FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Gaming Laptop

Boomstick
I'm going to college after this summer and I need to get a laptop. However, I love pc games and so I'd like to get a laptop that plays games very well (hopefully run BF:2 on high). I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for this type of laptop. Thanks.
TheGeek
I have a Dell E1505, fully loaded with everything except the upgraded hard drive size (80GB worked for me just fine) and I can play Oblivion on Medium and every other game (with the exception of just a few) on high graphics settings. Brand new a laptop like that runs about $1200, but I spent some time since I wasn't in a hurry and just trolled the refurbs they had up until I found what I wanted and ended up saving about $400 this way.

Good luck.
pll
I wouldn't buy a Laptop for gaming.
I would buy a very small laptop where I can make my homeworks and then buy a BIG desk computer where I can play my games!
Alex Is Mental
Alienware has good laptops, but some are expensive:
http://alienware.com/product_pages/notebook_all_default.aspx
Plus they also look really cool Smile.
Macko112
I agree with pll. I'd stick to a nice desktop PC for all your gaming needs. Buy a cheap/used/bad laptop to bring to class. Also would eliminate the risk of your high-powered laptop of getting dropped or stolen.
akshar
Quote:
Hey, have you heard about recent playstations ?they too have large memory space to store your data along with games.I have seen many on ebay
Bones
Agreed, Laptops suk for games. If you MUST use one, the you can't beat Alienware. They are the only laptops that I would even consider for games.
ezekiel_rage
Boomstick wrote:
I'm going to college after this summer and I need to get a laptop. However, I love pc games and so I'd like to get a laptop that plays games very well (hopefully run BF:2 on high). I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for this type of laptop. Thanks.

Laptops are for business, desktop are for fun!!!!

But if you really must.you can try this laptop,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115341&ATT=34-115-341&CMP=OTC-C173T

Comes with these specs;

Quote:
Model
Brand Acer
Series Aspire
Model AS9300-5005
Part# LX.AWR0X.053
General
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
CPU Type AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50 1.6G
Screen 17.0" WXGA+
Memory Size 1GB DDR2
Hard Disk 120GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300
Communication Modem, Gigabit LAN and WLAN
Card slot 1 x Type I/II PC Card Slot
Battery Life up to 2.5 hours
Dimensions 15.7" x 11.6" x 1.2-1.6"
Weight 8.1 lbs.
Tech Intel Centrino Duo Mobile Technology
Other Features Acer Video Conference: VVoIP via integrated Acer OrbiCam camera
CPU
CPU Type AMD Turion 64 X2
CPU Speed TL-50(1.60GHz)
CPU L2 Cache 2 x 256KB L2 cache
Display
Screen Size 17.0"
Wide Screen Support Yes
LCD Features Acer CrystalBrite Technology
Display Type Wide XGA+
Resolution 1440 x 900
Operating Systems
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
Graphics
GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300
Graphic Type Dedicated Card
Hard Drive
HD Capacity 120GB
Memory
Memory Size 1GB
Max Memory Supported 4GB
Memory Spec 512MB x 2
Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
Optical Drive Interface Integrated
Optical Drive Spec Integrated Super-Multi drive (DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RAM)
Communications
Modem V.92 56K
LAN 10/100/1000Mbps
WLAN 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
Ports
Card Slot 1 x Type I/II PC Card Slot
USB 4
Video Port 1 x VGA, 1 x S-Video TV-out
Audio Ports headphones/speaker/line-out with SPDIF support, microphone-in, line-in
Audio
Audio Integrated Sound card
Speaker Internal Speakers
Input Device
Touchpad Yes
Keyboard Standard
Supplemental Drive
Card Reader 5-in-1 card reader for optional MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO or xD-Picture Card
Webcam Acer OrbiCam adjustable 1.3-megapixel CMOS camera
Power
AC Adapter 90-watt AC adapter
Battery 6-cell lithium ion
Battery Life up to 2.5 hours
Physical spec
Dimensions 15.7" x 11.6" x 1.2-1.6"
Weight 8.1 lbs.
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 1 year
Labor 1 year

Not an Alienware, but comes close
fadirocks
Don't forget to get laptop cooler pad so when you crank up the CPU you'll have enough cooling capacity to prevent your lappy from being fried!
mikethm
pll wrote:
I wouldn't buy a Laptop for gaming.
I would buy a very small laptop where I can make my homeworks and then buy a BIG desk computer where I can play my games!

Yup this is the way to go when cost matter.

It is so much more economical to have a laptop and a PC.
PseudoKnight
First off, if you plan on using a gaming laptop on your lap when you're not gaming, forget it. These things are big, hot, and heavy. So consider what others have recommended with getting a cheap laptop and a nice gaming desktop.

Any of the Core 2 Duos should work fine. 1GB + DDR2 RAM is important. (you don't NEED 2GB unless you have a load of crap running) But overall the main focus for a gaming laptop is the video card. Most laptops come with something wimpy so this is the best way to narrow things down quickly. You'll want something at least mid-range. Look for "7600" (mid) and "7900" (higher). Make sure to pick up a good mouse and mousepad. Those new Logitech notebook mice look hot, but this is really up to you.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/upp/details/US/EN,crid=2676,contentid=12140

You can keep the mouse and pad at home for your gaming sessions. (if it was me, I'd also hook up a keyboard and just prop the screen up when I played... I hate those laptop keyboards with their low-depth and how they're centered to the screen)

Finally, pick up a USB headset like the Plantronics DSP 550. (which gets a good rating for quality for the price)

If you go with a brand like Dell for your gaming needs, avoid XPS if you can. The E1705 can be had with similar specs for a much lower price. This is what I helped get a friend and it turned out to be a great deal. It was the best bang for our buck at the time. (under $1400 for a mid-range; most others were at $1800 at least) Acer and the others have some great laptops, but you'll pay a pretty penny.