FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Shutdown Day

Will you participate in Shutdown Day?
Yes
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Nah
51%
 51%  [ 20 ]
Undecided
30%
 30%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 39

Zampano
http://www.shutdownday.org/

As I understand this, the idea is to live without one's computer for a whole day on March 24. It seems to be gaining steam.
Will you be participing?

note:Moderators, please make this a sticky until March 25 if possible.

<James007>
We only sticky useful things.
</James007>
Josso
Hmm what day is that? I might do it.
Vinas
Falls on a sunday. I'm not sure myself, but if I'm at home, most likely not. Razz
HoboPelican
I guess it is a Saturday, but I doubt if I am going to participate. Not sure what the point is. Might be a good day to look for good Ebay auctions. Wink
Commando_Sondre
I don't wan't to participate. I love my computer to much to do that. Hopefully someone else will take my place Razz
Zampano
Vinas wrote:
Falls on a sunday. I'm not sure myself, but if I'm at home, most likely not. Razz

A saturday, I believe. I don't know month you're on.
Boomstick
HoboPelican wrote:
I guess it is a Saturday, but I doubt if I am going to participate. Not sure what the point is. Might be a good day to look for good Ebay auctions. Wink

I would have never thought of that. Thats such a great idea.
Nameless
A whole day? My GOD how will we survive?! Rolling Eyes

Excuse the sarcasm, but really. I spend pretty much all my spare time on my computer, and yet somehow I can't help but feel even I could manage to find alternative entertainment for a massive 24 hours.

Quote:
If they disappeared for just one day, would we be able to cope?

YES. >_>
Marston
I feel bad that everyone in this thread seems to think they couldn't go for a day without their computer. Sad
Rako
I think a day would be easy for most people on this form but seriously how many of you could go for a hole week? a day is easy but i will not be participating due to assignments. who thinks they can survive for a week?
arranf
I don't know..
I would liek to but I've got friends on line and I'm trying to create a semi-sucessful business using computer games to sell online.
Luckily it lands on a weekend so I won't have to use computers.
HoboPelican
Marston wrote:
I feel bad that everyone in this thread seems to think they couldn't go for a day without their computer. Sad

I feel bad when people express a herd mentality and mindlessly jump on whatever the latest protest is. If you have doubts about whether you could do it, go ahead and try it one day. But why all at the same time? Just do it. I have an image of some clowns sitting in a room making this stuff up just to see how many people they can get to shut off computers, not drive their cars, do a good deed, etc. on the same day.

Even if something might a good idea, do you really need to follow the herd that closely?
Srs2388
I could do it... I might try an ebay auction! hehe if there are less people online that day I could get some stuff Very Happy
pll
Commando_Sondre wrote:
Hopefully someone else will take my place Razz

Nobody can take your place Exclamation

It's amazing to see that people is addicted to computers, if you look on the website right now : 26007 persons CAN do this. On the right you see : 3668 persons CANNOT !
More people CANNOT stop using their computer for one day !
Also, if you looks the comments : a lot of people will drink BEER this day!
Is beer the only thing who can remplace a computer ?

I'll surely do this on the march 24. Smile
Davidgr1200
I have plenty of days when I do not use a computer. But I can see the point for people who have become addicted to it and cannot go a day without using their computer. When you start your computer just by routine and do not have anything particular to do then you know you're hooked.
Having said that a computer is becoming a very important tool in most people's lives, probably more so than a car. I can go months without using my car (I don't drive when there's snow and ice on the roads) because we have good public transport here, but I couldn't go months without using my computer (The bailiffs would get me for not paying my bills amongst other things).
clarinda0551
Glad they make it 24th Mar, Saturday, for I have a job involves no use of computer at all all day every Saturday Very Happy Otherwise...
Scott
I am going to have a lot of university work to do on that day... They should have put it during the summer, haha.
mOrpheuS
I hope nobody at any air traffic control office thinks it'd be a great idea to shutdown the evil computers for a day.

I don't quite get the logic behind it ... why should I not use my computer for a day ?
Denying myself a fine source of entertainment and information ... to prove ... what ? That I'm not "addicted" ?
I hadn't touched a PC till I was in college and back then I used to watch TV - believe me, I find my PC much more entertaining and informative.

