FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to know the Max supported Hard Disk Size on motherboard

ibay
I have A Pentium 4 2.4 GHz system with Intel Motherboard Model D845GVSR (I mistakenly mentioned D915SV1 which doesn't exist), and a hard disk of 60 GB.
Is there any way to know how much capacity of hard disk is supported on my motherboard? I want to install a 120 GB hard disk, or maybe more if supported by motherboard. thanks.
golles
you could try google, but I can't image that motherboards won't support large harddisk, maybe not if it are really huge ones, but 500GB shouldn't be a problem....

be sure that you cab attach it to the motherboard, if you have any free IDE or SATA or SCSI connectors then there is no problem
TheGeek
::EDIT::

Ok, I did some searching for you and from my best guess, I would say that just about any hard drive size that you can fit on there will work...The only problem I see is that some motherboards can only recognize up to like...136GB i think it is...usually this can be fixed with a bios update if it happens though.
myrevolt
I have a 6 year old motherboard, and I have the 136GB limit TheGeek stated. I have a 200GB harddrive in here right now and the problem is not that you can't access all the data, its that it can't boot a partition beyond the first 136GB. Therefore if you plan on keeping your boot partition(s) closer to the inside of the platter (correct my description please). I personally multi-boot several OSes so I've experienced the limitation, but if you plan on just using one OS, say Windows, just make that your first partition and keep its size under whatever your limitation is. Then create another partition for your data (a good idea regardless) and you should be set.

Now back to your orginal question, how do you know - I'm not entirely sure, it sounds like your motherboard it relatively new, so hopefully it won't have the aforementioned limitation, but the only way I know of checking to fill the drive , install a linux distro at the end of the freespace (beyond the 136gb mark) and get a Error code 18 from GRUB.

Harddrives are cheap nowadays so have fun with that, and remember back up your data!
Bones
ibay wrote:
I have A Pentium 4 2.4 GHz system with Intel Motherboard Model D945SV1, and a hard disk of 60 GB.
Is there any way to know how much capacity of hard disk is supported on my motherboard? I want to install a 120 GB hard disk, or maybe more if supported by motherboard. thanks.

Your motherboard should be able to support any hard drive as long as it has the proper connectors. For example, you can't hook a SATA drive to an IDE controller.
ibay
Thanks to all of you for clearing me on this. My motherboard is of 2004 model and Intel's website don't say anything about maximum Hard Disk size, so I'm sure it's safe to buy approx. 200 GB of Hard Disk.
lifetalk
Well, it's not just the motherboard.. but if i am not wrong, i remember hearing about the fact that even the OS has an optimum HDD max size.. now i am not sure to what extent that is true, but i believe, that the OS has some influence too!
TheGeek
That is a good thought about the double partitions. I remember having to do that in windows a while back before SP2 came out. I had a 200GB drive that didn't get completely recognized until I split it in half, under that 136GB limit. That was a windows issue not a motherboard one but the same theory should apply to the motherboard.
Bones
lifetalk wrote:
Well, it's not just the motherboard.. but if i am not wrong, i remember hearing about the fact that even the OS has an optimum HDD max size.. now i am not sure to what extent that is true, but i believe, that the OS has some influence too!

Yes it's true that it is the OS that influences max HDD size that can be allocated. I've never seen a motherboard with any sort of limit on it, but yes the OS does. As long as you are using XP with SP2 or Vista, you shouldnt have any problems. (not sure about any other OS's)
psycosquirrel
You have to adjust some registry values in XP to get single drives to a larger size than 136Gb. There are tons of how-tos online, google it!

No modern mobos will have a filesize limit; I didn't know older ones did... I thought it was an OS-specific thing...
TheGeek
It is really only relevant on REALLY old boards. Take for instance my PII and PIII file servers, they have the limit because I installed linux on both but yet neither of them saw the full hard drive...maybe I'm just unlucky though.
Bones
psycosquirrel wrote:
You have to adjust some registry values in XP to get single drives to a larger size than 136Gb.

Only if you don't have service pack 2 installed.