FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do Hypnotics Really Work?

tribe
Well I was tired one night and for whatever reason found myself on a hynosis website which offered a free relaxation mp3 which I listened to. And well dammit it was nice, because I really was out of it for about 8 or so minutes, then woke up, and I felt that much more relaxed.

Here is the link: http://www.remotehypnosis.com/

Post your reactions, and give it a chance. See how you feel afterwards.
Zampano
Hypnotism certainly works, but rarely provide veritable information.
A hypnotist can put a person into a trance, but A) the information thus acquired is not reliable, and B) it is a fishy and superstitious busines altogether.
achowles
I'm not that trusting of that kind of thing.

I've heard enough horror stories to not trust someone to screw with my head, unless there is a very good reason for it.
Liu
Hypnosis certainly does work from first hand experience, but the common misconception is that it could be used to go against your will. This is completely false.
Artelis
hypnosis is just a way to reach the subconcious level of your brain. Check it out on wikipedia if you're interested. As for that mp3, I believe it is working with binural beats (meaning it will ONLY work with headphones). The idea is that if you play 300hz in one ear and 304hz in another ear, your brain will interpret it as 4hz (the binural beat). So if you begin the binural beat at about 17-20hz (standard brain wave frequency for very awake) and move it slowly downwards to about 5hz (standard frequency for deep sleep) then you can use suggestion to bring your brain closer to it's subconcious.
bikeflyer05
That actually did feel relaxing. I usually dont believe things like this but yeah it works. I'll use it whenever i'm stressed lol. I'll shot it to some of my friends too. Thanks for link and have a good one!

~Chris
Nameless
My personal judgement on hypnosis is that it sounds incredibly suss and I, for one, have never been affected in any way by it.

HOWEVER. I do believe it can work, just not the way some people think. Hypnosis ONLY 'works' on people who believe it will work, because they are convinced it will work, subconsciously, they will act as if it had. It's kind of hard to explain, but yeah.
guugu
it works with weakminded ppl Very Happy

nah... seriously i belive it works... or then it works just becouse people belives that it works
CMA
Hypnosis works better on people who want to be hypnotized. But as it was shown before, not all people can be hypnotized even if they want to. I personally believe that you'd have to be quite open-minded and even a little easy to influence for this matter.

I never tried it myself, but as soon as I get home (I'm at the office now) I may try that out. Who knows...?
bartdou
really? I haven't tried this before, is this helpful to insomnia?
FaLLeN
MMM i dont really trust that at all.

Cause either you will end up paying out heaps of money for a guy to wave a watch in front of you and have it do nothing, OR you will pay him then you will be in a trance he may get you to do bad stuff...like murder or something :O
Apewebbi
It works i think.
Shin
It's quite difficult for me to believe it works, but seen it from so many TV programmes, video, etc, I must say that I'm not writing it off. I just need to see it live or perhaps experience it myself in order to believe it.
Yjaxygames
Hypnotics does work, when the patient is willing to be hypnotised.
snowboardalliance
Yjaxygames wrote:
Hypnotics does work, when the patient is willing to be hypnotised.

Yeah, I read somewhere that all hypnosis is self-hypnosis. Basically when people get hypnotized they have to try to relax and the person hypnotizing them just helps. Those audio clips are interesting. I've heard one once but did not have time to listen to it when it was quiet so it made me relax but only partially.
raaeft1
I have been using hypnosis subliminals and paraliminals and these really help in not only relaxing but also working out problems and finding effective solutions.
Recently I listened to one paraliminal on procastination. I felt inspired to put my demand for a computer to my office management. The computer is now on its way.
So these things work.
molif
wow... this sounds good.. maybe i will try one day..
eku53ru
I have always wondered if hypnotism actually worked or not. As an additional treat during my high school graduation party, a hypnotist guy was hired to come and entertain an entire group of high school seniors at approximately 1:30am until...3:00am? Needless to say, his methods weren't very convincing, and it didn't help that the majority of the people called up were aspiring stage actors and actresses.

Nevertheless, I'll never know how valid it is until I get hypnotized myself, though I'll give the site a shot if I can. I remember my psychology teacher performed a short test on everyone in the class, and I was one of the ones that showed signs of being susceptible to hypnotism. Razz
sky217
Placebo works just as well, in my opinion. If you think it will work, maybe it will work.
Wynand
When you are in hypnoses you are in a state of mind. Other state of minds include when you are sleeping, in a daydream state of mind etc.

You can go in and out of a hypnoses state of mind just as easy as you can go in and out of a daydream.
When you are in a hypnoses state of mind, you are still susceptible to outside stimuli but your guard is so to say off.

Thus if hypnoses influences you depends entirely on you.
ajithn
I think it works. Your mind has lot of powers and it is is tapping to the powers. You may be able to get out of your bad habits thru hypnotism but they may come back again
crimson_aria
i'll try this out later. I hope it will help me feel relaxed too. thanks for the link.
PSUVikings
tribe wrote:
Well I was tired one night and for whatever reason found myself on a hynosis website which offered a free relaxation mp3 which I listened to. And well dammit it was nice, because I really was out of it for about 8 or so minutes, then woke up, and I felt that much more relaxed.

Here is the link: http://www.remotehypnosis.com/

Post your reactions, and give it a chance. See how you feel afterwards.

