FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

chihuahuas

benmayim
I've got a chihuahua and would love to learn more about them from people who've had them for years.

Some of the traits I observe in my chi may be chihua traits, or just dog traits. That's what I'm hoping to figure out.

What I do know basically, is that dogs are a "pack" animal, and as such demand a certain pecking order with all in the household (pack) including the human dogs.

They seem to show some emotion, like pouting, or anger, especially at things which make them feel like they are not a member in good standing in the pack, like they have to eat something different than you.

This barely scratches the surface, let's here some replies about dogs and specifically chihuahuas. Very Happy
.ZR.
I don't know much about chihuahuas. Small dogs can be a pain, though, if they're not treated like bigger dogs. They have to be trained and disciplined, but most people 'baby' them. I admit I was the same with my pug/shitzu (well.. mother's) cross when we had her. But if you're not careful they can get food aggression issues, and toy aggression and whatnot.

The only advice I can really give is.. treat the dog like a dog should be treated. Not bad by any means. But don't let them think biting is cute or anything like that. And as with any dog they should be socialized well. Especially with bigger dogs. If they aren't and try to pick a fight they could get hurt.

Sorry if this doesn't help at all ^-^; You could probably find some good sites on google about the breed if no one here can give you the information you need =)
benmayim
tx ZR. So far, my dog has no food aggression problem, or toy aggression problem.

I still believe that you have to establish a pecking order: husband and wife are alpha and beta dogs, the children next, doggie last. I think you can avert a lot of problems just knowing and implementing that. Implementing it is not so easy, you can do things like make sure you eat before the dog eats, you go through doors before him and such things, or so my instruction manual I got online said.
.ZR.
It's basically like wolves. The alpha's are first, and the subordinates last.
Though from what I know eating doesn't have a big impact on it. Dogs and people eat at different times as it is, because I believe dogs only eat once or twice a day, while people eat.. well.. a lot more depending.

Always walking in front of or beside the dog on walks is a good idea, too. It shows who the leader is. But you probably know that ^-^;
benmayim
Yeah, maybe eating first is not as important as the dog knows who is giving him the food, and I plan to walk him a lot, we live near woods, but it's winter, now, and in Michigan, not the time of year for walks, and chihuahuas don't like cold and wet much.
.ZR.
You could dress him up in cute little outfits to keep him warm ^-^
That could be considered cruel.. but it's just so dang cute.
jasmine
.ZR. wrote:
You could dress him up in cute little outfits to keep him warm ^-^
That could be considered cruel.. but it's just so dang cute.

*looks guilty*

I used to do that with my pet Dachshund. Eep!

And I had to agree with small dogs can be a pain sometimes. Especialy when you try to chase them since they are so frisky and can go through nook and corners. LOL

The best thing to do with small pets is to have them know what they can and cannot do in your household. Smile
thealpha
is it good then?
rheanna
Grr bother lost my chihuahua *Sniff*

Best dog you could ever have..

My chihuahua [Chichi] would attack on command.. And he used to put my St. Bernard in his place. For a small dog he always acted like a rottie and that St. Bernard [Ceaser] would listen.
Annush_K
I've never had a chi or trained one, but my soul sister has one, a very nice black male. :3 Must agree with you guys, about the hierarchy in family. I've seen that too many times, when a little doggy, being a puppy, gets addicted to much attention from humans in the family (especially women, hehe) and then slowly gets to terror all the family members. Even though little chi's won't make too much mess, still the misbehaviour and bites is not what you want to get from your canine friend, yes? Wink

Little dogs like chihuahuas also have various health problems connected with their size. You should pay much attention to the teeth, especially when the permanent teeth are growing. The jaws of chi's are ofthen too small for all the teeth, and they just don't fit in. Also, make sure your dog doesn't have problems removing the milky teeth, because if they don't fall out when the perms are growing, this can also cause difficulties. One more thing to pay attention to is the prophylaxis of dental calculus. I've seen many small dogs with just TONES of it, probably because small dogs rarely get something hard to chew - owners usually feed them humans food only :\
joyfulheart
I am owned by 2 rather large purebred (not good quality, obviously but I love them just the same) Chihuahua's and 1 Hairless Chinese Crested.

Foxman does not look much like a Chi despite his registration papers but he is the sweetest dog I have ever owned!!

Twinkie has a large body but a very Chi looking face. His temperment is what I would consider very Chihuahua like...stubborn and a bit snappy (although these two traits COULD BE because I have spoiled them rotten).

It is easy to spoil these little guys since most people, including myself, consider them as babies because of their size. Some, in fact, TREAT them like their human counterparts which is a mistake since they really ARE dogs (ask me...I know).

My human kids are long gone from home and I have no grandchildren. Twinkie would NOT be good around small children and I would never have gotten him if I had them in the home or visiting.

I think that if you remain "alpha dog" with these guys, you might be OK. That doesn't mean being "physical" with them, just not letting them get away with whatever they choose to do.

I could probably change Twinkie's behavour if I wanted to but at his age...and mine...it isn't worth it to me.

Good luck with your baby!!

joyfulheart
jipmerite
I don't know anything about Dogs cos Dogs are not allowed in the Maldives. I only know that once a tourist 'smuggled' a chihuahua in her handbag. She did not know it was not allowed and people only found out about it after she was safely at her resort. hehe.
joyfulheart
jipmerite wrote:
I don't know anything about Dogs cos Dogs are not allowed in the Maldives. I only know that once a tourist 'smuggled' a chihuahua in her handbag. She did not know it was not allowed and people only found out about it after she was safely at her resort. hehe.

Oh my goodness, I can't IMAGINE a world without dogs!!! Is it because of Rabies???

joyfulheart
Coclus
I love chihuahauas.. one little advic: Dont give them chocolate they die!
thealpha
i have two, they are very cute, i always play with them
odinstag
I haven't owned one. But I have known several. Pretty grumpy some times but they are fun as can be to play with.

And pound for pound they have the attitude of a lion.
joyfulheart
odinstag wrote:
I haven't owned one. But I have known several. Pretty grumpy some times but they are fun as can be to play with.

And pound for pound they have the attitude of a lion.

Exactly...they have NO idea how small they are!!

One of my Chi's has a wonderful personality. The other...well...lets just say I would not have him around of he were a large dog. I have no grandkids and he does not run so my husband and I are the only one's who have to "deal" with him.

The Hairless Chinese Crested is just a little lovebug!!

Louise