FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows to Linux ( Vice Versa )

n0obie4life
I just helped someone. So I thought I made a new topic on it.

Cross Over Office
Wine

Windows : Linux (format)

MS Office : OpenOffice

Internet Explorer : Mozilla Firefox
Internet Explorer : Opera

Outlook Express : Mozilla ThunderBird
Outlook Express : Balsa (for Gnome)

Photoshop : GIMP

3Ds Max : Blender 3D

Picasa : F-Spot

Sony Sound Forge : Ardour
Sony Sound Forge : Glame
Sony Sound Forge : Rezound
Sony Sound Forge : Sweep
Sony Sound Forge : GNUSound
Sony Sound Forge : ECA Sound

Anti-Virus/Adware/Spyware : CLAM AV
Anti-Virus/Adware/Spyware : F Protect
Anti-Virus/Adware/Spyware : RAV AV
Anti-Virus/Adware/Spyware : Bit Defender
Anti-Virus/Adware/Spyware : Avast!
Anti-Virus/Adware/Spyware : Norman

Flash : Flash 4 Linux

Winamp : XMMS
Winamp : Noatun

ACDsee : XnView

Windows Media Player : Xine
Windows Media Player : MPlayer

MSN, YIM, etc : Gaim
MSN, YIM, etc : Kopete

Acrobat Reader : Evince (for gnome)

Partition Magic : QtParted

Nero : K3b

FrontPage or Dreamweaver : Nvu

Changes -

Right after I posted - Added Mozilla Thunderbird and FireFox
Right after the above - Added Anti-virus and Flash 4 linux
08/06/05 - Thanks to snoppy for helping me add more stuff Wink

Helios, feel free to help Smile. Post here if you have more or if I made a typo or whatever, please inform.

I found too many. It will take me a while to copy them all.

Kudos to various forums Wink.
blackant
I installed ubuntu and now fedora.
Find that fedora is better for me, as it is able to detect my hardwares properly. Wink
n0obie4life
blackant wrote:
I installed ubuntu and now fedora.
Find that fedora is better for me, as it is able to detect my hardwares properly. Wink

No. I didn't ask for that Smile. I asked for, if you have any program that you used to use in Windows. You can post here and give me a replica of it in linux.
snoppy
Nice topic Smile

Windows ----- Linux

Winamp ----- XMMS
Winamp ----- Noatun

ACDsee ----- XnView

Windows Medya Player ----- Xine
Windows Medya Player ----- MPlayer

Ưnternet Explorer ---- Opera
Outlook Express ---- Balsa (for Gnome)

MSN, ICQ, YIM, IRC ... ----- Gaim
MSN, ICQ, YIM, IRC ... ----- Kopete

Acrobat Reader ----- Evince (for gnome)

* Partition Magic ----- QtParted

* Nero ----- K3b

* FrontPage or Dreamweaver ----- Nvu
n0obie4life
hey d00d. thanks!
neekhu
Just wanted to mention the program I use...

Outlook Express - pine
Internet Explorer - lynx
mirc - irc
putty - telnet, ssh
solitaire - fortune

Hehe Razz
Helios
I think that everything here is ok =D

Check out my Windows-Linux article on my blog.

So all of you ready-to-tell-your-friends-about-linux users will keep your mouth shut about it Very Happy

http://helios-imo.blogspot.com
n0obie4life
neekhu wrote:
Just wanted to mention the program I use...

Outlook Express - pine
Internet Explorer - lynx
mirc - irc
putty - telnet, ssh
solitaire - fortune

Hehe Razz

I'll find he links and add them soooooooon Smile.

@Helios

Lol. nice post Smile.
techcheetah
how to install Ubuntu..any links to such tutorials...i wanna install it alongwith windows xp
argha
What about Remote management in Linux ?

Like RealVNC in windows

And

Microsoft Remote manage ment softwares ?

What about Linux ?? RealVNC in windows its touch to configure any help in this ?
Helios
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5185978.html
http://www.rdesktop.org/old-archive/2002/msg00487.html

http://www.google.co.il/search?q=linux+remote+access&hl=iw&lr=&start=10&sa=N

hope the above helps..
n0obie4life
Helios teh pro Smile
D Lightbulb
i think i'll stick with windows, btw, new WIndows OS coming 2006: Windows Vista
n0obie4life
D Lightbulb wrote:

Thanks for telling us your preference.
Helios
lol yea, like we care about you and what you have to say... hehe but keep thinking we do if you want. Laughing

Anyway, you made a good decision and do us a favour and never move to linux.
lingcj
Let me see
snoppy
Hello again.
Please look at this link :
http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml
n0obie4life
snoppy wrote:
Hello again.
Please look at this link :
http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml

/me doesn't know of this site.

