FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Giving bribes

raaeft1
Is giving bribes a necessity these days when the world is pervaded by corruption at all levels?
This is a moot question especially in India. If you want to get your work done honestly, sometimes you have to face so many bottlenecks,obstacles and even harassment if the work pertains to the government departments. The reason is clear---the staff expects to be bribed and files will move only when the palms are greased. And if you oblige by shelling out the money, the way is smooth and sometimes the outcome is favorable as per your desire for the necessary sanction or approval is obtained from top to bottom easily and effortlessly.
bikeflyer05
What I see a bribe as is someone finding an easier way to get what you want. Like on election day the people that know they dont stand a chance bribe people. I remember one time I bribed my friends to vote for me on a poll so I could get insider. By the time that was over I had alot of people to make happy if you catch my drift. Sad Thats my take on bribes.
mOrpheuS
raaeft1 wrote:
Is giving bribes a necessity these days when the world is pervaded by corruption at all levels?
This is a moot question especially in India. If you want to get your work done honestly, sometimes you have to face so many bottlenecks,obstacles and even harassment if the work pertains to the government departments. The reason is clear---the staff expects to be bribed and files will move only when the palms are greased. And if you oblige by shelling out the money, the way is smooth and sometimes the outcome is favorable as per your desire for the necessary sanction or approval is obtained from top to bottom easily and effortlessly.

Ahh ... the bureaucracy !

There's light-years worth of paperwork, stamps and signatures involved in getting the smallest of work done through a bureaucratic government machinery.
And there are bureaucrats at every step along the way.
And bureaucrats ... well, they just take bribes ... that's their nature.

Such a system is also self-defensive.
Any attempts towards reform must go through the system itself.
And the inefficiency and impotence of such a system kills any such attempt Wink
hofodomo01
Though a government taking/giving a bribe will get him/her into pretty deep shit, I don't think there's really any denying that money does make the world go round....
babumuchhala
Frankly beg to differ!!!

You can get your job done, without bribing. But yes you did better have all your papers in order, and will surely have to waste your whole day (or maybe a few more). And yes I have done my work without bribing too (at the RTO office, passport office, and a few more places) And the best part is the guys there are more than willing to help, just sport a huge smile and be kind and polite. TV Serials like Office Office over-exaggerate by a huge amount.

But well people are too impatient. They want everything done fast so they go to agents, who take money and give money (to the bureaucrats) and get your work done. And we are the ones to blame for bribery, if we stop bribing who will they take bribes from.

P.S.: To everyone who would like to compare with China, yes we are corrupt but not as much, the last Corruption Index put India at 61 and China at 63 and Belgium at 1st position and Bangladesh at last (150 or something)

So end conclusion is, we can have a corruption free world, but we will have to work towards it and not just encourage it by simply bribing more
jipmerite
Unfortunately you are not talking of reality. In reality I get asked for bribe point blank. And when I consider complaining to the superior, I realise that this isn't exactly a big secret in that office anyway.

Yes, I hate to bribe but when the corruption is from the top down, I do not have a choice.

As for your corruption Index, being 61 of a possible 150 is nothing to brag about.
raaeft1
In reality, it is not a matter of being in a hurry to get work done by bribing. Since corruption runs from bottom to top, there is no practical benefit in complaining to the top bosses as they just shrug it off. And it is also a practical experience that if you do not ``obey'' the demands; the bureaucracy will see to it that your work is not done or it is inordinately delayed.
scotty
Bribes a just a way of life in some places. I was surprised to hear Belgium was on the top of the list for corruption, I would have considered China to be the biggest in that you need to "know" the right people.
watersoul
Bribes are part of the way of life in some countries, especially poorer ones, where public officials earn poor wages.
I've crossed in and out of Laos/Cambodia border many times for a price of between $10 - $50 (USA), without the correct visa (none in fact!) or paperwork.
It served its purpose, was easier & cheaper than waiting for the visa process to run its course, and was worth more to the border guards than it was to me.
I'm not saying bribes are OK, it's corruption at the end of the day, but sometimes it's a useful tool. The main worry with bribing your way into a country is the getting out, as the guy on the border could deny everything, and get you arrested as an illegal unless you pay even more money. Luckily it never happened to me, but the fear was there!
Thats just one tale, but before we get too smug about it in the western world, we should remember its pretty much the same here, just the amount of money changing hands is a lot more Smile
oleszka
I think the worst kind of bribe is in education. When teachers ask money or students offer it. I faced with such problem when I was a student. It's really terrible.
frozenhead
Bribery is a part of any Government around the world in my opinion.

You bribe, then it where a way of corruption starts. It's really sad to think of but it's the reality. There's no really a perfect system that we can say of, i guess. Sad
Dragonfly
Since it exists and the government officials won't do our work without taking a bribe first, it has become very difficult for those who want to be righteous and doesn't want to pay bribes. I too end up paying bribes simply because there is no other way out. If you are lucky enough to be influential in the department you are dealing with, you may go through the task without giving bribe. Otherwise, some works are not done anyway. And if I want my work to be done quickly I must pay. Even though I have to shed few more money, I will end up paying. Unless, the government from the highest authority becomes strict in this matter, common man like us will end up paying bribes, for there is no other way out.

For example 1:
I applied for a Driving license on my own. I prepared really hard and the guide I used was good enough to cover all the questions they usually pose in the written test. I appeared in the written test and felt that I scored very well. Out of 15, one must correctly answer at least 10 of them, which felt was pretty easy and I felt I did it. And you know what was the result. The examiner was checking my paper but he just made only 9 correct out of 15. I thought I must have missed some and went back home. I had to come back for the examination(written test) in another few days. I thought I wrote it well but still 9/15 was correct. Now, I realized the trick. This guy has been taking Rs.50 from all the candidates and he just ticked that they scored 11/15, 12/15, 10/15, etc. If I go through agents, they will take some Rs.500 to Rs.700 00 extra from which they will pay this guy about Rs.40. At that point of time, he asked me to give Rs.50/- and he strike off the one wrong one and made it correct and the result became 10/15 and I passed the written test..... There was no other way out than to bribe...

Example 2: A friend of mine finished his post graduation in a professional course and he couldn't get his certificates because the clerks concern didn't want to process his application unless he gifts them something and they hesitate to say that the one who graduates earlier gave them expensive watches.... He is still waiting for his certificates..... as he cannot decide which gifts are good enough for those crazy officials.