FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best Programming Language to Use

Possum
Hi
What is the best Open Source Programming tool to use to make a computer application..

Cheers Possum
falconfx
Hi,

You should be more precise about what you want: you mean a programming language or a compiler? Wink

By the way, I would suggest you to give a look at GCC as it is the de facto-standard on Linux/Unix systems and has got compilers for many programming languages.

Bye
Nyizsa
It depends on the "computer application" you want to make.
C/C++ is very common, but for some applications it can be an overkill or just not the right tool. For example, if your application mostly manipulates text files, try awk or perl. If it's simply some interaction with the user (including some calculations, maybe), take a look at php. (No need to create and take care of the windows and forms, the browser will handle all.) And then if your application includes hard computing, take a look at Octave and .m files.
So, if you were more specific, we could help better.
Commando_Sondre
You might wan't to check out Ruby (on Rails). They are both two very good languages. But, you wan't a programming tool. A compiler or a programming language? Could you specify?
Lemur
I tend to like VB a little more than C, it seems less cryptic to me. Then again, I'm more of a web coder than anything, so don't go by me. (but seriously, where the heck did they get cout for displaying a message?)
soulman
if you mean the language, I think C++ and Java can be your answer, for they are strong for develop applications.

if you mean the compiler, try microsoft Visual Studio...
varun_dodla
As per my experience i feel Java is the best programming language to use for most of the applications. Especially while developing web applications Java becomes handy. We can combine java with Java script, Ajax and develop awesome appliactions.
Till now i have used Java,Java applets, Java servlets, Java script, Ajax. Java is not only best for its ease of use but also for its ease to learn.
For web applications Java is the best but for Stand -alone applications other languages can be used. Even Java can be used for Stand-alone applications but the work and coding will be tedious.
{name here}
GCC is going to be your best tool for choice and portability since it has a FORTRAN, PL/I, C, C++, and Java compiler. FreeBASIC will probably treat you better, though. It uses a real BASIC(fully operable language. No RAD), which will manage memory for you, so you can still program in C libraries like Allegro and SDL but it won't be as tough.
qscomputing
Lemur wrote:
(but seriously, where the heck did they get cout for displaying a message?)

It's a Unix thing which, like all Unix things, makes no sense at all until you understand, and (almost) perfect sense once you do. In Unix, every program has three text streams: stdout, stderr and stdin (that is, standard output, input and error). For some reason C++ uses cout rather than stdout, presumably for brevity.

The best thing with programming languages is to try a lot of them and then use the one that you like most or will work best for the particular job. My favourite language is (currently) Perl - but that doesn't mean you'll like it. If you like BASIC but want more power, check out Free Basic (freebasic.net IIRC). HTH.
Ranfaroth
Java would probably be the worst choice : in each domain, there is a better language.
For instance, for web applications, PHP, Python, or Ruby are definitly more appropriate. For standalone applications, C/C++ with some interface library (GTK for exemple) will be a better choice....
Possum
Thx everyone

I want a compiled language..

One IM looking at is Lazarus as it is a Delphi Clone

Cheers Possum
{name here}
Possum wrote:
Thx everyone

I want a compiled language..

One IM looking at is Lazarus as it is a Delphi Clone

Cheers Possum

Your programs might carry a bit more extra weight and look obvious that they weren't made with pure procedural programming if you use a RAD since RADs align things to a grid and it often doesn't come out as natural in object placement.
vandame
Im certainly C++ is the bes language....i love !!!
Alex Is Mental
C++ is probably the best for what you want. It's the hardest i've heard par assembly Sad and binary Crying or Very sad. But it's good for making apps.
ap0c0lyps3
It depends on what operating system you are going to make the software on. If you are going to make it on windows and want to make programs quickly try .net. In linux you can try C++ as it has built in functionality to make C++ programs without having to installl any extra stuff.
loosu
The best choice which you can make , is to use GCC .

because , C is the system programming language , which can answer to any type of problems .

And besides , learning C's syntax , only makes u feel better .

The power which u get by programming using C , is far more excellent and specific and can be matched only when coded in assembly .

I can also , recommend you with the digital mars , C compiler
http://www.digitalmars.com/ .

which is highly efficient .

Although , when rad is your need , u are left with Visual Studio .

Also , look at D . which holds the best of many languages .

