FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


WW II





Blaster
World War II is one of my favorite wars. I think it was a very interesting war and had mainy interesting parts about it.

So what do you think about this war?
SonLight
Blaster wrote:
World War II is one of my favorite wars. I think it was a very interesting war and had mainy interesting parts about it.

So what do you think about this war?


"Favorite war"? Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? WW2 caused millions of deaths and untold misery for those who remained alive. On the other hand, it did bring us out of the great depression, which itself caused a lot of misery, not just in the US but in the whole world...

</tounge-in-cheek>

Oh, favorite war to study! Among other things, WW2 was the first to teach us how horrible an all-out war can be when technology is advanced. A huge number of the victims were civilians who just happened to be near military targets. The strategies and tactics of the participants are fascinating. New technological developments occured at a rapid pace. Codes and code-breaking, rocketry, radar and computers were developed as a direct result of the war effort.
Zampano
Blaster wrote:
World War II is one of my favorite wars. I think it was a very interesting war and had mainy interesting parts about it.

So what do you think about this war?

I can't see either how this can be your favourite war . . .
But I get the jist of what you're saying. I, on the other hand, don't like that because it does discredit to moral standing of the common German man.
The War of 1812, that's a good war to study. So interesting strategically.
Yjaxygames
When he says 'favourite war' he problably means the war that he finds most interesting. (he already said something likethat). Next time think before you guys give comments about that.


The WWII is a very interesting war indeed. The technology, stragegy, etc etc.
Blaster
When i say favorite i use it meaning "The war i find most interesting and enjoy learning about". Not as in favorite as in :a person or thing regarded with special favor or preference: That song is an old favorite of mine." (source dictionary.com)
Shake
World War II and the Vietnam war were hands down the most awe inducing wars.
CCFCExile
The vietnam war was the USA's biggest farce. Although I agree with the principles of eradicating Communism that supresses peoples freedoms I find that America's solutions causes the same problem.

The Vietnam war saw 100's of thousands of innocents raped, tortured, murdered, mortaly wounded, burned victimised etc. as a result of the the viet-cong and american occupations. Both should be tried for war crimes.

The Americans have made a hash of the Gulf, The removal of Saddam was a good thing in its own way but has left an Islamic based country on the brink of Civil War due to sectarianism between two muslim denominations whilst the US is trying to force a democracy that only opportunists want but none of the Iraqi's want.

The only just war at this moment I can think of is in Afghanistan where the people want to be free of opression.

My personal 'favorite' war (in the aspects of patriotism) must be the Faulklands because that showed the world that we wern't lying down for anyone and that we would endevour to protect British citizens regardless of their economic worth. 1 brit equals 100,000,000 brits. Oh, and we won!!!
Zampano
Blaster wrote:
When i say favorite i use it meaning "The war i find most interesting and enjoy learning about". Not as in favorite as in :a person or thing regarded with special favor or preference: That song is an old favorite of mine." (source dictionary.com)


I understood. Sorry if I was being stupid (I can never tell). Very Happy
HoboPelican
Zampano wrote:
... I, on the other hand, don't like that because it does discredit to moral standing of the common German man.
..


Could you explain that? While certain individuals certainly were guilty of hideous things(on both side), I don't see the German population as a whole as being immoral in that conflict.

I think I enjoy studying WWII for a number of reasons. My father flew with the 15th Air Force out of Foggia, so I grew up hearing incredible stroies about the B-17 Flying Fortress and had numerous "hands on" exhibits of his time there. Pieces of flak, .50 caliper shells, photos, training manuals, etc all brought this moment of history to life for me.

The technological progress during that conflict was amazing. So, for a future engineer, it was an amazing time. And all of those advancements had major effects on strategy. This war had it all. Major naval encounters, armor vs armor, long range bombing and eye to eye furballs in the air. Undersea weapons. Was there another conflict with that varied of an environment?
arowphin
WWII was definitly my favorite war! hitler commited suicide, we blew up a giant bronze notzi sign, and general patton smoked! it was the best war ever. at least from a video gamers stand point... LOL! Very Happy
{name here}
HoboPelican wrote:
Zampano wrote:
... I, on the other hand, don't like that because it does discredit to moral standing of the common German man.
..


