FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is this a good guitar?

Is this a good guitar?
Yes
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7

Mr.NaviPacho

I am planing to buy a electric guitar and want to know if the Squier Stratocaster is any good.
Also please post some good guitars.
PM me if you have one or know someone who does.
The Mitchell
good if your a beginner depending on your level. and also depends on what gear you using it with. if your using small bedroom practice theyre fine through a small amp. They can be a problem in large venues with large amps. single coils are known for line hum and the pickups in that will probably feedback a lot. this is the same in any guitar with low end pickups. These things modified are amazing. I modded one and put a humbucker in with dual tone volume pots for each pickup and a few other bits n bobs. Go into shops and try stuff out with the same amps and pedals you will use at home. That way youll know how it feels, plays, sounds etc
Fright Knight
Squire is a good brand. Try to look for a Fender Stratocaster. If have enough money, I suggest Fender. But Squire is Good enough. It will just depends on how you maintain your guitar and how you produce your own sound and style. I once used local made bass and it doesn't have a thruss rod and the strings were 1 inch high.(too high) but I manage to play It and I played many songs. It's all in our style.
Sickness
Shocked

Squier is a TOY brand, but well... it also depends on your money and your level... it can be a good guitar for you, but it's not a good guitar
hsadmin
I had one kind of like that for my first guitar. Not bad for a begginers guitar. If you have the money, I would deffinitly go with the fender strat.. Much better quality, and looks just the same..

If you can spend $200 usd, I would reccomed an Ibanez RG 120. Great guitar for the money. Also, it depends what kind of music your going to be playing.
CtrlAltDeleteDie
Just get a Mexican Fender Stratocaster. That's what I have, and it's great.
Andrew426
I would say the squire strat is a good beginners guitar, and unless your fully into playing guitar, theres no point in sinking big money on a fender strat.

Alot of people will tell you "oh get a fender strat, Its so much better than the squire" but the truth is, for a beginner - your not going to tell the difference.
Definitely not worth spending the money on, unless you plan on using it as your main guitar for the next 10-15 years, thats when the quality and preparation of the materials used will begin to show (thats essentially the only difference)

Trust me on this - I used to own a fender strat, and my friend Harrys squire strat was so much better to play (of course this wont be the case with all all fenders vs. all squires, this is simply my personal experience).
The Mitchell
tis true squire strats can be very good. i have one with a neck that is spot on for me. I love playing it too cos its modded to all hell. But you cant compare it to a real strat but as everyone has said it depends if your a beginner and how much your willing to spend.
Tumbleweed
Andrew426 wrote:
I would say the squire strat is a good beginners guitar, and unless your fully into playing guitar, theres no point in sinking big money on a fender strat.

Alot of people will tell you "oh get a fender strat, Its so much better than the squire" but the truth is, for a beginner - your not going to tell the difference.
Definitely not worth spending the money on, unless you plan on using it as your main guitar for the next 10-15 years, thats when the quality and preparation of the materials used will begin to show (thats essentially the only difference)

Trust me on this - I used to own a fender strat, and my friend Harrys squire strat was so much better to play (of course this wont be the case with all all fenders vs. all squires, this is simply my personal experience).

Yeah ditto.........and you could allways go to a guitar shop and feel what guitar you like in your price range ,and feel some of the expensive ones to Wink
mjohnson
I am treaming of buying such a electronic Guitar,very good.
SimonWSTS
In my experience Squier guitars feel cheap to play. Many people buy them on the basis that they are made by fender and as such must be great guitars. This is far from true.

In my opinion you wold be better off looking at some less well known brands if you have a low budget and that way get more guitar for your money or if you're desparate for a Strat then fork out for a decent Fender. I am in no way knocking the stratocaster, it is a wonderful guitar however the squier version just does not do it justice.

My own first guitar is a cheaper strat alternative made by Hondo (which I'm sure none of you will have heard of). I bought it off eBay on the basis that it cost 35 and was strat styled. It may not be a Fender but it could pass for one without looking at the headstock and plays a damn sight better than any squier I've played!
snowboardalliance
As a beginner, I think squire strats are good. It's what I started with and you won't know a difference while you learn. You can spend more money later, but start with this or something else in the lower price range.
achene
Squier is a beginner guitar, but i think that there is a lot of good alternatives out there.

Of cause it also depends on what kind of music you are playing, and a squier isn't actually suitable for metal (but you can do it anyways of cause).