Thanks , and this was a great question ,.
JayBee
Ranfaroth wrote:
Java would probably be the worst choice : in each domain, there is a better language.
For instance, for web applications, PHP, Python, or Ruby are definitly more appropriate. For standalone applications, C/C++ with some interface library (GTK for exemple) will be a better choice....

Java is not so bad, but many java progrmamars are bad because java is easy to use Very Happy
with Java, you have many free good IDE/RAD (I know Eclipse and Netbeans)

You can make GUI application with PHP, Python, Ruby with QT, GTK, wxWidget bindings Wink

(wxRuby, Ruby-gtk, PHP-GTK, PHP-Qt, wxPython, pyGTK, pyQt)

for example http://www.frozen-bubble.org/ is written in perl and it uses SDL as grapgic library
wernichtfragt
if interested in c++ you should use the borland compiler

you can get it for free (9 mb)
for instructions:
http://csjava.occ.cccd.edu/~gilberts/bcc55.html

CAN compile dos apps as well as windows XP apps

IS damn fast
Possum
Hi Everyone..

Thank you so much for you most informative replies. I have decided to keep on with Delphi..
Jaan
Yeah, Delphi is good for starters.

Later on, you might want to look at Python.

Good luck.
gopal
I dont know what your previous knowledge is . Wink

and also not that how much effor you are willing to give

but you can go with java or python.

any ...really any application can be developed in java or python.

java/python both can be use to create ajax application ( gmail like application ) or desktop application ( many gimp or blender plugin developed in python) or server side scripting ( first version of google written in python ) ,

here is the list of things they are doing with python. all of them can be done in java. but java is too complicated for newbie. I normally prefer python over java.

http://www.python.org/about/success/[/url]
Helloall
I Think The Best Programming Languages Are C, C++............!
bgillingham
CodeGear's upcoming Delphi IDE for PHP is your best bet for open source programming.

I started a topic on this in the PHP coding section:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-69169.html
empty
If you are looking to make an open source standalone application..
As a begineer, I would probably recommend:
    Delphi plenty of free open source compilers and IDEs available

Python, the essence of open source on both Windows and Nix

If your more experienced:
    C/C++ using GCC, and one of the many free C IDEs out there.

Dont look past Perl if you know what your doing!
webthaman
There are many programming languages to used. Right now i am using Visual basic 6.0. I find it to be very easy to use and make exe file.

To developed platform independent software i recommend you guys to used Microsoft Visual Studio which is very strong programming Languages. C/C++/Java are also good programming languages.
Twisted Evil
bgillingham
webthaman wrote:
There are many programming languages to used. Right now i am using Visual basic 6.0. I find it to be very easy to use and make exe file.

To developed platform independent software i recommend you guys to used Microsoft Visual Studio which is very strong programming Languages. C/C++/Java are also good programming languages.
Twisted Evil
I have programmed using various IDE's since 1978, and I didn't like MS products like Visual Basic or Visual C++, etc. Delphi was always more productive for me. Comparing Delphi to VB, I would have to take about 10 extra steps and put in a half-dozen lines of code to simply display data from any database table... Delphi, just put a couple components on the form and set a couple properties and run... RAD indeed (Rapid Application Development). The same is true with working with XML, SOAP, other internet objects, etc. (I would only warn that ActiveX objects are ugly beasts that cause problems in non-MS environments). Just to sum it up, I'd avoid VB unless it was FREE, but it isn't, eh.
loosu
I should recommend you to learn C , as it is the best language that can give you an indepth understanding of the whole system .

also , there is a c style language for every other purpose and this could really help you too .

www.digitalmars.com

and the gcc are the best in the town
carlospro7
programming tool => Integrated Development Environment?
On windows I use Dev-C++. It's a free IDE.
On linux, I just use a text editor like Vim (I don't like emacs), and compile with G++/GCC, which is a great tool, but sometimes I use Kdevelop, another free IDE

