasue you will need to admire the extermal remedies of your system........THE CASE! Antec is good maker of cases, try and find a case that's specific for gaming so that you can have the best cooling. I have the Antec Nine Hundred Hardcore Gaming Case, and if anything overheats in that thing, than there certainly a problem, LOL.
psycosquirrel
Since your system is AGP s754, it is probably time for an upgrade. Try to sell your system locally on Craigslist, you should be able to get at least $350 out of it.

jay84h wrote:
I would recommend a Dual Core Processor, AMD would be the suggestion as AMD dominates Intel in regards to gaming. I would recommend Dual channel RAM as well, which will help you perform to the highest standards.


I don't know where you have been since the release of Core 2 Duo, but it is just as cheap and easily outperforms AMD. I agree with most of the info in your post though. You are a bit too biased about your components, just because they are what you have in your system doesn't mean they are the best. Cool

A Zalman heatsink is nice, but unneeded unless you are overclocking.

Seasonic, FSP, and PC Power and Cooling are also good power supplies. XClio is also good if you are on a budget. Enermax is decent, but you are better off with an XClio. You don't need more than 450w or 500w unless you are running SLI.

As for RAM, Corsair XMS is the best, OCZ is a really close second, and Geil is just okay. I would try to go with Buffalo or Crucial before Geil... Don't bother with 512Mb sticks, get one or two 1Gb sticks. You could always get one 1Gb stick now and wait until later to get another to have 2x1Gb in dual channel.

Motherboards vary. You don't need a DFI LANparty unless you need all its features and overclockability. Asus is good, but sometimes too costly. If you want ultimate reliability, go with an Intel. Gigabyte, eVGA, and ABIT are pretty good too. Try to avoid PC Chips and ECS, they are LOW-end and can cause failure.

PCI-E x16 bus is NOT 2 times faster than the 4x/8x AGP bus! I hate constantly correcting people about this. The relative bandwidth of the bus from AGP to PCI-E has NOTHING to do with the number of lanes (the x16). A PCI-E x16 bus has twice as much bandwidth as a PCI-E x8 bus, but at the same time, the PCI-E x8 bus has several more times more bandwidth than the AGP 8x/4x slot. As of right now, NVIDIA is a better route for graphics, as you get more price for your performance. A 7600GT or 7900GS would probably work quite well for your needs.

Finally, pick a case that represents the components inside. There is no reason to get a $200 case if you have only $600 of components in it! Get a cheaper case (the Centurion 5 is a GREAT case for only $50) and throw the money you save off buying an expensive case towards more RAM.

For a hard drive, get a Western Digital Caviar or Raptor (depending on your budget), or a Samsung Spinpoint. Seagates are pretty good too. The CD/DVD drive doesn't matter too much, but Lite-Ons are usually good and cheap.


If you want me to, I can get you a good list of parts you should order off Newegg for a certain price range (if you have one in mind).
Good luck with your build!
jay84h
Your kidding right? Some newzors around here. Intel will NEVER out perform AMD, it's a known fact, you take meters and hook them up to the AMD chip vs. the Intel chip, you will see a better performance from the AMD. I got all of what I have because they are all high quality, I didn't say they we're THE BEST, but they are the top of the line available. You obviously don't know your stuff if you think I listed those specs because they are mine. Why did I get these? Because they are *THE GEAR*, playing Counter-Strike: Source, my PC has a tough time going under 280FPS, usually ranges from 280-300FPS. My core is cooled highly, being roughly 33 degrees, when a high end graphics game is being ran, then it will go up to around 37 degrees. He can make his choice, I am just pointing him in the right direction. And BTW, being directed into the direction of the Intel, you'll literally kick yourself for it.
glenn83e
jay84h wrote:
Your kidding right? Some newzors around here. Intel will NEVER out perform AMD, it's a known fact, you take meters and hook them up to the AMD chip vs. the Intel chip, you will see a better performance from the AMD. I got all of what I have because they are all high quality, I didn't say they we're THE BEST, but they are the top of the line available. You obviously don't know your stuff if you think I listed those specs because they are mine. Why did I get these? Because they are *THE GEAR*, playing Counter-Strike: Source, my PC has a tough time going under 280FPS, usually ranges from 280-300FPS. My core is cooled highly, being roughly 33 degrees, when a high end graphics game is being ran, then it will go up to around 37 degrees. He can make his choice, I am just pointing him in the right direction. And BTW, being directed into the direction of the Intel, you'll literally kick yourself for it.