Could you explain that? While certain individuals certainly were guilty of hideous things(on both side), I don't see the German population as a whole as being immoral in that conflict.

You can't. The regular German troops and civilian population had no knowledge of the death camps and the conditions in the concentration camps. Death camps were positioned in eastern Poland for the specific reason of shielding the general German population from the knowledge of The Final Solution. The few who joined the SS would know, however.
Zampano
HoboPelican wrote:
Zampano wrote:
... I, on the other hand, don't like that because it does discredit to moral standing of the common German man.
..


Could you explain that? While certain individuals certainly were guilty of hideous things(on both side), I don't see the German population as a whole as being immoral in that conflict.

Sure.
Being what some say is the source of both World Wars is incredibly demoralizing for German people especially immigrants in countries like Canada and America and whatever.
After the war, they had to go through a phase when they were horribly misunderstood by the people of those lands as racists which they were usually not.
In Canada, Japanese-Canadians were held in labour camps (sound familiar?) and were commonly denoted by racist terms applied to them in a way that people deemed socially acceptable.
Back to Germans though: I feel that the cold shoulder Germany received and still receives today is the cause of the high level of immorality there (i.e. sex clubs, etc.). The misunderstanding demoralizes German people in the eyes of the world and hence when Germany became such a rampantly immoral country, the racism became justified in the eyes of those who began it.
ralphbefree
WWII is a very interesting war. I am interested in the begining of the war and correlations between American economics and global power.

I know that following WWI in 1919 there was a economic crisis called the "panic of 1919". this panic helped set the stage for a single national currency. In 1929 the American stock market crashed, America was becoming a third world country. but thanks to the war machine and a lil rearranging of the worlds econimic systems, in the '50s America emerges as the worlds top leader country.

our dollar was no longer based upon commodities, but rather secured by the american worker. So as long as Americans work then the American dollar shall remain strong.

WWII certainly did change things for America, do you think that we would have had an excuse to enter the war if Japan had not attacked us?
Blaster
I'm sure that we would have found a way in that war. It did help out america. It supplied us with an economy really. That time of the depression was bad on all aspects and all over the world. So really for everyone it was a good thing. Without that war the world would be a lot differnt and it would have kept going down hill.
roninmedia
WWII was truly the best war to learn about. Battles took place on five continents with great advances in modern technology, making it a true world war.
Zampano
Blaster wrote:
I'm sure that we would have found a way in that war. It did help out america. It supplied us with an economy really. That time of the depression was bad on all aspects and all over the world. So really for everyone it was a good thing. Without that war the world would be a lot different and it would have kept going down hill.

I suppose, then, that even though war is unnecessary and uncalled for, it is necessary and often called for.
Montressor
HoboPelican wrote:
...B-17 Flying Fortress...
My grandfather was a B-17 pilot, and during the war (WWII of course) was a flight instructor working to train and prepare flight crews for their future missions in Europe and the Pacific.

HoboPelican wrote:
This war had it all. Major naval encounters, armor vs armor, long range bombing and eye to eye furballs in the air. Undersea weapons. Was there another conflict with that varied of an environment?
Not to mention actual physical environment, from Saharan desert, black forests, mountains, pasture and farmland in Europe, the cold of Russia, tropical islands. This war had it all in climates, and environmental challenges as well as technological and other tactical variables.
sbel
I think the most memorable part of it (well, to people like me who never really studied it in history) was D-day. And the 101st airborne. Anyone heard of that?
Yjaxygames
sbel wrote:
I think the most memorable part of it (well, to people like me who never really studied it in history) was D-day. And the 101st airborne. Anyone heard of that?


I do not really now all the names they give to some events but D-day was in normandy right? (lol, I should know that)
And 101st airborne, what's that?
Fright Knight
world war II was a costly war. Poland was the one who suffered the most. I just hope that would be the last world war because if there going to be a world war III, the world will only last for a month.
Blaster
Yea i agree polond suffered the most. They where the ones that where attacked first. They couldn't even prepare for it. Thats what sucked about it.
jerryxjetx
why u interested in WARS Thats cause many deaths..
Moonspider
jerryxjetx wrote:
why u interested in WARS Thats cause many deaths..


