FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer overheat!

pll
Hi FRIhosters,
My father was on our old computer (we bought a new one), he was looking his e-mails when the computer mades a sound and shut OFF !
We wasn't able to restart the computer, we thought that the power supply had an overheat, but it's not the power supply. This is the motherboard. I don't know if my graphic / sound cards are still working, I know that my hard drive is safe.
I think it was because I didn't have enough RAM memory, but I'm not sure.
So, does anyone can confirm ? (If you can't, have you another explanation).
--
my config :

AMD Duron (bought in 2003) 1000mhz (1ghz)
40 gb Hard Drive
256 mb of SRAM
motherboard : ECS K75SA
Graphic card ATI radeon, it was a 64 mb, but I don't know the serial number.
Sound Card: I was using speakers.
Running with windows XP since 1 year.
Last time I formated the hard drive : 3 months before the overheat.

I hope that someone can help me.
Thank you.
otiscom
Being short on ram wouldn't cause overheating.
It probaly is a chip (or chips) on the mother board. If the HD is still ok I'd advise removing it before it becomes corrupt. In other words dont use the pc again!

Either buy a new mother board or PC.
psycosquirrel
Old motherboards are notorious for faulty caps. A capacitor probably blew, so now you need a new motherboard. It is also possible that your PSU died. If you can, troubleshoot each component individually to determine the source of the problem, then fix it.

A system that old should be replaced anyways, now may be a good time for an upgrade.
rheanna
Maybe the battery is dead? Did you check that?
pll
No, I can't use it again, even if I want. When I push the start button, nothing happen, no sound.
And No, I didn't check the battery, but I don't think it's that. Because the computer was open when it happened.

psycosquirrel wrote:
Old motherboards are notorious for faulty caps. A capacitor probably blew, so now you need a new motherboard.

I got a new computer !
rheanna
try it .. you might be surprised ;o) I got the same until my brother told me to replace the battery and when I did everything worked again. on my other computer that I was rebuilding for a friend.
pll
OMFG ! I'll try ! but if it's this I bought a new computer for nothing...
psycosquirrel
Battery? Like the BIOS battery?

It would at least POST if the BIOS battery was toast. The battery dying would not cause a pop either.

I ran a CS 1.6 server for over a year on a mobo with NO BIOS battery. I never had a problem, just had to reset the date every time I restarted.
rheanna
more of a hands on and can fix non working computers. Hard for me to explain it online. Wish I can be of more help. Confused

Battery on the motherboard...If the battery isn't working then the computer won't run

*look for a little disc

looks like a watch battery

*far from an expert...But never hurts to try..
psycosquirrel
That is the BIOS battery.

They are pretty easy to take out, usually you just pull a little tab and they pop out. You can buy a replacement at Wal-mart, or someplace like that. I am telling you though, this kind of failure is not from the BIOS battery. It is not worth wasting your time / money getting a new one.
asianwannabe999
Ram wouldn't cause overheating, but 256mb? XP needs 512 to run smoothly with a browser open, literally. You may as well get another 256 stick while you're shopping for a replacement psu or whatever has died.
pll
I didn't shop for another 256 MB stick, I shopped for a new computer.
Bones
psycosquirrel wrote:

It would at least POST if the BIOS battery was toast. The battery dying would not cause a pop either.

I ran a CS 1.6 server for over a year on a mobo with NO BIOS battery. I never had a problem, just had to reset the date every time I restarted.

This is true..the only thing the BIOS battery does is supply power to the BIOS chip when the pc is turned off, so that it can retain it's settings and to keep the system clock running.

If the BIOS battery is dead, you will need to reset the time/date (and possibly hard drive settings if there is no auto detect feature) every time you restart.
pll
Okay, Thank you but anyone see other reasons why it happened ?
psycosquirrel
The only way to determine the error would be troubleshooting. You would have to have spare parts and test each component individually to find out.

Simply because it will not turn on or POST or anything, the failed component is probably the PSU, but could quite possibly be (or ALSO be) the motherboard. Often when a PSU fails, it will take the mobo with it. If you have a decent mobo, it will usually kill itself to save the other components (CPU, GPU, RAM, drives). So you may be looking at a double failure. Of course there is no way to tell until you troubleshoot it or have someone troubleshoot it for you.

1000 posts! Woot!
pll
I don't think that it's the PSU, I tested on another computer and it was working.

What is a mobo ? Motherboard ? (I'm not so good in english)
Bones
Yes mobo is short for motherboard.
pll
I'll look for this psychiosquirrel thank you!
ForceRun
Basicly check the different parts of the computer using a another system works. psycosquirrel whos what he is talking about, check the hardware and make sure the PSU is hookedup right, and the hard drive is in good working order. A lot of time some cord gets lose, or the video card or ram gets unseated. Don't give up on the system to fast, find someone who knows how to build computers to give you a hand. Sounds like you need some experanced eyes take a look.
CyanEyed
could have been a power surge maybe? did anything funny happen with the electrics in ur house at the same time?

might be worth getting surge-protection plug sockets if u havent all ready
Mannix
If you heard a sound, something probably shorted.

The first thing I would do is note if there was a smell, and try to figure out what burned.

After that, I'd immediately disconnect as much hardware as I could, and see if that changed anything, then I'd only have the MB, Ram and CPU, and boot. ...If you hear beeps, that's good. After that, I'd attach the vid card. You should be able to watch your system post. ...Then attach individual components until it won't boot, or they're all attached.

...Also note that sometimes a good dust job with a can of air can fix wierd happenings, so feel free to try that too. Wink