Haha you tell em buddy. Intel does indeed suck. AMD is da bomb all the way. not too sure what I have in mine lol dun really care cos it does what I want it to do but I saw yours and Bruce's and it was da bomb indeed.
jay84h
glenn83e wrote:
jay84h wrote:
Your kidding right? Some newzors around here. Intel will NEVER out perform AMD, it's a known fact, you take meters and hook them up to the AMD chip vs. the Intel chip, you will see a better performance from the AMD. I got all of what I have because they are all high quality, I didn't say they we're THE BEST, but they are the top of the line available. You obviously don't know your stuff if you think I listed those specs because they are mine. Why did I get these? Because they are *THE GEAR*, playing Counter-Strike: Source, my PC has a tough time going under 280FPS, usually ranges from 280-300FPS. My core is cooled highly, being roughly 33 degrees, when a high end graphics game is being ran, then it will go up to around 37 degrees. He can make his choice, I am just pointing him in the right direction. And BTW, being directed into the direction of the Intel, you'll literally kick yourself for it.


Haha you tell em buddy. Intel does indeed suck. AMD is da bomb all the way. not too sure what I have in mine lol dun really care cos it does what I want it to do but I saw yours and Bruce's and it was da bomb indeed.


HAHA, thx dude, enjoying your day off? lol
psycosquirrel
Wow, watch yourself.

I'm a Computer Engineer at Georgia Tech.

I do this stuff for a living, and I am telling you and your buddy that you are wrong. Benchmarks don't lie, and they UNANIMOUSLY say that Core 2 Duos outperform any of AMD's chips.

You are being immature, "newzors," and calling your system "*THE GEAR*" is rude and shows your inexperience as not only a person, but also as a computer user.


I don't care what you think. I care about properly informing the members of this forum about hardware, because that is what the forum is about. When you misinform someone, they will eventually be corrected by someone more experienced, and that could create an awkward situation, especially if people like you are acting so certain about AMD's "superiority."


Oh, and in case you are wondering, I am running an AMD system.
asianwannabe999
Both posters saying that AMD outperforms Intel are completely wrong. Core 2 Duo absolutely pwns AMD's FX series, easily, and uses less power.

As for gaming, I think you should just stick in another 512 mb to get to 2 gigs of ram and maybe a dirt cheap nVidia 7600GT DDR3, which you can get for USD $90 at newegg.com. That'll give you enough oomph to do most currents games at medium to high settings. Your processor's a little on the old side but it'll definitely do. You may want to upgrade to a low end FX or for a better deal an AMD 64 3800+ or 4000+.
jay84h
I have seen some benchmarks, you may indeed be right, but AMD is still the way to go for gaming, bar non. Make no question about it, when the Barcelona is released, it will literally CRUSH Intel, in very big ways.
psycosquirrel
How is AMD still the way to go for games? Core 2 Duo is cheap enough now, and easily outperforms AMD, so why do you think AMD is still the best for gaming? Since Intel delivers better performance at the same or lower price, it is better for gaming. Not to mention you can multitask like crazy with that second core.

You can't say Barcelona will beat Intel yet. Only benchmarks and real-life testing can do that. Making assumptions is BAD, especially about a part that comes out in 3 months (Barcelona and R600 are going to have simultaneous releases). And who knows, by then, Intel may have surprised us with something even better than C2D. The hardware market changes so rediculously fast that it is unwise to make assumptions about AMD's future "superiority" this far from the release.