I think there are many reasons people find wars interesting.


  1. Tactics and strategy can be fascinating, not to mention the deeper philosophies (from Sun Tzu and Clausewitz to modern theories on 4th Generation Warfare).
  2. Military leaders can be incredibly interesting characters. (Tragic, heroic, evil, noble...)
  3. Wars have all the basic elements of story telling. (Great characters and character development, conflicts, climaxes, intriguing and often unexpected plot elements...)


These just name a few reasons that one might find wars interesting. In many ways they are like competitive games (hence the popularity of strategy games and video game warfare simulations).

As a military professional however, I would be remiss if I did not provide a caveat:
"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow to fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee [Fredericksburg, December 1862].

Respectfully,
M
Azmo
isn't there already a thread about "your favorite war" ?
turbowolf
I also like WW II. I like german army especially. They are so cool. Indeed I like Adolf Hitler. He is a great man in my point of view.

Blaster wrote:
World War II is one of my favorite wars. I think it was a very interesting war and had mainy interesting parts about it.

So what do you think about this war?
Blaster
turbowolf wrote:
I also like WW II. I like german army especially. They are so cool. Indeed I like Adolf Hitler. He is a great man in my point of view.

Blaster wrote:
World War II is one of my favorite wars. I think it was a very interesting war and had mainy interesting parts about it.

So what do you think about this war?

Shocked

How can you say that... Thats like offensive to the Jewish people here...
{name here}
Blaster wrote:
turbowolf wrote:
I also like WW II. I like german army especially. They are so cool. Indeed I like Adolf Hitler. He is a great man in my point of view.

Blaster wrote:
World War II is one of my favorite wars. I think it was a very interesting war and had mainy interesting parts about it.

So what do you think about this war?

Shocked

How can you say that... Thats like offensive to the Jewish people here...

Unfortunately it is true, in a way. The German army was the most advanced at its time. Hitler was also a great man in the perspective of how clever he was - signing a pact with the USSR behind the world's back, putting death camps in Poland so the Final Solution can be hidden from the German people. If he meant from this perspective, Jews would probably not be very offended, because it is true. If he meant that Hitler was a great man because of what he did with the Holocaust and world takeover intentions, that would be offensive to not only Jews, but Poles, Roma, Sorbians, etc.
turbowolf
I don't want to offensive the Jewish people.
Indeed I have some Jewish friends.
But I really think Adolf is a great man. He just spent 20 years to rebuild the German army and make Germany an owesome country, which is unbelievable in 1918. For himself, from a beggar to the powerful ruler of Germany is just a miracle. I really respect him, though I don't like his anti-Jewish policy. But anti-Jewish is just a tradition of European at that time. So that's not all of his fault.

Blaster wrote:
turbowolf wrote:
I also like WW II. I like german army especially. They are so cool. Indeed I like Adolf Hitler. He is a great man in my point of view.

Blaster wrote:
World War II is one of my favorite wars. I think it was a very interesting war and had mainy interesting parts about it.

So what do you think about this war?

Shocked

How can you say that... Thats like offensive to the Jewish people here...
HoboPelican
turbowolf wrote:
....But anti-Jewish is just a tradition of European at that time. So that's not all of his fault.


I think a history of anti-semitism and attempted genocide are not quite on the same level. But if you are going to admire his "genius", don't forget to consider his madness and stupidity. Declaring war on the US (the treaty with Japan was a defensive treaty), splitting his forces by attacking Russia, ignoring his generals advice on aircraft and naval deployments...the list of military mistakes is not a short one.
Blaster
Sure hitler did some good things for germany and at that time he was a great man but i still wouldn't call him a great man. Yea he helped Germany out in the beginnng but not from the start of when the Jewish people started being discriminated against. Yea at one time even the jewish people liked hiltler but i still dont' see him as a great man
qebab
Yjaxygames wrote:
sbel wrote:
I think the most memorable part of it (well, to people like me who never really studied it in history) was D-day. And the 101st airborne. Anyone heard of that?