/me created this post because someone was requesting for ports from linux to windows
cronus
Most programs that I use on linux are now ported to windows or are developed for windows concurrently. For example when it comes to c/c++ programming the compiler suite gcc has been ported to windows (djgpp and mingw). As far as I know emacs has been ported. Popular software such as mysql can be found on both. However without doubt, I much prefer linux Smile.
huffy53
is there any free versions of wicrosoft works that i could download from anywhere as i am a student with little money and i want it for my studys any help on this would be much appreciated thank you. Laughing
n0obie4life
huffy53 wrote:
is there any free versions of wicrosoft works that i could download from anywhere as i am a student with little money and i want it for my studys any help on this would be much appreciated thank you. Laughing

www.openoffice.org open office. a good clone of ms office.
n0obie4life
huffy53 wrote:

www.openoffice.org open office. a good clone of ms office.
corey
I've got to agree with Openoffice as your choice, because often your Works document will save in its own format, which, for some reason, isn't compatible with Word, which seems to be the imposed standard. With OpenOffice, you don't have to pay for it (and there are no free copies of Works) and its compatible.
kimia
I offer you openofice.org .
it's an open source program.
rvs
my favourite linux distribution is ubuntu, it is really easy to use and update. I think that anybody that wants to try linux but is not sure what to use, ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com) is a great choice!. However, now im a happy mac user, and thats even better than linux :p
n0obie4life
rvs wrote:
my favourite linux distribution is ubuntu, it is really easy to use and update. I think that anybody that wants to try linux but is not sure what to use, ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com) is a great choice!. However, now im a happy mac user, and thats even better than linux :p

Care to read what the post it about before posting Rolling Eyes ?
neil_swann80
I'm scared of Linux... born and bread on windows... how should I start out? Have a spare machine to play with, what version of linux should I try?
tranchan
so i trying later
dkershner
neil_swann80 wrote:
I'm scared of Linux... born and bread on windows... how should I start out? Have a spare machine to play with, what version of linux should I try?

Fedora is usually a good build to start out on. Look for core 3 at http://fedora.redhat.com/

If you are a glutton for punishment, you could always try debian. Thats what I started on...and it wasn't too pleasant.

Just remember, when moving to Linux you will get frustrated, but once you get it working, the feeling of accomplishment will outweigh the dismay. There is always the added performance to keep you happy as well. Wink
Amsilva
PAIPIX
At this URL you have a nice "table comparation" of aplications Windows software and Linux.
You can also download a distribution DVD with all aplication.
Go visit at:
http://aamorimsrv.fis.fc.ul.pt/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=PaiPix_EN

Quote:
PaiPix Linux is a compilation of Free Software, based on KNOPPIX live linux, that is meant to be used in any environment but with special emphasis on science and technologies. It should provide an open door to the public including not only the tolls used by the scientists but also the best free applications that make your computer more interesting for any usage. If you like it for office, video or even gaming, who knows if someday you can get curious and give a look at the scientific applications that are in your DVD. PaiPix can be used at home, in medium and even large size organizations where the sharing of the compressed DVD image and the included afs file system support make it extreemely powerfull.

Please let me known your opinions about it.
Ashims
Okeeh... here are some apps to add to your list up the top... these are the apps I cant live without

(BTW: Vista boy, Linux is already ahead of windows by miles, from what I've seen of Vista, its going to offer pittance in comparison to some of the features that are being developed for linux that will be finised by the time its out Smile. The tide is changing my friend!)

Audio: AmaroK <-- The best music player on any computer ANYWHERE

Video: VLC <-- The greatest video player of all time (keep xine and mplayer installed for codec compatibility)

Gaming: Cedega/Wine <-- get these babies for playing your most played games on linux. They works well, but are a degree more difficult to set up the games... (I still keep a dual boot version of windows for lans).

Email/Organisation: Evolution - being worked on by the Novell guys, its sort of an outlook clone. Really cool.

.NET: The Mono Framework. (for running .net apps in a linux environment)

Coding: Eclipse <-- A Java based coding platform, its generic about its languages, you download a pack for each language you code in.

The only other thing I really need when doing a fresh install (of Ubuntu or fedora) is the samba drivers and.... the nVidia drivers... just did a fresh ubuntu install with the new version Breezy, so I'll post more infos of must haves as I run into them.

Cheers.
Ash.
Ashims
BTW. Ubuntu is good for the new user. Its based on debian but its entirely simplified for the new user. It also has a great look to it. (great default theme, great choice of desktop etc.)

It's also one CD which will shrink your download (else you can even get them to ship you a FREE ubuntu pressed cd with labels and packaging and all, though it can take a while.)

I'll post more starting info soon (like the guides to use when setting up your ubuntu/fedora systems).

Cheers.
Ash.
jongoldsz
For mplayer don't forget to download the plugins or you will not be able to view wmv/wma, rm, ogg/ogm, etc...

Also, using Linux isn't hard. I have been using it for the past year and I don't have any complaints. The only problem with Linux is that most computer games are made for Windows and/or Mac, so if you are a gamer you may not want to convert.
LostOverThere
Awesome, well done.