If you mean programming language. I'm sure the most popular choice is C/C++. I would just go with C++ thought because an improvement of C, and has more functionality, and it's also an object oriented programming languange.
{name here}
Programming languages:
C: Go for it if you want to make operating systems or if you are interested in making fast applications by exploiting its relation of Assembly. C is also very portable.
C++: Go for it if you are interested in making small applications with OOP. It is also very portable.
Java: Just don't go for it, period. It's bloated, slow, and its syntax is just not worth the effort.
BASIC(I mean real, true BASIC like FreeBASIC and PowerBASIC and not that VisualBASIC crap): Go for it if you are interested in making decent applications without the complexities you will suffer in C.
Pascal: Go for it if you want to learn programming well and are interested in application development. Pixel was developed in Pascal.
PL/I: Go for it if you want a decent language for making applications that isn't at all strict - it's the near opposite to pascal.
PL/M: It isn't even an option unless you're nostalgic - the last compiler ever made for it was compiled in the late 1970s(there might have been other compilers, but they have been lost)!
FORTRAN: It's not worth it. Few free modern compilers for the language are available. GNU FORTRAN will only compile FORTRAN77 code.
Assembly: If you're interested in making libraries or operating systems, learn it. Otherwise, it's not worth it because today's compilers can achieve speeds just as good as well formed pure assembly.
qscomputing
I wouldn't recommend C or C++ for a new programmer, it's a better choice for a second or third language. For a first language, probably a decent Basic (eg FreeBasic), Pascal or Python.
ganesh
Does Perl count as a 'programming' language?.. Very Happy

! I know it is more of a scripting language as such..

Just wanted to affirm here that anything you do in any language it can be done in lesser time (I don't mean executing time, but development time) in Perl Smile
qscomputing
Yes, Perl is a programming language.

Quote:

$ man perlintro

<snip>
DESCRIPTION
This document is intended to give you a quick overview of the Perl programming language, [...]

But I wouldn't recommend it to new programmers - just imagine the horrible code that you'd get. Experienced programmers write horrible code while learning Perl!
nasted
i prefer u using Java or VB, application or system can be develop using VB
marixworld
for most database applications, i use PHP with mySQL. its the best combination in the open source world. VB is also agood programming language but its expensive and i find hard to implement database application in a network, compared to PHP where all you need is to install it in the server, run in the client without installing any client software.
kiranaghor
I like PHP and Mysql combination for relatively smaller web applications. It also goes pretty well with new Ajax stuff. I am also learning Java. Java is bes when it comes to learning OO practices. I am very much impresses eith Java. Also u get (bonus) knowledge of C# coz it has similar syntax and language rules. Java is leader in enterprise application development. The reason its leader lies in not just language but tools developed for it. Like Eclipse is the be(a)st IDE around. Sun has bundles thousads of ready to cook classs with jdk. We have frameworks like Struts, Spring, Hibernate. And it perfectly suited for agile development. Last but not least there are loads of good books to gain the knowledge.
One particular special mention:
Ruby is rocking the java world with its immense speed of development. Every programmer loves it.
qebab
If this is your first programming language, I wouldn't personally recommend C or C++, unless you have a really, really good patience. It takes a long time to learn, it's very strict (This can of course also be a good thing), and you have to write a lot more code to do actually do things. But alas, if you need a compiled language, these are along with Delphi probably your best alternatives (I see people recommending D, keep in mind that it is new as of January this year, I'd imagine there's not much documentation for it).

Otherwise, I'd choose one of these three: Python, Ruby, PHP (In that order).
Studio Madcrow
Python and Ruby are known as newbie-friendly, but actually if you've never programmed before and have no pre-conceived notions about "how programming should work", I'd start with LISP, specifically a version called DrScheme. It offers a real-time GUI programmin environment and is very easy to learn.

Get it at: http://download.plt-scheme.org/
BlueVD
Well, here's where the final bottom line is drawn:
When it comes to WIN compilers, Borland suite is the best. They don't have that "turbo" nickname for nothing. Programs compiled with them are the fastest. Yep, Borland even beat MS. They have such a long experience when it comes to making windows compilers that nobody can beat them.
Now, talking about languages... Where can we start??? There are so many that you just can't pick one.
But really, only a few of them are powerfull when it comes to WIN:
  • C++
  • Object Pascal (aka Delphi)
  • C# (.Net)
  • VB

Now, think of what you want to code...
C++ and OP will do the job in most cases and you can find lots of help out there.
Heavy software will require quite a bit of programming "juice". So in this case, the order would be C++, Delphi, C# and last VB...
Personally, I prefer Delphi though C++ does the job better in some cases...
regards
These are what I'll recommend,
1. I'll perfer you to use C++ for your first choice, since it is common, muti-functioned and easy to download. It gets along very well with any systems, and I'd say it is easy to learn. Consider it first before going to my second choice.
2. The second option is to use Java. Java is also easy to use and download, and it is the most common language used by machines. Java is widely used even in machineries, factories and computers. The most pleasure thing to me is that Java have a good looking panel which helps me to construct a programme. This just makes programming more interesting.
I hope I can answer your question.