When i started playing guitar i found the sound of a cheap guitar and amp ok, but when you have been playing for a while you will realize that you want something that sounds better.

I would say that you should ask someone you know who can play guitar to try a lot of cheap guitars for you. As amplifier i would probably buy a POD XT or the cheaper POD 2 since it's actually really good with headphones plugged in and theres a lot of settings to mess around with.

Hope it helped a litte

- achene
Sickness
For a beginner, the best guitar is the best (and usually most expensive) guitar he can afford...

I started with my Gibson SG and I think it's the best thing I could do.
The Mitchell
Sickness wrote:
For a beginner, the best guitar is the best (and usually most expensive) guitar he can afford...

I started with my Gibson SG and I think it's the best thing I could do.

You started with a gibson SG. Fair play you must have had some money to burn.

I was actually looking at the difference between the squire guitars and their official counterparts the other day and there isnt as much difference as i expected really although from experience i can tell you that the build quality is far less on a squier than to the original fender counterpart. You will also notice that the official fender models use far better woods for the body. This makes a huge difference to tone and sustain. If you think about the wood used mahogony which is often used for high end guitars is a very hard wood therefore it absorbs less of the sustain than a softer wooded guitar. It will also have a more desirable resonance to it that say something like the squier guitars which i believe use alder. Also the neck is something huge to take into account. As someone said before they used a bass with no truss rod in. If it works fine but think about your setup. If you like the feel of a guitar but you need to change the position of the neck in relation to the guitar then you hve no chance and the money spent is, well, a waste. Also the higher end fenders will use good quality pickups unlike in the lower end squiers which use terrible terrible pickups and hum far more than the upper end models. I also believe that the circuitry wiring is different and probably of a higher quality in the original fenders. Surprisingly though i find that a lot of top end guitars STILL dont use proper shielding inside the bodies and are badly grounded. This affects the amount of hum you will get especially on bigger amps and where there are large lighting rigs to interfere with the pickup magnets and the grounding problems can also be dangerous if there are problems with your amp and can lead to very large electric shocks so be very careful of this. Having said all this if you arent doing gigs you will not be too bothered about masses of hum when you record or play live. The differences in circuitry will only make slight changes in the tone and this is also down to quality of electrical components which generally are pretty cheap and easy to replace in simple guitar circuits consisting only of volume and tone such as in the strat. Also dont be scared of guitars that are not wood. I know a few people who refuse to buy anything other than wooden guitars whereas i use the ibanez ergodyne edb600 which is made from a luthite compound. Although having said that i have active EQ circuitry in there which helps tone along a lot and gives me a much higher output and clarity than the standard tone controls which filter out frequencies rather than boosting them. This is point to take into account too. Many people do not understand the controls on guitars. The standard passive guitar (ie unpowered) uses a capacitor and variable resistor to attenuate (cut) higher frequencies so that the bass level is left as normal and the high frequencies are lost. Active guitars often either use a boosted out put from the pickups which frequencies can then be cut away or they will use active Eq which means they will boost certain frequencies. If you wish i could explain in intricate details pretty much every aspect of the guitar but it comes down to what you want, what you need and your budget. If you have the money and need a high quality gigging guitar then go get a proper strat if you just want to practice through a 10Watt amp in your bedroom and only have 100 to spare then get the squier.
deStructuralized
As long as the soundboard on your guitar isn't dampening frequencies to the point that the sound reaching your pickups sounds awful, wood type shouldn't be a particularly huge factor...especially when you're considering buying your very first instrument.

The Squier or any "electric guitar in a box" package should work fine. Focus on learning how to play before worrying about sound quality and tone.
xray7224
it could be it just depends on the pearson. after you have bought a few you will know what you like and what you should look out for. i sugest lerning on a acustic (non elctric) even though this is harder it will help when you do move on to the electric because electric's are much easyer to play Very Happy
The Mitchell
xray7224 wrote:
i sugest lerning on a acustic (non elctric) even though this is harder it will help when you do move on to the electric because electric's are much easyer to play Very Happy

i disagree. i find it harder to play an electric personally. different peoples but still. I learnt on an acoustic. maybe thats why i find it easier but id hardly say that electrics are easier to play and also why start on something harder then work down to the easier stuff. surely common sense says start easy then get harder. Why bother putting loads of effort in to get good on one then move onto something youll find easier when you could just start easy and work your way up.