FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PHP Dynamic tree-grid

Bikerman
As a newbie to PHP I'm after some advice/help with a specific application.
One of the site's I help with posts a weekly bulletin called The Week In Science (TWIS) which is a set of science stories consisting of:
Title - char(100)
Description - char(255)
Entry Index - incremental int(6) (primary key)
Page reference - int(6) lookup field used to categorise the entry against a list of science categories stored in another table
Link - URL to the website with the original story char(100)
Source - name of the source for the article char(50)
Date - date of article(date)

The stories come as an xml file weekly and the idea is to stick them in a database (MySQL) and then provide a searchable view on the website. The table will probably grow to around 5000-10000 records.

I've knocked up the tables and lookup/joins without too much trouble and I've generated a grid view of the main table which does the join/lookups and displays the entries OK using phprunner.
http://sciencefile.org/TWIS/phpr/entries_list

What I now need to do is be able to display the entries as a tree which will allow the user to select the page reference and then click to open up all the entries within that section. Preferably the sections tree would sit in a left-hand window and when a particular section is opened it would display the full record across the centre/right screen.

Can anyone suggest the best way of doing this please? I'm no PHP programmer but I'm pretty IT literate and can find my way around SQL.
Alternatively if anyone wants to help I'd be willing to reward with FRIH$ generously.....
Android
you have 2 options, you could either do it with javascript in which case you would probably load all the data to the users pc or you could use $_GET['var'] (set by clicking a link such as this: foo.php?var=bar) and then have a function that selects (from the database?) where the article id=$_GET['var'] and then displays it (if what ive said isnt clear either say which bit u dont understand here or try php.net for specific functions)
Bikerman
Android wrote:
you have 2 options, you could either do it with javascript in which case you would probably load all the data to the users pc or you could use $_GET['var'] (set by clicking a link such as this: foo.php?var=bar) and then have a function that selects (from the database?) where the article id=$_GET['var'] and then displays it (if what ive said isnt clear either say which bit u dont understand here or try php.net for specific functions)

That makes perfect sense...thanks for the info.