Wink Regards
akshar
Dude, your question is very ambitious.you want to know which is best programming language or which is the best compiler?
If you are beginner c will be the best language.use Turbo C for better programming.
If you are middle way programer Vb will be the best language.use Visual Studio for better programming.
If you are expert Java will be the best language.use JCreator for better programming.
All the best.
turbowolf
I recommend Ruby. A graceful and powerful programming language. Especially with the population of Ruby on Rails, it's widely used in open source community today.

Possum wrote:
Hi
What is the best Open Source Programming tool to use to make a computer application..

Cheers Possum
wernichtfragt
there is a big difference between learning programming methods and learning programming languages although they are woven into each other

programming can be done on a piece of paper
with an pencil

proggramming is math!
it logic and imagination. combination and a bit trial and error

you need to imagine what you want to do
then comes the nasty part: translate this image from your head to the computer language

the very common Von-Neumann-CPU architecture is about 50 years old and heavily antiquated (correct me if im wrong)
most computer languages suck and modern Operating Systems are most hard to understand // you will all agree with me, won't you ?

JUST ONE HOT TIP . DONT GET CAUGHT WITH ONE COMPUTER LANGUAGE
you should become familiar with at least 3 of them
and you will NOTICE BIG DIFFERENCES

although they all BASE ON THE SAME ELECTRIC CIRCUIT

but delphi will someday take you to the point where you cannot go any further because of the limits of delphi and you cannot go back because you have invested to much time

example for good c++ code ;)haha
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-72538.html&highlight=
shnuffy
wernichtfragt wrote:
example for good c++ code ;)haha
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-72538.html&highlight=

There's nothing that makes the explicitly C++ - looks like normal C to me Wink

Anyhoo, C is difficult to learn well, but extremely powerful and fast (execution time). Java is simple to learn, and you can get some impressive programs from it, but it's chunky and overkill. However, it has it's uses. C++ is just an OOP extension of C. Basically, like Java + C = C++.

VB is too packaged. I don't know where I'm going with this... just kind of rambling. But depending on what you already know (I'll assume not too much... Delphi Wink), and how much you are willing/want to learn... I would suggest starting with C. If you can get C (properly), you can get it all.

Anyway, as a side note, programming is more about concepts and principles than it is about any specific language, which are generally tailored toward specific applications/needs...

Out of curiosity, what sort of application are you building?
Mannix
falconfx wrote:
Hi,

You should be more precise about what you want: you mean a programming language or a compiler? Wink

By the way, I would suggest you to give a look at GCC as it is the de facto-standard on Linux/Unix systems and has got compilers for many programming languages.

Bye

I think falcon's got it. ...it's free, it has virtually endless example code, and it has C++. ...Which in my opinion is really the best out there. ...You can work on a very abstract object level, or down to assembly code. ...And really get a feeling for how the code you write is being executed on a computer. ...Unlike many other programming languages, C++ can generate actual executable code that doesn't need to be complied or interpreted to run at run-time.

...But C++ can be a hassle too. ...So much power and lack of direction... ...You can tinker with things you don't mean to. ...And it doesn't have much to tell you that you shouldn't be breaking what you're breaking. ...It just does what you tell it to. ...Which is nice too.
infobankr
I cast my votes for:

* PHP
* C compiled with GCC!
* Python
* Perl
* Ruby
* Java

No MS for me thank you very much Exclamation
orcaz
I prefer PHP with mysql. It is fairly easy to learn, through free online tutorials and guides. And also, PHP is one of the most supported dynamic file on web servers.
Possum
Yes..

PHP with mysql is great.

Oh.. By the way thx everyone for suporting this thread.

I have decided to stay on with Delphi.. How ever I am really appreicative of all the advice I am getting here.

I do use PHP with mysql. (Google WAMP)

Cheers Possum....