FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what do you think about my new laptop?

mjohnson
I bought a new laptop last week,beacause I am a student and I have no more money to buy an advanced computer.
CPU Intel Celeron M processor 430(1.73GHz,533MHz FSB,1M L2 cache)
14.1" WXGA CrystalBrite LCD
Mobile Intel 940 GML Express Chipset
80G HHD
DVD/CD-RW Combo
512 MB DDR2

It is very cheap,about 600$.
please give me some comments about my new PC...
yjwong
It is not a very good choice, especially the processor. I guess you have no other choice due to your budget limitation. I would rather get an entry level Intel Core laptop, along with an entry-level graphics card. Your laptop might be sufficient for general use, for example with word processing applications - but considering the RAM, it might not be able to cope with high resolution image editing, for example Photoshop. I'm very sure that your laptop cannot cope with the requirements of Vista as it does not contain any external PCIe graphics card that supports DirectX 10.
Cee_Jay
status= used
brand dell...15 inches screen
512 RAM
1.6Ghz pentium processor
80gb HDD
DVD writer
wireless modem+LAN card

price= $530 almost

How do you coment this ?
tomahawk19
If I were you mjohnson I would have saved up a bit more and spent a bit more on a laptop. That one is slower than my 4 year old laptop that I bought for 850 at the time (because of bulk discount, got it through my dad's work while I was in college). But still it would have cost me around 1100, for it or so. I just bought a new one for less than a grand out the door, and it's pretty nice, there are others nicer, but it runs vista very nicely, I can do everything I need with it. What brand is it? I'm not trying to make you feel bad, I just think it was somewhat of a bad choice...You should have waited and saved...

As for the other one, you need more RAM, bigger HDD, faster processor. What OS are you guys running on both of them? I'm guessing no more than Windows XP, since neither of those stats will be able to run Vista very well, if at all.

Ok so I sounded a bit like an ass, that's not what I was going for...
billybob
I agree with the other guys you should have saved slightly longer, I recently got a laptop on a budget for 580 was a Dell Inspiron I then spent 90 on 1 gb of ram to increase it to 1.5gb and around $40 for a 100GB Hdd which was only 60GB which i now use as an external Hdd in a sata usb hdd caddy.

My current spec is:

1.8Ghz core duo 2
1.5GB RAM
100GB internal HDD
60 GB external DHH

total cost 710
DecayClan
i recently bought this laptop :

Semptron mobility 3000+
1GB Ram
VGA:Ati-rx-something
80GB HDD
TVTUNER-Wifi-etc...

499Euro

It works fine for me, cause i only use it when i trevel, and i mostly use it for word, surfing the net, mail, so, it is just fine Razz
raaeft1
I bought HP Pavilion 2122 tu laptop yesterday. I will have to use it more like a desktop as I have to give my assembled desktop pc to my
daughter. The HP dealer installed the battery and advised that I could use the laptop for long hours with the AC Adapter which also charges the battery.
But I am confused with what I read on the HP site. When I shut down the laptop at night, should I unplug the AC Adapter? Since I am using the laptop more as desktop, should I remove the battery and run it on AC power using the Adapter.
Also, since I using the AC Adapter for long hours, would the battery be charged automatically?
Is there any harm if I shut down but keep the AC adapter plugged in as in the case of mobile.
Moreover, I would love practical tips to extend the life of the battery and the laptop
diduknowthat
mjohnson wrote:
I bought a new laptop last week,beacause I am a student and I have no more money to buy an advanced computer.
CPU Intel Celeron M processor 430(1.73GHz,533MHz FSB,1M L2 cache)
14.1" WXGA CrystalBrite LCD
Mobile Intel 940 GML Express Chipset
80G HHD
DVD/CD-RW Combo
512 MB DDR2

It is very cheap,about 600$.
please give me some comments about my new PC...

Depends on what you want to do with it. For homeworks and stuff, that would be fine. However, you could have gotten a similarly speced laptop for much less.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115346

(has a slower CPU, but much cheaper, especially after MIR.

Cee_Jay wrote:
status= used
brand dell...15 inches screen
512 RAM
1.6Ghz pentium processor
80gb HDD
DVD writer
wireless modem+LAN card

price= $530 almost

How do you coment this ?

Pentium what processor? Pentium 4, pentium M?

And I'm assuming it uses integrated graphics?
ncwdavid
DecayClan wrote:
i recently bought this laptop :

Semptron mobility 3000+
1GB Ram
VGA:Ati-rx-something
80GB HDD
TVTUNER-Wifi-etc...

499Euro

It works fine for me, cause i only use it when i trevel, and i mostly use it for word, surfing the net, mail, so, it is just fine Razz

Where did you get that laptop? Did you buy it online? I have been looking for a laptop that is just pretty basic at a good price.