When are we going to have the worldwide blackout day ? We certainly need one of those seeing how the world today is addicted to electric power and all ...
What about walk-don't-drive day ? What about eat-raw-don't-cook day ? what about hunt-don't-grow day ?
ThornsOfSorrow
I could easily live without my computer for a day, unless I had some sort of paper due the next day or a test (all of my notes are on my laptop). However, I don't really see the point...
ItsWesley
I could live without a computer for a day, and that would be especially easy if I'm working that day, as I don't use computers at work!
darvit
Yesterday was shutdown day for me, actually. Laughing

I personally am not sure if I could do it, since most of my Math class depends on online quizzes and online tests.. And as long as my professor doesn't assign some homework/quiz/test, I would be fine. And oh, it also depends on my other classes, especially if I have papers due the next day...
Seiji
Well If I get a new Wii by the 24th I might participate but if I don't I won't. If its on a Saturday that would be extremely hard.
Nameless
pll wrote:
It's amazing to see that people is addicted to computers, if you look on the website right now : 26007 persons CAN do this. On the right you see : 3668 persons CANNOT !
More people CANNOT stop using their computer for one day !

Uh, no 26007 > 2668. By a factor of almost 10 times.
pll
These numbers was when I saw the site, not today. That's the numbers I saw...
varon
I can't -- my work is dependent on my PC. (But curiously enough, I tried living without my PC as a Lenten sacrifice some years ago -- when I was just bumming around and webdesigning and not really getting any real work done, and I lived through it. Heheh.)
andy26
Im sure i could easily handle a day iv handled a week before it was hard though as i am very addicted to my computer.
Captain Fertile
24 hours is not a problem - an inconvenience maybe.

But What is the point of doing it?

I suppose it might actually open up some new avenues of more healthy entertainment for some people.

If it takes off I may join in - it might show my kids what their dad looks like standing up!.
Vinas
Zampano wrote:
Ah, yeah. I just looked breifly at the calendar and saw the 24th under one of the S'. My mind just assumed it was sunday. Razz
Zampano
Vinas wrote:
Zampano wrote:
Ah, yeah. I just looked breifly at the calendar and saw the 24th under one of the S'. My mind just assumed it was sunday. Razz

Why must must they sometimes have Sunday at the beginning of the row, and sometimes at the end?! WHy? Why!!? I wonder. Think Crying or Very sad
hunnyhiteshseth
Absolutely no! I love my computer very much & why should it suffer for a stupid experiment day.

And also I have got my computer after a lot of struggle so I do not want to miss a single second without it if possible leave alone a whole day.
darvit
Captain Fertile wrote:

But What is the point of doing it?

I suppose it might actually open up some new avenues of more healthy entertainment for some people.

And I guess maybe these people just need a little push, and a set date to break away from the computer. And of course, everybody loves to feel important by taking part in a simultaneous [virtual] movement. Wink

Speaking of the date--I also just realized that the date, March 25th, was also the date of another "movement" dubbed as "School Boycott Day"--did any of you hear about that? I remember getting it two years ago [or was it just last year?] via IM from a friend... I never did it, of course, but I now find it funny how the 25th has been a favorite date for such "milestones". Laughing
Zug Zug
O.o I can not live without my computer......it's how I pay my bills etc.... ya..
dayveday
I'm not sure if I'll do it - I'll probably forget.

Is it at all related to the Earth Hour? Shutting off all the lights in Sydney for an hour? It's a sign of support for reducing global warming. Any other cities doing this?