I don't trust things like that, nor do I believe it would work Cool

You were out of it huh?........ Wink
Tuxy
Do placebo work? Only if you realy want to Wink
arkebuzer
I have allways been really sceptical about hypnosis. But since I havent tried it I dont really have a oppinion about it.
Will for sure test that mp3 later... there´s nothing to loose so why not Very Happy

Regards
tbsmicro
I can comment from personal experience here. I went to one of those hypnosis shows (Paul McKenna) and went up on the stage. I really did not feel like it was going to work but SOOO wanted it to. I really really concentrated on keeping my hands clasped together and when those people who could not open their hands were asked to stay on stage I stayed ( i can honestly say I didn't want to even try and open my hands) I think tho that the fact that we were pressing so hard to keep them together meant that our muscles were displaying "memory" anyhow. However the hypnotist whittled the people on stage now to 15 people. He went along the line and was telling people to either return to their seat or he was asking them to relax stare at their hands and putting them in a trance (allegedly) he lay them down on the stage. My peripheral vision could see him making his way down the line closer towards me but i was determined to not break my concentration from my hands (i didn't want to sit back down). He walked passed me and after a number of people were either chosen or sent back to their seat he came back to me. He asked me to look at the end of the microphone and putting his hand on my shoulder told me to "sleep" as he said it he pushed the microphone towards my face. My friends said that I literally went straight back to the floor without bending. However after being on stage laid down I did feel aware of my surroundings and I think I must have come out of the self induced trance that I was in. I then took part in the whole routine totally aware of what I was doing (i.e I bit an onion, knowing it was an onion but we had been told it was an apple) Now the thing is I cannot make my mind up to whether this was part of the hypnotic experience and I was supposed to think like this (or whether the shear embarasment factor of allegedly coming round mid act was keeping me from coming clean). I do know though that that initial "trance" was genuine and I have no recollection of "falling" to the stage.
zichlone
i just tried the hypnosis mp3 thing it is amazing it actually worked i feel great now omg i should do that before school that was amazing i feel great i cqan do everyhting really fast now its weird
Yazz
I want to believe hypnotism is real. But I wouldn't hesitate to crash a hypnotist's act if he didn't actually hypnotise me. If I'm too unnerved to do it, or something tells me not to when I'm under the spell, then I'd say whatever he's doing works. If not, then I'll say,

"I'm sorry, Mr. Hypnotist man, sir, but I'm not out of it. So take your 'You will be a monkey when I snap my fingers' and shove it up your a**."

I think it'll do well.
Vrythramax
I was my impression that hypnosis only works if the subect in question is open, or susesptable to hypnosis. I is a proven fact that not people can be hypnotized (for whatever reason).

I have also heard it said that while under hypnosis, that you can't be made to something that you would not do normally (i.e Your know it's illegal), or goes against your better judgement.

I could of course be wrong. Confused
snowboardalliance
Vrythramax wrote:
I was my impression that hypnosis only works if the subect in question is open, or susesptable to hypnosis. I is a proven fact that not people can be hypnotized (for whatever reason).

I have also heard it said that while under hypnosis, that you can't be made to something that you would not do normally (i.e Your know it's illegal), or goes against your better judgement.

I could of course be wrong. Confused

I believe that is correct. I read that somewhere too.
chrismen
Haha breast inlargement by listening to an mp3. HAHAHA
Soulfire
Hypnostism works, but not on all people. In a report on Hypnosis one figure was thrown out that around 7/10 people can be hypnotized effectively.

The key to hypnosis is that you must believe it works and you must want to be hypnotized.

If you meet the requirements above, you can be hypnotized. I am actually starting to learn self-hypnosis as a relaxation technique.

And in all reality, chances are you've hypnotized yourself accidentally. Hypnosis is nothing more than focusing soley on one thing, tuning out all outside distraction. Heck, in some manner, driving could be a form of hypnosis.

Other common forms of "accidental hypnosis" include reading books and watching T.V.

How many times have you been reading a book and not hear someone call your name? Or watching a movie and tuned out everything else? That's the basic idea of hypnosis.

It's nice.

Information obtained from hypnosis isn't always accurate.

And I feel it important to note that the subject (one who is being hypnotized) still has their morality in tact. For instant, under hypnosis, most people cannot be forced to do something they don't really want to do. Hollywood sort of distorted the image of true hypnotism a bit.
skygaia
Actually it's very difficult to believe it. But there are many thgins that work with it.
funnyerror
My aunt claims that she was hypnotized once. She isn't one to lie, so I believe that it is possible. When describing her experience, she claims that she felt as if she was in a dream and watching herself up on stage from backstage.

-FE
bonestorm74
I have my doubts about it personally, especially the dodgy guys who do it for entertainment. For example, making someone act like a dog or whatever. The people who get hypnotised always look likes stooges to me.
ReubenWilliams
can be used to get people to do things they want to do, or to allow people to give free reign to their own fantasies etc, but its really a process whereby the hypnotist allows the subject to release thoughts or feelings which are blocked in day to day life.
highlordadmin
I think it works.. Not on everyone, but on some people.

(Ahg! Short post! Must.. Write... Much... More... But.... Cant... Think... Of... Anything... Wee! Now it isent so short anymore! xD)