I'll find some later, but, There is a program that you can use to talk to someone with Google Talk, i'll find it later...
squeakypants
[img]http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=23667[/img]
wow, didn't know that existed, thx!

itunes - Amarok

Trillian - gAIM
gAIM (windows port) - gAIM

Kazaa - Limewire

Microsoft Publisher - Scribus

WinZIP - Ark

BTW, I use Fedora Core 4, though I used to use Mandrake. They both have their ups and downs. FC4 just came out, so it might just be release-glitches. Right now I'd start with Mandrake. In any case, don't use Ubuntu! I started with it and it is completely unusable! If you don't completely hate windows like I do you'll prolly give up on linux if you try to start with that.
corey
Even better than Limewire for a KaZaa replacement, use giFT and put on a front end like Apollon, so you can use KaZaa's network as well as Gnutella and OpenFT to get your files.
twocarlo
what is your best linux distro? and most widely used in the world regardless of user levels ... ex.power user to home user
SupaVegan
AIM-GAIM

Office-Open office
GW_Addict
Awesome list (and additions.) I would really like to see a new list generated that encompasses all of these files.

One I did not see anywhere is:

Windows------------Linux
Palm Dektop-------J-Pilot

Hope to see a new list here!
Helios
This is an awsome list indeed! Good job noobie.

Very helpful!

i'll add something:

eMule - aMule, xMule
really nice progs.. i'd recommend more on aMule.
uknowgary
Bill Gates - Tovard Linus

My signature: what I post reflect my thinking and knowledge. Sometimes, it may be wrong. So I am not responsible for what I posted. If my thinking is correct and it benefits you. Just PM me to thank me. My website is www.msu.edu/~avss.
sunnah
I am newbie in linux. Please tell me, how to install application to linux.
n0obie4life
I'm unstickying this as I have no time to update this anymore.
pallu
Well, actually, I believe Amarok is the best alternative to both to Windows Media Player and Winamp.
But the BIG question is another: What's the concrete alternative to Autocad??
This is a question people asked me many many times in divulgation events like Linux Day and so on.
Please, give me your opinion.
n0xvb
pallu wrote:
Well, actually, I believe Amarok is the best alternative to both to Windows Media Player and Winamp.
This is a question people asked me many many times in divulgation events like Linux Day and so on.

I haven't tried it yet, but check out http://www.graphiteone-cad.com/en/

I've heard it's pretty good, but like I said I haven't tried it yet so YMMV. It is supposed to be the best open source CAD.
Bookface
twocarlo wrote:
what is your best linux distro? and most widely used in the world regardless of user levels ... ex.power user to home user

answer to first here:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12405#82425

widely used, i don't know, but probably Red Hat or Debian. Note that there are several derivatives of Debian like Ubuntu.

back on topic:
An excellent list of equivalencies:
http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html
mostarac
Nice list...

Thank You! Cool
riv
D Lightbulb wrote:

Going to get one of its 7 versions eh?

By the way, I'm not so fond of Windows and their recent Mac imitating...
abhinav_shah
Is there any replica of the editor KATE for windows...?
Bookface
http://www.ultraedit.com/ is roughly equivalent to KATE.
withaar
Ashims wrote:
... the samba drivers and....

The samba drives?? What did I miss? I don't think there is such a thing.

I am running debian on an amd64 - very smooth. Some applications not mentioned:

msword --> lyx (a graphical frontend to latex)
netmeeting --> gnomemeeting
JabRef --> JabRef (reference manager written in java)
visio --> xfig (not user friendly vector graphics program)

One of the greatest advantages is that you can run a modern OS on older hardware and with some very solid user interfaces, check out XFCE for example.
grantmaster
If you want to just test Linux and not have to format/re-partition your hard drive, you should check out Knoppix. It's a Linux system that boots up off of the CD-Rom drive and runs from there. That means that it doesn't affect what is on the hard drive at all. When you shut down, take out the CD, your Windows system boots up just like always. It has many of the popular Linux programs, Open Office, Desktop Publishing, Graphics, Programming, Games, and much more included. And in all ways Linux, it's all free!
grantmaster
visio --> xfig (not user friendly vector graphics program)

decent diagramming in DIA (linux or windows)
desertwind
pallu wrote:

http://www.linuxcad.com/

NB: I havent tried any CAD s/w on any platforms.
Dino
windows media player - amarok
winamp - xmms
icq - kopete, icu, licq
google earth - earth 3d
Bookface
grantmaster wrote:
If you want to just test Linux and not have to format/re-partition your hard drive, you should check out Knoppix. It's a Linux system that boots up off of the CD-Rom drive and runs from there. That means that it doesn't affect what is on the hard drive at all. When you shut down, take out the CD, your Windows system boots up just like always. It has many of the popular Linux programs, Open Office, Desktop Publishing, Graphics, Programming, Games, and much more included. And in all ways Linux, it's all free!

The important thing to realize about running via Knoppix is that you are going to be dealing with a much slower system than if you installed. I love Knoppix and use it for all sorts of things, as well as a number of other LiveCD distrobutions, but you should keep that in mind if you're entering into Linux for the first time. Most applications will be significantly faster when fully installed than their Windows counterparts.
Dino
uknowgary wrote:
Bill Gates - Tovard Linus

My signature: what I post reflect my thinking and knowledge. Sometimes, it may be wrong. So I am not responsible for what I posted. If my thinking is correct and it benefits you. Just PM me to thank me. My website is www.msu.edu/~avss.
sorry, his name is Linus Torvalds