FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sengoku, Edo, or Meiji era books?

Are you Otaku?
Hai!
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Iie
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
What?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I find the term offensive and thus consider myself to be a "Japanese Enthusiast"
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

Lobo23
Does anyone know any good books about japanese history during the Sengoku, Edo, or Meiji era? I'm really interested in that time and want to know as much as possible. Thanks.
HoboPelican
LOL..I don't think I am obsessed, but I do have an interest in Japan. I guess my favorite Japanese book is the Hagakure, which I think is from the Edo period.

Did you mean books FROM those periods or ABOUT those periods?
Lobo23
HoboPelican wrote:
LOL..I don't think I am obsessed, but I do have an interest in Japan. I guess my favorite Japanese book is the Hagakure, which I think is from the Edo period.

Did you mean books FROM those periods or ABOUT those periods?

ABOUT, sorry, should've mentioned that^^;;;
Vrythramax
*topic moved the the Literature Forum*
pedrothelion
I've only ever read "Musashi" which I think is set during the Edo-period, following the life of Japan's most famous swordsman Takezo (Musashi). I read it a couple of years back and at the time felt it was one of the better books I've ever read, the character progression was pretty cool..

I only have a Swedish translation though so I'm not sure what the name of the book would be in any other language (if it'd happen to be different..)
Vrythramax
pedrothelion wrote:
I've only ever read "Musashi" which I think is set during the Edo-period, following the life of Japan's most famous swordsman Takezo (Musashi). I read it a couple of years back and at the time felt it was one of the better books I've ever read, the character progression was pretty cool..

I only have a Swedish translation though so I'm not sure what the name of the book would be in any other language (if it'd happen to be different..)

The name of the book you speak of is:

The Book of Five Rings
(The Go Rin No Sho)
Written by Miyamoto Musashi
10th October, 1643

I have the entire english translation online, but I need to change the index page before I can give you the url (it lists my real name....I'm sure you understand), once changed I'll PM you the url.

Very cool you even know of him Cool
ddukki
I started to read The Tale of Genji, but it wasn't my cup of tea at the time. I was expecting samurai action, so I was a disappointed 15 year old. I might pick it up later and read it for the book it is.