But who knows, you may be right about Barcelona, and I may have been in the wrong for criticizing your assumptions. If that day comes, I'll eat my words. I'm simply stating that you shouldn't assume new "innovations" in computer hardware will be improvements, especially from rival companies.
jay84h
AMD worked it's way to the top didn't they? There was once a time where AMD did not exist, and there was only Intel. Then out of nowhere AMD came along and took Intel to it's knees. Sure Intel is getting back up, but how do you know that AMD isn't going to come back ten times stronger? Don't they always do? Haven't you learned in the passed that AMD comes back with something far superior? I am not going to assume anything, but I am taking into consideration that AMD can come back bigger again. How can you say Intel can be superior? As far as I know, Intel has been around a helluvva lot longer than AMD has been, and they've struggled with the youngest competitor? That is something to think about.
Zyphrius
Overall I think everyone can agree that Intel and AMD are great processors, they have each lead the other at different times. One year it is Intel in the lead and the other it is AMD, and in comparison AMD is the younger of the two, when it first came out most people including myself would not give them a chance, trust a new company and all that.

But AMD did win trust and that is all I use now, because I am a gamer, I personnaly believe that AMD performs better than Intel for gaming and that Intel performs better for video encoding and other related venues.

I can't wait to see what the Barcelona is going to bring into the equasion, from first impressions it appears that will outperofm everything that Intel has to offer to date, but who know Intel may have something coming out aswell to compete with the Barcelona.

Personnaly I am glad that AMD are competing with each other as they are because they are forcing each to make better and better products.

Keep up the great work AMD and Intel

Enjoy it in all things people!
psycosquirrel
jay84h wrote:
AMD worked it's way to the top didn't they?

They did... Last year. Now Intel has easily smacked AMD back down with Core 2 Duo

jay84h wrote:
There was once a time where AMD did not exist, and there was only Intel. Then out of nowhere AMD came along and took Intel to it's knees.

Intel: Founded in 1968 in California.
AMD: Founded in 1969 in California.

AMD did not come out of nowhere, nor did Intel. AMD originally started as a simple chip manufacturer, moved up to RAM, and eventually entered the processor business. Until the release and mainstream use of socket 754 (or arguably, 939), they were considered very shady and NEVER used by business. Their innovations with 939 brought them ahead of Intel, for the first time. This superiority lasted no more than 6 months.

jay84h wrote:
Sure Intel is getting back up, but how do you know that AMD isn't going to come back ten times stronger? Don't they always do?

Intel isn't getting back up. AMD has fallen back down. They won't come back 10 times stronger, if they even come back at all. They never have before, but who knows, they may.

jay84h wrote:
Haven't you learned in the passed that AMD comes back with something far superior? I am not going to assume anything, but I am taking into consideration that AMD can come back bigger again. How can you say Intel can be superior?

You just did assume something. That AMD and Intel are really competitors and AMD comes out top, then Intel, and it is a constant struggle for the #1 spot. This is not the case. Intel is the giant. They COULD put AMD out of business, but they don't to prevent a monopoly. It is the same way with Windows and Mac.

I can say Intel is superior because they are. Have you seen any benchmarks of Core 2 Duo versus Athlon X2? Core 2 Duo smokes Athlon, no questions asked. And Core 2 Duo is cheaper.

I can't have learned from the "passed" (I assume you mean past) that AMD will come back, because they have come out on top only once.

jay84h wrote:
As far as I know, Intel has been around a helluvva lot longer than AMD has been, and they've struggled with the youngest competitor? That is something to think about.

Hmmm. About a year.

Their youngest competitor is VIA, but VIA just sucks. They were founded in 1987, in case you are wondering.

And it is not something to think about either. Intel is simply a better business than AMD. They have 5 times the revenue and about the same times more employees. They not only produce processors, but also chipsets, motherboards, memory, and tons of other components. AMD only produces processors and other chips for specialized use.


But the bottom line here is the numbers. Statistics and benchmarks don't lie, and they UNANIMOUSLY state that Core 2 Duo easily outperforms Athlon. The better the performance, the better the component is for gaming. Therefore, INTEL > AMD. So please, stop wasting my time, as you clearly know absolutely NOTHING about what you are talking about, and are only serving to misinform the community about processors.
jay84h
Those years we're when the actual companies we're founded. They could have been making chips for applicances for all we know. Several years later, Intel started to make chips for personal computers ranging back to the Pentium 120's, AMD did not thing about going into the computer business. Years passed and Intel was by themselves making computer chips for every computer imaginable, from the original Pentium, to the Pentium 2, 3, and finally the 4th. This is wehn AMD got into making computer chips, maybe around when the P3 was here. maybe before. What I am explaining is that AMD was into the computer business for a very short time before they took Intel on and actually beat Intel with they're impressive processors they we're making. This is why AMD is so advanced, Intel has been into the computer business making chips for SEVERAL YEARS, AMD....just a few years experience. They are what they stand for, Advanced Micro Devices.
psycosquirrel
So, from what I can understand from your post, AMD is more "advanced" than Intel because it is in their name and because they have less experience with making processors?

