FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Favorite Soda

What is YOUR favorite soda
Dr. Pepper
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Mt. Dew
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Coke
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Diet Coke
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Vannilla Coke
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Sprite
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
Coke Zero
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Pepsi
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Vanilla Pepsi
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Diet Pepsi
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cherry Pepsi
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Cherry Coke
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
MD Code Red or Livewire *Specify*
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
MD Pitchblack 1 or 2
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other *Specify in a Post*
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 42

looseballs
I know soda is not healthy, but i could find no catagory i though would be better, so here......

What is YOUR favorite soda, huh, please post....If your soda is not listed vote for Other and tell us in a post, thank you!

BTW, mine is Dr. Pepper, then Pepsi Vannilla, and the MT. Dew....and so on
Chalchihuitlicue
I'm a bit torn, I love Dr Pepper, but if I'm honest, it's a tie between Vanilla Coke and Dr Pepper. Sadly, I can't seem to really find Vanilla Coke any more, so I'm beginning to think they've just stopped making it, which makes me really sad. I used to get a bottle or two of it every day from the vending machines at school! (I voted Vanilla Coke, by the way.)
MrBlueSky
Diet Coke (Coca Cola Light) for me. I drink about 5 a 6 liters of it per day. (Which isn't exactly healthy Smile )
benjmd
Ouch, 5-6 liters a day?? That's quite a bit. Not good for the teeth or the stomach. With all that carbonation, do you fart every 10 seconds?

Me, I'm a coca-cola man. But I never have more than 2 servings a day. Everyone touts how sugary drinks will make you fat -- but really they only will if you drink too much of them. After all, what really matters in weight gain vs. weight loss is calories in and calories out. If you have a soda and think, "Okay, now I won't have those two cookies," you'll be doing well.

MrBlueSky, you should try just for a week having one glass of diet coke with each meal and otherwise drinking only water. See how it goes? I figure a person can try most things for a week and see how they go.
HoboPelican
benjmd wrote:
Ouch, 5-6 liters a day?? That's quite a bit. Not good for the teeth or the stomach. With all that carbonation, do you fart every 10 seconds?

Dang, someone drinks more diet coke than I do! I think I average about 3 liters a day (8-9 cans). Been doing it for decades. But why is it not good for you? I've mentioned this in other topics and nobody really can point out any real health issues. I've discussed this with my doc and the only issue he had was that caffeine might become an issue, but that as long as I can sleep, he wasn't worried. My dentist said diet coke shouldn't be an issue and even regular Coke wouldn't be if you just brushed your teeth normally. (BTW- no, farting doesn't seem to be a problem either Laughing)

I do take breaks from it when I go backpacking (not exactly weight friendly) and outside of an occasional headache the first day I have no problems with doing without.

The only issue I ever heard substantiated is that elderly women seem to loose bone mass faster with elevated caffeine levels. If anyone really has good info on how these drinks are bad for you, I would love to see it.

Diet Coke!
MrBlueSky
benjmd wrote:

Well, I agree with HoboPelican: I don't think it's bad for your teeth, because it doesn't contain sugar. But it isn't healthy for your stomach, I really experience that. The problem is, because I am a diabetic, Diet Coke is the only drink I like which contains no carbohydrates (sugar) at all. So I can drink it unlimited as far as my diabetes is concerned. Almost all other drinks that are light or 'diet' still contain carbohydrates, only less than normal drinks.

(BTW, farting or burping isn't a problem. I think after a while your body gets used to it. To the carbonic acid I mean, not to the farting Smile)
brilliantbeauty
I'm a sprite girl, although cherry pepsi and dr pepper comes in a close second and third, respectively. Smile I used to despise dr. pepper, but now I love it! Razz I drink about three cans a week. I'm trying to cut down though.
akshar
Quote:
Friends remember one thing all these sodas are not good for health in some way or the other,but its nice that you have it sometimes.As what i have experienced Sprite is my favourate because it releaves from thirst.
MrBlueSky
benjmd wrote:

MrBlueSky, you should try just for a week having one glass of diet coke with each meal and otherwise drinking only water. See how it goes? I figure a person can try most things for a week and see how they go.

That is a good idea, and I really should do that. But... I don't know, I just like to drink coke. It's like a little addiction. It already took a lot of time to get used to drinking diet coke instead of normal coke. At first I didn't like the taste of it at all (the irony is I now find diet coke tasting better than normal one).
HoboPelican
MrBlueSky wrote:
... At first I didn't like the taste of it at all (the irony is I now find diet coke tasting better than normal one).