http://earthhour.smh.com.au/?competition=earth_hour
Seiji
Well I got my new Wii so I might be joining in for the others to do this. I didn't notice that it is so hard for me to be without my PC. Its part of my hobby html/films so I need it a lot.
crimson_aria
I didn't know there's such a day. Hhmm.. I guess, probably not, it's the day after my final exams.. so I'd be relaxing then. And yes, the best way to relax is use my computer.. XD
ashish2005
March 24th is a Saturday and for me it means that this day is a holiday and I get to use the internet even in the daytime because my internet provider provides me with internet connection 24 hours on Saturday (on other days it's just 12 hour a day). So this day it will be impossible for me to turn off the computer and not use it. I will vote for "I cannot" in that site because I really cannot. Maybe on that day the first thing I do after I wake up is turn on my computer and check my email.
Zenireth
Ha! like thats gonna happen Razz i cant live without my computer! i spend alot of my time with zbrush,dreamweaver,flash and adobe photoshop. Like hell im gonna give that up for a day! (Ill do it if im grounded from the computer for a week Very Happy ) but then again i tend to go on it anyway...
So good luck with the whole shut down day thing.
reddishblue
Why? Like most people in this topic I just don't see any reason to do it.
I could do it but I will not, TV sucks nowadays and I very much like my computer, I only had access to Windows XP for a year, internet for one and a half.
I will not participate because what else will I do?
guissmo
Since I'm out of town on March 26 - 29, I probably will have my Shutdown Day there.
scotty
Sounds like a fairly stupid idea to me. I think its something people who are hardcore addicted to computers should do but the thought of it just says to me that it's a way for addicts to take a break so it's a no from me. I may or may not turn my computer on anyway, we'll see what happenes!
CMA
I see no problems with that. I've had some self-proclaimed Shutdown Days before, so another one wouldn't hurt, I guess... I'm not that dependant or addicted, fortunately. Wink
bartdou
to me it is insignificant because I often didn't touch my computer at all for a whole day. If your work needs you to use computer everyday so is it necessary to leave yourself without computer one day in a year? and if not needs is it necessary to sit before computer everyday for a while?
Computer is just a tool in our life and work, just like the car, the cell phone, we use them when we need to use them, we don't have to deliberately care about the ways we use them.
to reduce the air polution people go to work without car one day in a month is just a show but useless to the reduction,we have to do something useful.
rheanna
What?? I would go insane if I had no computer...While you guys are going through withdrawls. I'll be playing on the computer. Laughing Cool
Qube
Oh god, not my computer!
Seriously, I spend so much time on my comp it's not even funny.
Well, maybe just a little bit.

I've learned that the internet is a serious source of entertainment.
And even then, my computer is a form w/o the net.
I can listen to music, watch movies, play games (emulator/roms and a wireless controller) or just mess around on photoshop or write/code something.

If I had to go a day w/o the comp, it wouldn't be a big deal.
I love to read, so I could do that.
I actually find myself wanting to read more and more lately, but finding a good book is so hard.
I don't really watch TV, I dislike TV.
Only time is when something good is on.
Such as House, PrisonBreak, a good comedian, an interesting SciFi show or Animal Planet.
I love Animal Planet. Razz
The_Gamer294
illl probably do it since i got my computer taken away Sad
TruPain
Marston wrote:

I could easily go without my comptuer for a day... I do it quite a bit... but I think the big question here is Why?

If I do not use my computer for a full 24 hours, will it cause world peace? Cure cancer? Save a starving child? Nope...

So what is the point of this? As they say on the website:

Quote:
The idea behind the experiment is to find out how many people can go without a computer for one whole day, and what will happen if we all participate!

So no real reason... so what is the point... prob just some board person looking to gain some thrill in getting people to do something stupid...

I think just because of this, I am going to make sure that all 4 of my household computers are running...
molif
is there such a shutdown day..?

what benefits do i get..? does it do any charity work..?
lame..
Blaster
You get to show the world that we all can live without our computers.
Vrythramax
For me it's simple mathematics....if do not post nor approve/deny a hosting request...I am not on the computer.

This machine is not the end-all-be-all of existence...I have a life outside of the Internet and this computer. Sorry if that sit well with all, but I have spent much of my life in front of machines and I have found real human contact much more satisfying.
skygaia
I didn't know what the shutdown day is before I read this post.
Well.. I'm not sure but I think 24 hours is not long time ..
So I'll participate in
Seiji
Well since its Spring Break and unless I'm out of town I won't be joining in. I could go a day without the tv though. They should have TV shut off day and I'll join in.
j_f_k
What a totally stupid and pointless idea!

I think I'll spend the day looking at popular streaming videos that always run slow. Hopefully enough numbskulls will think this is a good idea and their servers won't be so clogged.

Thinking about it - if you're silly enough to believe in this, you may be silly enough to be inadvertantly running a spambot. It would be curious to see whether the volume of spam drops on this day.
bulek
I can't find any wisdom idea in this shutdown day but if I really won't need computer I won't use it. I only hope that my ratio on torrent sites won't decrease. Razz
Vrythramax
reddishblue wrote:
Why? Like most people in this topic I just don't see any reason to do it.
I could do it but I will not, TV sucks nowadays and I very much like my computer, I only had access to Windows XP for a year, internet for one and a half.
I will not participate because what else will I do?

Get a life?

I will participate on a personal level, but my job requires me to be at at a computer. So unless this day is on a weekend when I don't have to work, I can't participate fully.
funnyerror
i think more than the normal amount of people will be online on the 24th, because they will think they'll have the internet to themselves

-FE