That's just dumb.
jay84h
Well, from my experience growing up with computers. Intel has been around SO long, why did it take this long to come up with the Core 2 Duo? How come it took AMD such a short amount of time to create the Dual Processor, and now they have a Quad Core, Barcelona processor coming out. It's not just because AMD has "Advanced" in it, it's mainly because they have been processing CPU chips that out performed Intel's, in a fraction of the years Intel has been around.
psycosquirrel
But there is the problem. AMD only outperformed Intel while they were developing Core 2 Duo. This superiority occurred over a very short period of time.

The reason AMD was able to develop their processors so quickly is because the technology was already out. They did not have to develop everything from scratch like Intel; they could reverse-engineer Intel's chips and make their own designs by improving upon Intel's.

Barcelona is not revolutionary. Intel has had quad-core out for about a month now, maybe longer. They will have oct-core by the time Barcelona is out.
jay84h
And why would they have OCT-Core by then? There's the problem, Intel is going to attempt to create an even higher processor chip and they will fall flat on they're face. There's absolutely no need for an OCT-Core processor chip nowadays, nothing requires THAT MUCH processing power. Intel will design it way too fast, and that's when they take the fall.
psycosquirrel
Why? Servers, businesses, enthusiasts, etc use that much power.

Why quad core then? AMD is going to fall flat on its face by your logic.

I don't know about you, but I get along fine and fast as hell on a single-core opty 146. Laughing
jay84h
Exactly, Intel can make those OCT-Cores for servers and such, not for public. They will run into too many problems with regular programs people you everyday not functioning properly with a processor as such.
psycosquirrel
In order to a processor to fully take advanced of an oct-core CPU, it would have to be multithreaded to take advantage of that many cores. But, most of today's apps are single-threaded and run on one core of a dual core CPU anyways, so eight cores would not cause problems. It is simply excessive and unnecessary, just like quad cores. We may need that many someday, but that day is not today Razz
jay84h
LOL! I am telling you that 8 cores is WAY TOO MUCH lol. I have a big feeling that if you attempted to run an 8 core processor, ALOT of those "Blue Screen of Death" error messages would pop up.
psycosquirrel
What would cause that?

That's like saying I'll get BSODs from 4Gb of RAM. It makes no sense!

Most of the cores would just end up unused if one of us used an 8-core CPU, that's why it is not needed for most end users.
corey
I'm just curious. Traxion, did you get your answer?
j_f_k
May be impactical if you've got all that software but for me I find that I use PC for too many things and pretty well every single PC game I've even used either trashes the PC installation in 1 way or anyother (installing older DLL's. insisting on running video resoltion I don't like etc etc), or won't fly because the hardware is out of date even if its a month old.

After the umpteenth time rescuing rebuilding PC's we've decided to get dedcated games consoles for JFK Jnr and this worked the best in terms of PC support. OK not as flashy as the latest and greatest games but I'd rather play a substandard game than spend all that time tinkering with a pc.

Don't really like games so don't care about them however the Wii is actually pretty cool and can understand what all the hype is about - the only downside is that your place tends to turn into a youth hostel when you'[ve got kids as their friends never seem to want ot leave...
Related topics
Can I create a brand new account in my account?
What song are you listening to?
Can't enter my Gmail Account! Help and I send you invatation
Witch mombo should I buy???
PC Hardware and Lockpicking.
New PC. Needs Config access.
Ideas for a new PC.
PC blue screen error
Wath should my new PC contain
Gonna buy a new PC - need some questions answered
Wireless lan malfunctioning in one PC
Want to buy a new mouse
Cannot install Win 7 on a new PC
New or used PC?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.