I do not really now all the names they give to some events but D-day was in normandy right? (lol, I should know that)
And 101st airborne, what's that?


Read about "Operation: Market Garden". Alternatively watch "A Bridge Too Far", or read the books. 101st airborne was one of the divisions dropped over BeNeLux (Maastricht of memory doesn't fail me), under Market Garden, where they took heavy losses.
Wikipedia wrote:
For their efforts during World War II, the 101st Airborne Division was awarded four campaign streamers and two Presidential Unit Citations. The division suffered 1,766 Killed In Action; 6,388 Wounded In Action; and 324 Died of Wounds during World War II.


You should also read this, simply because it's an interesting read and relevant to your question. Smile

Oh, and of course, 101st airborne were dropped over Normandie the night before D-Day, and were pathfinders and lead the way for the allied invasion. I could be mistaken, but I think that the unit Band of Brothers is about was a part of this division.
Moonspider
qebab wrote:
I could be mistaken, but I think that the unit Band of Brothers is about was a part of this division.


Yes. E (aka "Easy") Company.

Respectfully,
M
Heart Ticket
Blaster wrote:
World War II is one of my favorite wars. I think it was a very interesting war and had mainy interesting parts about it.

So what do you think about this war?


HITLER WASNT EVIL HE WAS JUST MISUNDERSTOOD!!!
Unemployement in Germany went down when hitler came to power.
The National Earnings Went Up.
Thats all i know about when hitler came to power other than a few obvious facts that every one knows (like extermination of jews... ect) (No offence to any jews)

James
gs-resume
All the best war movies are about WWII - with the possible exception of Gallipoli.
RosenCruz
Check ww2history.com. It s now free and includes so many documents on WWII
jajarvin
The Battle of Arnhem was probably the most intresting battle of WWII:
From Wikipedia
Battle of Arnhem wrote:
The Battle of Arnhem was a famous Second World War military engagement fought in and around the Dutch towns of Arnhem, Oosterbeek, Wolfheze, Driel and the surrounding countryside from 17–26 September 1944.
rmines
My dad served during WW2 in the Infantry. He saw many battles and it was in his telling that I learned the geography of Europe.
On more than one occasion the German people helped him survive.
One incident was when he had a reoccurance of malaria.
A kind German woman nursed him through it.
He was at the battle of Anzio in Italy and ended up in a Red Cross tent because of malaria.
The Facist Army left him for dead because of it.
The tent had been shelled and he was the only one to survive.
I remember him as having many nightmares which never really let up throughout his life.
"War is hell" wasn't said for not.
krivo
In a big event as war they ordinary man gets dragged in without noitce.

It was also a time where information did not spread as fast as it does now.

But when you look around, war and misinformation will be there till eternity.

The onyl good thing war accomplishes is indeed fast technological evolution.
To survive.
People are most creative when under stress.
Bluedoll
Early quotes from this post “My favorite war” “Hitler was a great man”

I think what members wanted to say was that war is interesting and Hitler went from a beggar to a powerful ruler.

Yes we can learn from war. Hitler wrote a book where he described himself as a savoir of Germany and predicted that the Nazi movement would rule the world for a thousand years. He was able to motivate then manipulate. The German People got jobs and Volkswagens but in the end lost their dignity.

The Mein Kampf can be read freely today but if the Nazi movement had succeeded many people as well as the Jews would not be allowed to live including the disabled. Only Nazi approved reading only selected peoples. Reduced information. It would be a very different world. I can not respect its vulgarity.
codegeek
Why in the world would someone have a favourite war, of all things?

It's basically asserting that the characteristics of a particular war are more aesthetically pleasing to one than those of others. Wars are gruesome. In my humble opinion, wars are not supposed to be liked. Yes, they are necessary sometimes, but are in general undesirable. So, I really don't like the idea of a "favourite war".
Nick2008
codegeek wrote:
Why in the world would someone have a favourite war, of all things?

It's basically asserting that the characteristics of a particular war are more aesthetically pleasing to one than those of others. Wars are gruesome. In my humble opinion, wars are not supposed to be liked. Yes, they are necessary sometimes, but are in general undesirable. So, I really don't like the idea of a "favourite war".


