FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gmail new feature and a question

snowboardalliance
Quote:
Just launched!

Get mail from other accounts
Now Gmail can check for the mail you receive at your other email accounts. You can retrieve your mail (new and old) from up to five other email accounts and have them all in Gmail. Then you can even create a customized 'From:' address, which lets you send messages from Gmail, but have them look like they were sent from another one of your email accounts. Please note that you can only retrieve mail from accounts that have POP3 access enabled. Learn more

This feature is currently only enabled for a limited number of users. We're working on making it more available soon. Look for it in the 'Accounts' tab in Settings.

Quick question, do you think they would mind if I used this with other gmail account I have?

I'm not sure if multiple accounts are allowed, but I have some for some different purposes, etc.
http://www.google.com/mail/help/program_policies.html
This only says you cannot:
Quote:
Create multiple user accounts in connection with any violation of the Agreement or create user accounts by automated means or under false or fraudulent pretenses

Just wondering if it's allowed because this could be more convenient.
Montressor
snowboardalliance wrote:
I'm not sure if multiple accounts are allowed, but I have some for some different purposes, etc.
Quote:
Create multiple user accounts in connection with any violation of the Agreement or create user accounts by automated means or under false or fraudulent pretenses

Actually if you look at The Policies with highlights on changes you'll notice that they added the "in connection with any violation of the Agreement" in June of 2004, it wasn't always there. So in essence you can read that as an allowance of "multiple accounts" if you aren't violating other premises of the agreement by having those multiple accounts.
MrBlueSky
I don't think that it is going to work:

Quote:

Please note that you can only retrieve mail from accounts that have POP3 access enabled.

gmail doesn't have POP3 access.
Montressor
MrBlueSky wrote:
I don't think that it is going to work:

I have my additional gmail account automatically forward everything in the inbox to my primary gmail account, and gmail even lets me send messages from my primary account and have them actually be "from" my secondary account (a feature that I've had enabled for a while, but rarely use). So inter-gmail (per se) already works...
MrBlueSky
Montressor wrote:
So inter-gmail (per se) already works...

Yes, forwarding does work, because it doesn't require POP3. This new feature doesn't work with other gmail accounts.

(I just tested it Smile )
Animal
MrBlueSky wrote:
gmail doesn't have POP3 access.

Yes it does - you just need to "Enable POP Access" from Gmail's settings.

MrBlueSky wrote:
This new feature doesn't work with other gmail accounts.

I've read on the web that it works if you use pop.googlemail.com as the other pop server, but this is likely to be a loophole that they'll close up if they really don't want users accessing multiple accounts with pop. To be honest, I think mail forwarding is the best plan, and you can still set up your Gmail account to send mail as another address (see SETTINGS > ACCOUNTS)
MrBlueSky
Animal wrote:

Yes it does - you just need to "Enable POP Access" from Gmail's settings.

Indeed. I didn't know that.

Animal wrote:
I've read on the web that it works if you use pop.googlemail.com as the other pop server, but this is likely to be a loophole that they'll close up if they really don't want users accessing multiple accounts with pop. To be honest, I think mail forwarding is the best plan, and you can still set up your Gmail account to send mail as another address (see SETTINGS > ACCOUNTS)

I can add another google mail account, after enabling POP for it. But using either pop.gmail.com or pop.googlemail the process of checking mail at the other account stalls. So they propably fixed this already. Unfortunaly, because it would be a nice feature.
jongoldsz
MrBlueSky wrote:
Montressor wrote:
So inter-gmail (per se) already works...

Yes, forwarding does work, because it doesn't require POP3. This new feature doesn't work with other gmail accounts.

(I just tested it Smile )

Not only that, but you can send gmail invites to yourself and other gmail accounts. Either someone was lazy, or Google doesn't really care if you make invite yourself to make another gmail account.

-edit-
I have this new feature and its pretty cool. I just linked my MIT email to gmail and it brought all the messages pretty quickly.
knux
yea the whole concept of pop features on gmail is kinda sluggish, it only works for some mail clients, and even then it can still be sluggish with updating accurately. The idea of gmail to gmail is interesting and if you would really want to do it you could go say, gmail -> yahoo -> gmail and then technically it would work but my question is does hotmail have support for it or is microsoft still greedy in their own little corner?
Arseniy
Pwhh... it's totally useless for me because of my damned dial-up connection, that doesn't allow me even to load all gmail stuff as a webpage. I adapted Opera to get mail from gmail account (it has a pop3 access) but I cannot use all services of gmail like googletalk, news, that new multiple accounts option.
exarkun
I had this idea at first that what gmail is referring to is that it can retrive mail from hotmail and yahoo as well, because of the "from othe mail" statement.

But guess so it can't be. However, just for your information, I think that I read a article somewhere that gmail has a pop3 enabled..
babumuchhala
snowboardalliance wrote:
Quote:
Just launched!

Get mail from other accounts
Now Gmail can check for the mail you receive at your other email accounts. You can retrieve your mail (new and old) from up to five other email accounts and have them all in Gmail. Then you can even create a customized 'From:' address, which lets you send messages from Gmail, but have them look like they were sent from another one of your email accounts. Please note that you can only retrieve mail from accounts that have POP3 access enabled. Learn more

This feature is currently only enabled for a limited number of users. We're working on making it more available soon. Look for it in the 'Accounts' tab in Settings.

Quick question, do you think they would mind if I used this with other gmail account I have?

Quote:

Just wondering if it's allowed because this could be more convenient.
If I were to answer that in 2 letters then the answer is NO

How do I know it well tried it. Not Gmail to Gmail but Gmail Hosted account (the blog mail id) to my primary Gmail id, and I got this:

CANNOT RETRIEVE MAIL FROM ANOTHER GOOGLE ACCOUNT

I wish they atleast, get this thing up, bcos, it would be a boon for many.