FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Age/Intellectual Difference





Zampano
Me and my sister are both good students at the same school. She is in Grade 12, while I am in Grade 9. I'm ashamed to admit this, but the purpose of our competition for marks is to impress our parents. I am currently getting about 94% (two subjects estimated, two known) and she a 91%. She says that the reason she is receiving less is that she has harder subjects in Grade 12 (which is true) and I countered that she is also three years older (which is true).
I want to know if you guys think her argument is valid considering the difference in age.
RiCtee
Somehow you have the same reasoning that I do. I got a sister in year 12 and I'm year 10. I guess that is a very crude way of proving who's smarter. But there are a lot of factors and variables involved. For example: different subjects or contents (as you said), stress or pressure (??), different studying environment, etc.

In shorter words, I disagree with the "comparing marks with different ages to see who's more intelligent".
Liu
Trust me, when you get older at some point your grades will deterioriate due to subject material difficulty. Unless you take easy class also in college.

Older age doesn't mean certain subjects will be easier. You simply just keep building on foundation.

Although seriously, who cares who is scoring higher between you and your sister? You two should be encouraging each other than competing.
babumuchhala
Frankly dosent make a difference, and frm my experience, I can tell you, both of u r doing excellent.

Yes marks do decrese, with increase in class, just wait till ur sis goes into some professional course (like engineering) and the 90%+ instantly becomes 60% unless u work twice as hard as before.

In 9th or 12th its mostly MUG UP and VOMIT, where as in professional courses ur brains ability to implement is tested, so marks aint a good way to compare.

Plus with increase in standards, there is also added responsibilities, and that also take a toll.

Another thing is that ur intellect cannot be judged by ur marks. Einstein was no one in school, his teachers feared the worst for him, but he is one of the
greatest scientist of all time.
thedrew
i think that's not related to the age. that depends on the willing from the students. my parents used to compare me with my older sister, because she's cleverer than me. i agreed that she studies more than i do. so when she gets better colors then mine, i think that because of her hardworks. i can do better than she does, only if i wanted to. everything comes from ourselves. age only a number.
Nyizsa
Liu wrote:
Trust me, when you get older at some point your grades will deterioriate due to subject material difficulty. Unless you take easy class also in college.

Older age doesn't mean certain subjects will be easier. You simply just keep building on foundation.

Although seriously, who cares who is scoring higher between you and your sister? You two should be encouraging each other than competing.

Yes, however a healthy competition can do good for both of you.

And yes again, your grades WILL deterioriate. I had similar grades at the time, and in the university I had exams I was VERY happy with a marginal grade.

Finally: grades are good, but don't let your life center around them. Go and have fun with friends or get a hobby you like.
Zampano
Liu wrote:
Trust me, when you get older at some point your grades will deterioriate due to subject material difficulty. Unless you take easy class also in college.

Older age doesn't mean certain subjects will be easier. You simply just keep building on foundation.

Although seriously, who cares who is scoring higher between you and your sister? You two should be encouraging each other than competing.


I disagree; it seems to be working very well for both of us.

Thanks all for the advice;I now know that I need to get cracking on this upper grade stuff . . .
HoboPelican
Well, if you HAVE to compete, why not level the field. Compare your current scores to the scores SHE had in the same grade. Just take the age out of the equation!

I also don't think that scores HAVE to decrease. Some people are late bloomers and only really get serious when they get into the subjects they are interested in. And I'm sure things have changed since my time, but back then most grades were based on the class curve, so the difficulty of subject should NOT have been an excuse for failing grades.
Liu
Zampano wrote:


I disagree; it seems to be working very well for both of us.

Thanks all for the advice;I now know that I need to get cracking on this upper grade stuff . . .

I used to compete with my brother all the time, but now at 22 I've come to realize it was just plain stupid to compete with someone of your own blood; I've come to find encouragement works so much better. Maybe you should give it a try.
Artelis
it's completely subjective by the teachers you have. Grades are never 100% accurate.
Zampano
HoboPelican wrote:
Well, if you HAVE to compete, why not level the field. Compare your current scores to the scores SHE had in the same grade. Just take the age out of the equation!

I also don't think that scores HAVE to decrease. Some people are late bloomers and only really get serious when they get into the subjects they are interested in. And I'm sure things have changed since my time, but back then most grades were based on the class curve, so the difficulty of subject should NOT have been an excuse for failing grades.


I can't, as she was one of the late bloomers you talked about. Never fear, though.

Liu wrote:
I used to compete with my brother all the time, but now at 22 I've come to realize it was just plain stupid to compete with someone of your own blood; I've come to find encouragement works so much better. Maybe you should give it a try.


Meh. I might try it, but we'd both become suspicious of each other and would have horrible marks int he adjustment period, something we can't afford. But you're right, that's what we should do, but don't.
poiko123
There is really no way to tell for certain. Take an age adjusted IQ test and then make an argument from there.
Zampano
poiko123 wrote:
There is really no way to tell for certain. Take an age adjusted IQ test and then make an argument from there.


Heheh . . . I win either way. Very Happy Imean, uh, cooperation, encouragement, uh, togetherness. Rolling Eyes Wink
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.