Ain't that the truth. I switched from regular Coke to avoid calories and it was a struggle. But now I can't stand the taste of regular Coke. Makes me wonder to what degree you can "change" your likes and dislikes.
looseballs
Chalchihuitlicue wrote:
I'm a bit torn, I love Dr Pepper, but if I'm honest, it's a tie between Vanilla Coke and Dr Pepper. Sadly, I can't seem to really find Vanilla Coke any more, so I'm beginning to think they've just stopped making it, which makes me really sad. I used to get a bottle or two of it every day from the vending machines at school! (I voted Vanilla Coke, by the way.)

yea, they DID stop making it, and they released that berries and creme crap...but the good news is it comes back into production this summer (2007) same as Pepsi Vanilla, i 2 enjoy both sodas about equally
looseballs
HoboPelican wrote:
benjmd wrote:

Dang, someone drinks more diet coke than I do! I think I average about 3 liters a day (8-9 cans). Been doing it for decades. But why is it not good for you? I've mentioned this in other topics and nobody really can point out any real health issues. I've discussed this with my doc and the only issue he had was that caffeine might become an issue, but that as long as I can sleep, he wasn't worried. My dentist said diet coke shouldn't be an issue and even regular Coke wouldn't be if you just brushed your teeth normally. (BTW- no, farting doesn't seem to be a problem either Laughing)

I do take breaks from it when I go backpacking (not exactly weight friendly) and outside of an occasional headache the first day I have no problems with doing without.

The only issue I ever heard substantiated is that elderly women seem to loose bone mass faster with elevated caffeine levels. If anyone really has good info on how these drinks are bad for you, I would love to see it.

Diet Coke!

Carbon Dioxide is an acid, drinkin to much will eat away your esophigis (or throut, cant spell) and you stomach walls which in turn can give you ulsers and other major stomach problems. Also, yes, the caffine, it increases your heart rate at irregular paces which is not healthy either, expecially if all your doing is bein lazy while you drink it.
looseballs
HoboPelican wrote:
MrBlueSky wrote:
... At first I didn't like the taste of it at all (the irony is I now find diet coke tasting better than normal one).

Ain't that the truth. I switched from regular Coke to avoid calories and it was a struggle. But now I can't stand the taste of regular Coke. Makes me wonder to what degree you can "change" your likes and dislikes.

Yea, i'v had the same experience, as we used 2 buy coke all of the time, but eventually we started gettin only Diet Coke. My caffine addiction forced me to drink it and now i can't drink coke.
MrBlueSky
looseballs wrote:
Carbon Dioxide is an acid, drinkin to much will eat away your esophigis (or throut, cant spell) and you stomach walls which in turn can give you ulsers and other major stomach problems.

That's actually not true Smile

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/deadly.asp wrote:

Carbon dioxide, a colorless and odorless gas, is the substance that adds the sparkle and bubbles to soft drinks. Though in its gaseous state it can prove deadly in highly concentrated amounts (see our article about the 1986 eruption at Lake Nyos that killed 1,746 people in one night), it does not present a danger when incorporated into beverages. The hazard posed by carbon dioxide is not that it itself is poisonous, but that in sufficient quantity it can asphyxiate; that is, by blanketing us in its own impenetrable layer, it can prevent the oxygen we humans need to sustain life from reaching us, in the same way water causes deaths by drowning without itself being toxic. No harm results when small amounts of carbon dioxide are breathed in along with oxygen, which means one can inhale the fumes of a large number of soft drinks with impunity.

Swallowed carbon dioxide poses even less of a threat because the compound's peril lies in its ability to smother, something the stomach need not worry about. Ingested carbon dioxide is expulsed either through burping or by being carried as waste through the intestinal tract or is passed into the bloodstream through the lining of the stomach and bowel and conveyed back to the lungs to be exhaled.

Quote:

Also, yes, the caffine, it increases your heart rate at irregular paces which is not healthy either, expecially if all your doing is bein lazy while you drink it.

I agree on that one.
XxlilikaxX
Sprite

Foreveeer *-*
driftingfe3s
Although Vanilla Pepsi is pretty good, I'd have to do with Dr. Pepper. Dr. Pepper also has the most unique tastes of cola out there. I'm also a sucker for Creme Soda.
Ghost900
I rarely drink pop but when I do I like fruit pop or Sprite the most. I don't drink caffeine pop though. Very Happy
6eracing
Coke is the bomb.
Montressor
MrBlueSky wrote:
looseballs wrote:
Carbon Dioxide is an acid...

Perhaps he was trying to bring up the common acids (carbonic and phosphoric) that are present in many sodas, which are relatively weak acids. Continued exposure can (I believe) cause damage, but so can continued exposure to lemon-aid (citric acid), and many other fruit juices.