I agree that the original wording was not the best, but the author cleared it up:
Blaster wrote:

When i say favorite i use it meaning "The war i find most interesting and enjoy learning about". Not as in favorite as in :a person or thing regarded with special favor or preference: That song is an old favorite of mine." (source dictionary.com)


The better wording would probably be "Which war do you find most interesting?" or "Which war do you like to study/read most about?". It is a universal fact that war is gruesome and that nobody likes it... therefore you can't necessarily have a "favorite" one - in the end all wars are blood, gore, and suffering.

But back to the idea of the thread, I do believe that World War II is the most interesting conflict to study. Not only because it is a fairly recent conflict, but because of it's reach on the globe. It is very interesting to study how relatively small countries (in comparison to the U.S. or the U.S.S.R.) such as Germany or Japan were able to evolve technologically and politically in such a short time period to the point where they were capable of challenging the world. So much in fact, that countries as far as New Zealand sent their men to fight in Europe.

The sheer amount of people involved in the conflict shows our ability as mankind to unite as one and also destroy as one. I feel like World War II showed the ugly face of mankind as a whole. And when it ultimately comes down to it, they were normal people just like us. And that is the scary part, and that is why we need to study this conflict in particular.

Remember, it is said that "history repeats itself".
Pippo90
I also find WWII the most interesting war by far. After all, there should be a reason if it is still so overexposed in tons of fictional works. Cool
pythonscorpion
it greatly pushes the advance of technology like rocket
RosenCruz
For WW2 history, I follow a couple of Tumblr blogs. With great images and commentary, I see enthusiastic people are posting great blog posts about WWII. Very deep coverage of each battle, memoirs, photos etc. Cool
LxGoodies
Heart Ticket wrote:
Blaster wrote:
World War II is one of my favorite wars. I think it was a very interesting war and had mainy interesting parts about it.

So what do you think about this war?


HITLER WASNT EVIL HE WAS JUST MISUNDERSTOOD!!!
Unemployement in Germany went down when hitler came to power.
The National Earnings Went Up.
Thats all i know about when hitler came to power other than a few obvious facts that every one knows (like extermination of jews... ect) (No offence to any jews)

James

Yeah poor Hitler ! Auschwitz wasn't evil ? Mein Kampf was misunderstood ? are you sure you know what you are talking about ?? btw extermination is a word you would use for mice and cockroaches, not for humans.. no offence.. but you ARE quite offensive mr. James !
rafael2112
SonLight wrote:


WW2 caused millions of deaths and untold misery for those who remained alive. On the other hand, it did bring us out of the great depression, which itself caused a lot of misery, not just in the US but in the whole world...

</tounge-in-cheek>

Oh, favorite war to study! Among other things, WW2 was the first to teach us how horrible an all-out war can be when technology is advanced. A huge number of the victims were civilians who just happened to be near military targets. The strategies and tactics of the participants are fascinating. New technological developments occured at a rapid pace. Codes and code-breaking, rocketry, radar and computers were developed as a direct result of the war effort.


At the end of WW2, US had doubled its GNP and has become a major world power, Europe really was destroyed.
WW2 marked the beginning of modern war, to win a battle the country needs to have mechanized army (good numbers of armored, Air Force, etc...)
WW2 view from in another way, UK declared war on germany to have invaded Poland, but at the end of the WW2 the Poland and throughout Eastern Europe stayed with the Soviets, if not would the holocaust have made bullshit, UK suffered greatly from war against Germany.
Kapellhagen
I too find WW II the most interesting war ive read about. My interest is purely military historical, the politics behind warfare is a totally other issue. Many pretty realistic computer games have added a new dimension to my interest
Related topics
Authors that don't suck.
Al Quida
What are the taboos in your culture?
The Middle East Conflict
Armies?
Tony Blair
Are Americans stupid?
IBM profiting from the Nazi in 2nd world war
Storys about ciphers.
China Olympics, boycott or not?
Guess the film. (Round D: current 1st Prize: 160 Frih$)
Very interesting photos aired from WWII
Ireland's no vote to the Lisbon Treaty
Is World War III Inevitable?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> History

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.