FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Laptop power problem

vertigoflow
My HP laptop is about 4 years old and I'm starting to have this really annoying problem where the power cord just does stay connected to it.

If I just plug it in there will be no connection and it will run off battery, which has an average charge of about 10 minutes, (it used to be ALOT longer.)

I find that if I grip the cord tightly and pull it under the laptop, maintining pressure to the front then it works. But, I have to hold it there.

Obviously, this is less than ideal.

The laptop is no longer covered under warrenty. I'm hesitant to send it back to HP because... well, i'm broke. I probably couldn't afford to pay to get it fixed.

Any advice? My hand is starting to cramp.
romaop
From what you describe this seems to be just a connection problem. Don't just send your laptop to HP. There are a lot of people who can fix/solder/substitute these connections. Look for electronic shops and ask for information.
fadirocks
it might be the wire itself try to get it Microcenter, best buy or any computer store tryout another charger if you still have same problem then yea you need to re-solder it if the cord problem then you can buy a generic one
this site had some cheap stuff for both batteries and cords
http://www.titannotebook.com
internetjobs
if you feel your power card or adapter problem, buy old one... it is available on the internet..
vertigoflow
Thanks for the great responses.

After doing quite a bit of research on this I've found it's quite a common problem for HP notebooks. The part just comes unsoldered after a couple of years.

A lot of places don't want to touch it, saying they'll need to replace the motherboard which is about as costly as just replacing the whole thing. I did find one place that deals with just this problem, but I would need to mail it out to them and hope it's not a rip-off. Googling them turned up nothing as far as complaints go, so I may just do that and cross my fingers.

Either way, I'm saving up for a new notebook and next time it sure isn't going to be an HP.
psycosquirrel
It is quite easy to fix this sort of thing, I've done it to two laptops in the past. Just carefully desolder the plug, then reattach it properly. I usually use a bit of extra solder and then hot glue it in place so that it doesn't move. In some cases, you will have to buy a new plug because the leads on the old one breaks.
Xeniczone
HP/Compaq makes pretty cheap laptops. I got a HP/Compaq laptop and the power cord doesn't say in properally if it moves any it loses connection. Which is no good to me because my battery is also gone on it and doesn't hold the correct charge.

Try to determain if it's the power cord or the connecter in the back. If it's the back of the laptop you may need to take it apart and get a new adapter for the motherboard.

If it's the powercord then you could get a new power cord. Or it may be making a bad connection. So if you get a new end for the power cord then it may fix it. But if you don't have the tools to do it, it my just be cheaper to buy a new power cord.

If anything else 4yrs old is a pritty long time for a computer. Considering upgrading would be a good option too.
vertigoflow
psycosquirrel wrote:
It is quite easy to fix this sort of thing, I've done it to two laptops in the past. Just carefully desolder the plug, then reattach it properly. I usually use a bit of extra solder and then hot glue it in place so that it doesn't move. In some cases, you will have to buy a new plug because the leads on the old one breaks.

I've never soldered anything before. Any good beginners tutorials out there for me to cut my teeth on? Not that I'm considering practicing on my laptop anytime in the near future, but it seems like an incredibably useful skill to have.
psycosquirrel
It is fairly self-explanatory. Google can probably tell you more than me Wink

Some tips though:
1: Be careful not to heat a component for too long, especially if you are soldering something that is sensitive to heat. I don't think this will give you much trouble with a power plug though
2: Take your time, but don't take too much time. You don't want to violate tip 1, but you don't want to mess up anything on accident.
3: You don't need a fancy soldering iron. I use a $10 one from Wal-Mart (don't get the "cold heat" one, I have heard it is crap). Use rosin-core solder.
4: Use as little solder as needed to get the job done.
5: A solder-sucker (I don't know the proper name Laughing ) is your friend. Use it when desoldering to keep your board clean of excess solder. Try to take all the solder off when desoldering
6: Watch yourself and the cord, if you are not careful, you can burn yourself easily, or (like my little brother did) melt through the wire of the soldering iron itself (that was a fun day Rolling Eyes ).

You may want to practice on some old junk before jumping into your laptop, just to be sure you don't damage it with sloppy soldering. Keep in mind the circuitry in laptops is VERY delicate and much more sensitive to ESD (electrostatic discharge) than desktop components or other electronics. Be sure to ground yourself to a neutral charge before starting work. Also, work on a static-free surface, and either take pictures of how everything is laid out, or remember every component's position (screws and everything) so that reassembly does not give you any problems. Some people find taking pictures of the process helps. I always can remember where stuff goes from repairing so many laptops, so I usually have no problem with reassembly. If you are careful, you shouldn't either. Cool

If you need any more help / advice, let me know Smile