It's fairly easy to make that mistake since, when it dissolves in the blood, Carbon Dioxide is converted into Carbonic acid. Which is how your body regulates breathing, if your blood becomes too acidic due to the build up of carbonic acid, your brain stem increases the rate of breathing, and if it becomes to basic, then your rate of breathing is slowed. However, carbonic acid also serves another important purpose in the blood stream, it acts as a natural buffer. Because it is a weak acid, if the blood becomes far too acidic, the carbonic acid ions will act as a base by accepting stray hydrogen ions. Hence, I don't think that carbonic acid, in moderate quantities, really poses a severe health risk...
looseballs
MrBlueSky quoted:
Quote:
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/deadly.asp wrote:

Carbon dioxide, a colorless and odorless gas, is the substance that adds the sparkle and bubbles to soft drinks. Though in its gaseous state it can prove deadly in highly concentrated amounts (see our article about the 1986 eruption at Lake Nyos that killed 1,746 people in one night), it does not present a danger when incorporated into beverages. The hazard posed by carbon dioxide is not that it itself is poisonous, but that in sufficient quantity it can asphyxiate; that is, by blanketing us in its own impenetrable layer, it can prevent the oxygen we humans need to sustain life from reaching us, in the same way water causes deaths by drowning without itself being toxic. No harm results when small amounts of carbon dioxide are breathed in along with oxygen, which means one can inhale the fumes of a large number of soft drinks with impunity.

Swallowed carbon dioxide poses even less of a threat because the compound's peril lies in its ability to smother, something the stomach need not worry about. Ingested carbon dioxide is expulsed either through burping or by being carried as waste through the intestinal tract or is passed into the bloodstream through the lining of the stomach and bowel and conveyed back to the lungs to be exhaled.

is this a reliable site, if so my schools teaching me wrongly...
looseballs
driftingfe3s wrote:
Although Vanilla Pepsi is pretty good, I'd have to do with Dr. Pepper. Dr. Pepper also has the most unique tastes of cola out there. I'm also a sucker for Creme Soda.

yea, u rule, i totally agree

Also, i hate coke

oh, and thanks for that science lesson, i truly did like it, and didnt know that about the blood stuff
glabase
pure h20 all the way for me! i haven't drank a fizzy drink in about a year - tis mucho bad for the health... Confused
fbcompany
redbull (and a squeeze of vodka)
MrBlueSky
looseballs wrote:
is this a reliable site, if so my schools teaching me wrongly...

To a certain extend it is a reliable site, AFAIK. But on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_Dioxide, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonated_drink and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonated_water there also is no mention of fluid carbon dioxide being toxic or unhealthy (carbon dioxide as a gas on the other hand is highly toxic).

The Coca Cola company states:
Quote:

Carbon dioxide, when added to water for carbonation, is not harmful upon ingestion. Like other food ingredients, carbon dioxide has been reviewed by regulatory authorities worldwide and its safety has been confirmed. Carbonation has no documented negative effects on the gastrointestinal tract or on general health. The story about the student at Delhi University is not true.

(but of course they are not a completely objective source on this issue Smile )
.you.make.my.heart.happy.
I really like rootbeer Very Happy

~love: nIkKi
creezalird
like coke zero..the taste just give me a direct headache and shock to my throat .....feels so good and alive... really useful when I'm goin so stay up all the night...
BosLady
Montressor wrote:
MrBlueSky wrote:
looseballs wrote:
Carbon Dioxide is an acid...

Perhaps he was trying to bring up the common acids (carbonic and phosphoric) that are present in many sodas, which are relatively weak acids. Continued exposure can (I believe) cause damage, but so can continued exposure to lemon-aid (citric acid), and many other fruit juices.

It's fairly easy to make that mistake since, when it dissolves in the blood, Carbon Dioxide is converted into Carbonic acid. Which is how your body regulates breathing, if your blood becomes too acidic due to the build up of carbonic acid, your brain stem increases the rate of breathing, and if it becomes to basic, then your rate of breathing is slowed. However, carbonic acid also serves another important purpose in the blood stream, it acts as a natural buffer. Because it is a weak acid, if the blood becomes far too acidic, the carbonic acid ions will act as a base by accepting stray hydrogen ions. Hence, I don't think that carbonic acid, in moderate quantities, really poses a severe health risk...

Wow, that's a lot of information. I am going to just sit here and drink my 5th diet coke of the day and ignore this thread. Out of sight, out of mind, right?
MrBlueSky
BosLady wrote:

Wow, that's a lot of information. I am going to just sit here and drink my 5th diet coke of the day and ignore this thread. Out of sight, out of mind, right?

Actually Montressor is pointing out that soda's are not as unhealthy as some people think they are. When you don't drink them in extreme amounts it probably won't do you any damage. Smile
BosLady
I know that, I was only commenting that it was a lot of information. As for ignoring the thread, I was referring to all the bad things that had been written throughout the thread.

Sorry, I wasn't more clear. I guess I didn't mean to do the quote of the previous post. Sorry again and keep drinking.

