FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

monument problems

akshar
Recently i came to know about major problem of our historical monuments and buildings.Building wall are full of different kinds of messages written by people.so this affects the beauty of monuments.It is impossible to keep any guard at such places and specially tose messages are written by youngsters who are mad in love.any solution that we can suggest to our tourism department?
Handermier
You really don't need a guard. You can keep these monuments pristine and looking normal by putting up a velvet rope near the problem areas. Like an art museum. Maybe a patrolling guard, but nothing too extreme needs to happen to stop these people from defacing the monuments.

-Handermier
ninjakannon
Usually graffiti is sprayed on at night, or at least after dark so roping off areas will not have an affect. I've seen graffiti all along the buildings aside train tracks so not even danger will deter the young 'budding artists' today. Here in the UK two teenagers were killed after running onto a train track at night when trying to escape from guards who had caught them spraying graffiti.

But the images do ruin many important monuments and other buildings in a cornucopia of countries around. One thing that could help is lighting up the buildings at night from all sides, so people will be more reluctant to graffiti as the risk of getting caught will be higher. I'm pretty sure installing lights would cost less than the amount that would have to be spent on cleaning a building time and time again. Although, it might take a few years to save any money.
Hiring guards would cost a lot of money but ultimately I think it could be the best way of stopping graffiti 'artists' and vandals in general.

I'm in favour of CCTV cameras, although it's unlikely anything would be done about the people who graffiti buildings unless they repeat the offence multiple times. It's just too much work and the attitude in many countries now is the typical 'I can't be bothered' one wherein they will do nothing anyway. If a security guard is employed to watch the CCTV footage live then they could perhaps use a speaker system to alert offenders that the are being watched. This may seem like a complicated idea but it could prove quite effective.
WickedGravity
Well, these ideas are all well and good, but you have to think about something.

What is it exactly we are protecting?

If we are talking about something of great historical, cultural or religious value, then of course it should be protected.

however, if we are talking about a highway overpass, a monument to cheese or a statue of a mayor from a 150 years ago, well, they can be washed.
ninjakannon
WickedGravity wrote:
If we are talking about something of great historical, cultural or religious value, then of course it should be protected.

however, if we are talking about a highway overpass, a monument to cheese or a statue of a mayor from a 150 years ago, well, they can be washed.

Many things are of importance to many people, whether it's a monument to cheese or Saint Paul’s Cathedral both may be important to some people.

In the end it's up to the owner of the monument / building to protect it from vandalism and graffiti (yet their decision to protect can be influenced by others). However, it is in national interest to protect monuments / buildings of importance so maybe it would be worthwhile to campaign for their protection.

If the owner of a monument to cheese decides that they want to employ a guard to watch over the monument at night then that's fine with me. After all, graffiti and vandalism both look bad, no matter where they are. It's just of more worth to protect the older more and/or important buildings.
springbok
I think that it is society's fault that people will deface monuments. they are not taught the importance of what the people represtnted by the statues, the buildings, battlefields, etc and how they changed our towns, coutries and even the world.

MTV is more important to the youth of today than a history book, the library, the museum or even the news. I am not even 30 yet and I still read historical books, visit museums wherever I travel and enjoy watching the history channel.

I think that if we are to stop such things then we are to teach our children and young people the importance of history and how it has made our lives and world what it is today.
ninjakannon
springbok wrote:
I think that if we are to stop such things then we are to teach our children and young people the importance of history and how it has made our lives and world what it is today.

I'm afraid that won't do any good. The youth of today will laugh at such thoughts (literally, I'm one of them and have seen it first hand - it's cool not to care). You say that "MTV is more important to the youth of today than a history book" and that's the whole point, even if it's not MTV that's important I can guarantee that it won't be anything historical (in general, of course); telling young people about the historical importance / meaning of the monuments won't change a thing, in fact. As the only people who will care will be the ones who read the history books already - and they won't be causing the graffiti / vandalism.

This is unfortunate, but true.
Zampano
springbok wrote:
I think that it is society's fault that people will deface monuments. they are not taught the importance of what the people represtnted by the statues, the buildings, battlefields, etc and how they changed our towns, coutries and even the world.

MTV is more important to the youth of today than a history book, the library, the museum or even the news. I am not even 30 yet and I still read historical books, visit museums wherever I travel and enjoy watching the history channel.

Without doubt I know that that would be fruitless. I am a student who, like you, enjoys reading classic books. The students I come into contact with sometimes scare me and sometimes disgust me. But I have some idea that they feel the same things as the ending generation on some level . . . But that it never appears. I know that they will not be able to change until they grow up, and at this point they are like orange clockworks, not aware of themselves. Unitl then, they will not know to have respect for something they see but do not care about or understand.
When they do, however, come to understand, they will likely complain about the new youth, as we are.
Oh well. That's how it is.
arakavaz
Font colour: #583
watersoul
It's such a pity when monuments are defaced with paint etc, there's so much ugly grey concrete needing brightening up with graffiti in our towns, that the old landmarks you think would be left alone.
I visit stonehenge...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/moonraking/landscape_stonehenge.shtml

...once a year for the summer solstice celebration, and this is the only 12hour period of the year that you can actually get to touch them. How disappointing it would be to see damage on this ancient site which is protected for the rest of the year by a simple single rope fence!
It's probably the case that if the site were not in remote countryside, but in a town or city, it too would probably be destroyed, but how you stop it depends partly on security, and also re-educating people to hold some respect in their hearts for the past and the people that forged it?
Pilot
I think a large part of monument protection is it's maintenance too. To simply put up a monument and walk away is to invite vandalism, not to mention the wear of years on a monument. Canada recently spent a vast amount of money rebuilding it's monument at Vimy Ridge in France. It had deteriorated over the past 85 years and was recently unveiled in it's restored form.

I think monuments are a vital part of any civilizations history and to vandalize or abandon these edifices is an insult to every man woman and child who contributes to those societies.
brucedes
I'm still waiting for scientists to create a chemical that prevents paint adhering to a surface, thus stopping graffiti.
greenwoodmonkey
catch one..
shoot him/her
Skewer head on stick
Display for all to see....
That works with cats in my garden so I am guessing it will work the same with these vandals