FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I'm PHP beginner. looking for a PHP editor...

getgag
Rapid PHP 2006 is OK? any suggest?
Thank You!
ncwdavid
I use macromedia dreamweaver but I have also used Zend Studio but I don't use it anymore. Notepad++ was good when I used to use it. There is just so many editors its hard to choose.
kv
If you are willing to pay, go for nusphere phped [url]nusphere.com[/url]. It is worth the money. If you want a free editor, try PHP Designer 2005.
biljap
I usually use Dreamweaver or Notepad but if I want to test some code I use PHP Expert Editor. It is very easy to use it. It has some nice features for beginners and professional programmers like internal HTTP-server and Debugger to run, test and debug PHP scripts (you can use any external HTTP-server also). The PHP Syntax Check, internal browser, Code Explorer, File Explorer, FTP client…
Android
I like Winsyntax personally, its free although i believe the company who used to run it may now have shutdown so it can be difficult to find. It colour codes your code in many languages and includes other features such as a document outline. I also find that code is cleaner when I do it from scratch in winsyntax than if I use an editor like dreamweaver and inevitiably end up using the program to save time.
fromegame
I normally just use Notepad. But if I have some code with 'linux-returns' (blocks Razz) then I use Dreamweaver.

But I can recommend 'Notepad++', it's free Wink
SlowWalkere
I used to use Dreamweaver, but personally I wouldn't recommend it. It is great for doing plain html/css or for doing table-based photoshop layouts, but I don't think it adds any functionality in terms of php coding that justifies the price.

There are a few things that you want to look for in a php editor...

Syntax Highlighting - This is key for big files, and this is why plain old notepad doesn't cut it for me. With syntax highlighting, strings will appear a different color (as will built in functions, and other specific things). If you miss a quote somewhere, you'll notice that your regular code is printed in the string color. Makes it much quicker and easier to pick up on those careless errors.

Tabbed spacing - This also helps in laying out big files. You can indent and un-indent sections of code easily. This helps especially for nested loops and if-statements.

It should be free. There are plenty of good free editors, so pay an exorbitant amount for something like Dreamweaver.

With that said, Notepad++ is a great option. But it is certainly not the only option, and any free editor that has these features and is easy to use are viable choices.

- Walkere
Liu
linux: kate
Mgccl
I uses Emeditor and I like it a lot...
personally I found zend studio too slow... Emeditor is a pretty light solution Smile
I used Emeditor for years now, I use it to edit codes and txt files
rfwrangler
Maguma Studio is a good editor with some testing features in it I don't use it much but I have used it a little. I generally use Dreamweaver then test on a localhost server.

Maguma Studio can be found at http://www.maguma.com/. There is a free version and a premium version.

Good Luck
VodkaMartini
sometimes I use:
Macromedia DreamWeaver 2004
Notepad or
Crimson Editor (this one is free you can search it at Google)
flintstonian
I'd recommend HTML Kit - It's light, and has many nice features....and of course its free.
reactive
I'd recommend Notepad++(as I did in some previous post) because it's neat, simple, has plenty features and it's free.
Alie
As biljap had mentioned already - PHP Expert Editor is really good program, that makes your work more comfortable then other editors. Also I can add DzSoft PHP Editor that is also nice in use.
manum
i suggest dzsoft or dreamweaver
palavra
ultra edit 32
carlospro7
I have used Dreamweaver, Nusphere's PhpED , PHP Designer Pro, and PHPEdit.

Of all three, I personally liked Dreamweaver and PhpEdit the best.
Xendromn
getgag wrote:
Rapid PHP 2006 is OK? any suggest?
Thank You!

Personally I like "SciTe".
Its small, comfortable, and cool.
It takes about 1 second for it to launch Smile
bukaida
The explicit editor for php is probably phpdesigner which has built in browser integration to view the output there itself.Also has lots of other useful features.If you are looking for php editor only, then this one is probably one of the best staffs.Download it
mutouren
I'm also a beginner for PHP
even for html Laughing
sometime I learn web languages just for fun or my interest
I installed both macromedia dreamwever and zend studio on my computer
while I can't run them as my wish Arrow
pollux1er
mutouren wrote:
I'm also a beginner for PHP
even for html Laughing
sometime I learn web languages just for fun or my interest
I installed both macromedia dreamwever and zend studio on my computer
while I can't run them as my wish Arrow

I'm a beginner too.
For a start i think that notepad++ is good.
Manofgames
I've been using Acehtml freeware for the past few months, but I've converted to notepad ++ recently, and I have to say its brilliant!!!!

I will be sticking with it for a VERY long time Smile
pollux1er
Manofgames wrote:
I've been using Acehtml freeware for the past few months, but I've converted to notepad ++ recently, and I have to say its brilliant!!!!

I will be sticking with it for a VERY long time Smile

Trying it it is adopting it. Laughing
powers1983
I have both PHP Designer 2007 and Notepad++ and I must admit although they both have fairly similar functions as far as PHP editing is concerned I find myself using PHP Designer more.

All I want is something that displays my variables a different colour from my functions etc. (Syntax Highlighting) and an Auto-Indent feature.

On the first point both are good (although I don't like the default colours for Notepadd++ as they don't contrast as well as PHP Designer but I'm sure you can choose your own colours).

For an autocompletion they are pretty much the same in that if you do a { and press enter then it'll indent the next line.

What I'd like though is a command I can run that goes through the whole file and indents my php and html so it's easier to read after inserting another if or something.

I might actually write my own thing that does that if I can't fins something that does.

David.