One more thing to everyone, if I didn't have my diet coke, what would I mix my vodka with??? Laughing
MrBlueSky
BosLady wrote:
I know that, I was only commenting that it was a lot of information. As for ignoring the thread, I was referring to all the bad things that had been written throughout the thread.

Sorry, I wasn't more clear. I guess I didn't mean to do the quote of the previous post. Sorry again and keep drinking.

Don't say sorry, it's not necessary Smile

Quote:

One more thing to everyone, if I didn't have my diet coke, what would I mix my vodka with??? Laughing

With even more vodka? Laughing
BosLady
Good idea!!!
looseballs
yea, i try 2 limit my soda drinkin anyways, even though my school teaches crap, but what the heck is with that, vodka isnt a soda....But yes, i do have to agree, vodka is best when mixed with vodka! OH! I still drink about 4 Dr. Peppers a day, thats with my cut back Very Happy
DocWonton
has anyone heard of Virgil's Rootbeer? its real good.
looseballs
nope, sorry, never heard of it, is it a local company or is it nation wide, maybe outside of the united states???
shwetanshu
i mostly like orange and lemon soda... dont drink cola much... i like sprite too
silviayguga
I love the original Coke flavor
typingphenom2007
I love most of the the sodas on the list that are on this list but I love Dr.Pepper. I always get it when I go out to restaurants or fast food places. The first thing I will get will be Dr. Pepper.
russel26
i dont like soda ever i want juice and most of all i like is ice tea.. Laughing
steelcitynutrition
lately I have been on a big kick for grape soda. Especially when its over alot of ice. I make a lot of grape foam at the top
Afaceinthematrix
This was a hard decision! It was tied between Coke, Pepsi, and Sprite. I just picked Pepsi in the poll, though.
nivre
it seems that i'm addicted to soda...i've been driking it twice to thrice a day specially Mountain Dew, i can drink upto 2 liters a day. If not Mt. Dew, i usually go for sprite...i know its not good for me, but i do a lot of lot of excercises from day to day, eventually i'm exceeding my calorie needs from soda alone so i need to sweat it out...
Georgeboy
I don't think I'm addicted to soda, but I like to drink every day my coke. It has a great effect on me, it's like a medicine. It helps me to get rid off a headache.
Naruto_Fan
I gotta say coke has never cured a headache but it sure as hell makes ya feel happier, even diet coke. I chose diet coke couase i like the taste better than full sugar, but ive been drinking full sugar lately cause my friend the unofficial nutritionist of our group said something about Aspartame, a sweetener in diet drinks that is like really bad for you. Even worse, at home i usually drink Coke Zero which is even worse cause it has Aspartame and Sodium Benzoate which is even worse. So apparently full sugar coke is better for you. Something about the body being naturally equipped to deal with sugar. So hey, who would've thought! Doesn't change the fact i love the taste of diet though. full sugar coke just tastes kinda syrupy, dontcha think?
indianinworld
RED BULL !!!

Keep Smiling - Keep Living ____

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
as alwayZz - Cheers and Cherish
indianinworld
Visit me @ : http://www.sathish.frih.net
TBSC
looseballs wrote:
I know soda is not healthy, but i could find no catagory i though would be better, so here......

What is YOUR favorite soda, huh, please post....If your soda is not listed vote for Other and tell us in a post, thank you!

BTW, mine is Dr. Pepper, then Pepsi Vannilla, and the MT. Dew....and so on

I voted for coke, so far coke is in the lead. I was surprised because most people I know of drink diet coke. All sodas are just junk food. (this is the health forum, you know). Wink
elmarka
Coke Zero
jerredk
i'm almost never drinking soda. But i vote sprite. It doens't matter for me.
jesicarie
Vanilla Dr Pepper is my absolute favorite. Although Pepsi makes me hyper. Smile
akshar
I like Sprite
_AVG_
My favourite is Sprite :
- It has the least Caffeine.
- It tastes the best.
- It has the least colour ... it's just amazing, isn't it?
odonnellb
how about no soda?
vitamin water xxx Smile
mikakiev
Used to be Pepsi,a lot of pepsi,an ocean of pepsi.I"ve given up it for 2 years.Sad Smile
prisonbreakinfo
I do enjoy a lot of the drinks listed in the poll, however my favourite fizzy drink is Rubicon, preferably the mango flavour. I have only ever seen it on sale in Leeds and Aberdeen though, lol. Confused
deanhills
I love cream soda (not included in the list). I prefer the natural ones. I also like passionfruit cordial with soda water and lots of ice.
soljarag
Dr pepper... but I mostly just drink water (I prolly only drink Dr. pepper 8 times a month).... if I do drink Dr. pepper about 30% of the time its with rum or jack ....
TBSC
My favorite soda is red bull. I like it when I go out and my friends are drinking. I hardly ever have it, it is bad for you, just like all sodas.