You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Spanish: Cual/Que and Por/Para

anyone help to clear up the usages of cual/que and por/para?

It's quite simple to explain (spanish is my native language, so it's easy for me, hehe)
"Que" means "what" while "Cual" means "which"
"Por" is a littlle bit more complex... it may mean "because of" or "by" (as for an author "written by Shakespeare" would be "escrito por Shakespeare" or also mathematically "two by four" is "dos por cuatro"). "Para" is quite similar to "for", it can be used with people ("para William" = "for William") or dates ("para mañana" = "for tomorrow"), but it sometimes is used in the same way as "to"; for example: "para comer" means "to eat"...

Well I think that's pretty much it... hope it was useful. Should you need something else, pm me and I'll be glad to help you
I think spanish its a very difficult language , I speak spanish and english just a little bit. I have seen lot of guys trying to speak spanish and it gets harder cause of conjuntion. ( is it well written ? conjuntion)

regards. (saludos)
Wow, Spanish is one of the many languages I've studied/been studying, and never have I seen an explanation so simple and helpful.

Gracias por la explicación. Very Happy
hey I am a native Spanish speaker... and I look up things in these dictionaries myself very often... wordreference is quite good, and pretty simple... (the genuine official dictionary... it means if you see it written there, it is like that, no possible objections) can be a bit more difficult but absolutely more detailed...
Which = Cual
What = Que
Who = Quien
Whom = A quien
How = Como
where = Donde
When = Cuando
For = Para
To = Hacia
By = por
Hi! I'm spanish. Sorry because my english level maybe it's badly for explain this question.

Cual/que it's easy. Always cual=which que=what. Never use "que" for quantity, use cual. This is the usual mistake.

Por and para it's more difficult. You usually use this preposition for three cases:

Para: the time o date it's exactly. "Este trabajo es para el sábado" means on Saturday and only on Saturday
Por: The time o date it's a long periode or aproximation "Vuelve a casa por vacaciones" means on holidays, but you don't know the exactly date.

Para: it's the most usual. Use para always with person, people or animal. "This gift is para Maria."
For: only when you made/do anything to someone, so a favour. "María compró pan por Antonio". Means María bought bread because Antonio couldn't buy it.

Para: When you go to a place but you haven't arrived yet. "Voy para la plaza" I go to the square
Por: When you're insede. "Voy por la plaza" You're walking in the square.

Well, I hope help you

Good luck!
cuando quieras te puedo ayudar, a i dont' speak english very well ok? jeje
El español es muy completo, puedo decir algo y ayudar, tambien italiano, stoy iniciando el chino...but afther...
It isn't enough with this translations

Which = Cual
What = Que
Who = Quien
Whom = A quien
How = Como
where = Donde
When = Cuando
For = Para
To = Hacia
By = por

Spanish language has a rich grammar. Have a lot of sentences that means the same. Every word depends of the context because has more meanings than one