FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Comptuer Web Camera

brad1698
I don't know anything about Computer Web Camera's and I thought maybe someone could help me.

Every year I go on several trips and thought if I had a web cam, I would actually see my family back at home.

So I am looking to purchase one that is capable and not very expensive. Does anyone have any experience with this and have a suggestion?
brad1698
The next thing is, do you have to buy a seperate program that both users would have to have and log in to?
redice
A common camera should work. But you need some software. Here I find some software that may work.

Quote:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wpub/
Webcam, camera, scanner or other real-time video capture device FTP publishing. Webcam Publisher supports png, gif, jpg, and avi via FTP or the built in webserver. Overlay text, images, watetermarks, time stamps, and more. Multiple webcams are supported.

Quote:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/uwcp/
Ultimate WEBcam PRO 2001 is a PHP script that allows WEBcam owners to publish their WEBcams online easily. UWCP2001 have features like, putting images into a image archive with only one click,visitors will be able to vote the top5 images from your WEBcam.
sush
Yes the above software (wpub especially) can be useful. Not to mention that most instant messengers can also use webcams for real-time video chat.

You can get a standard webcam from Logitech or so, maybe under 20-30 US$.
brad1698
thanks!
PseudoKnight
I just posted this in another topic, but stickam.com is a great way to communicate with people using a webcam. At least try it out before forcing your friends and family to download extra software just to see you. It has some great features.