FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Medieval Era

medievalman26
Does anyone (aside from me of course) like the medieval era a lot. Chivalry was a great code that still should be in effect today (at least I think so). I know that they are a ton of horrible atrocities committed in the name of God or Allah or whatever else they may have called it. They had the Crusades, Jihads, assassinations, huge battles, amazing structures built, advances in technology (not the greatest ones but a few), built castles, and many, many other things. Here is a little known fact there was a second (smaller, much smaller) ice age during the medieval era.
Jeff_vella_leone
medievalman26 wrote:
Does anyone (aside from me of course) like the medieval era a lot. Chivalry was a great code that still should be in effect today (at least I think so). I know that they are a ton of horrible atrocities committed in the name of God or Allah or whatever else they may have called it. They had the Crusades, Jihads, assassinations, huge battles, amazing structures built, advances in technology (not the greatest ones but a few), built castles, and many, many other things. Here is a little known fact there was a second (smaller, much smaller) ice age during the medieval era.

yep the medival era is somewhat cool where the law of honor rules
i consider myself a man of honor because i try to keep up to my word at all costs
sometimes i think that i was born inthe wrong era
i know its funny though i just feel it
Montressor
Jeff_vella_leone wrote:
yep the medival era is somewhat cool where the law of honor rules

There's only one little problem, as a knight (a very small percentage of the population) you would have to defend your honor at all costs, including vengeance killing (which leads to more vengeance killing) taking up impossible tasks (Sir Gawain and the Green Knight) and other such things. Perhaps a modified code of honor is needed.
{name here}
I hate the middle ages, personally. It was ravaged with the plague in places west of Poland, people bathed themselves in the same rivers in which they drank and relieved themselves, and worst of all monarchy tied close the the Catholic church. People were also illiterate, and more unwilling to accept scientific development than other eras in history like the time of the Grecians.

Now, the Roman Republic era, that was an era. There were a lot of advances including plumbing(which went down the drain with the Roman empire), the invention of the republic, conquest through the world, warfare tactics that would influence future wars, etc.
Keran
I really like Medieval age, as someone said before, the Law and Honor of Knights is really interesting, to see people be willing to sacrifice their lives just to protect their honor or country is incredible for me. Somehow I wish I would be able to be like a such knight.
Also I'm a big fan of Gothic game series so that's an additional reason why I love medieval age so much. There's no other Era like that
;]
Fright Knight
Medieval age is cool. All those knights and princesses and kings and queens. Its like old school RPG in real life. Wow. Cool huh? The only problem is that there is no peace in medieval age. I guess people lived in not a very peaceful way knowing that anytime, their town/city may be conquered or attacked by other towns/city. I would prefer a much peaceful medieval age though.
roboguyspacedude
The medieval age is awesome! All the sword fighting and medieval fighting is quite interesting to study. All the castles and princes/princess' are the fundamental building blocks of fairy tales as well. They are simply amazing.
qebab
I am pretty sure I wouldn't have enjoyed living the medieval era, but I do enjoy reading about it. It is probably one of the most interesting historical eras to read about, together with the Roman Republic, and the two World Wars.

However, I think a lot of the information we have about it is simply about the political situations, and there isn't that much about "the simple peasant". Now, it is nice to think that had you lived in the medieval era, you could have been a knight, or a soldier, but you have to take into consideration that for most of the population, that could never have happened. Unless, of course, you were drafted by your feudal lord, and had to go into the war with a hay fork, or a wooden spear - and somehow made a name for yourself during the fight, after having had to walk insanely large distances on a diet consisting of... Err, I don't think I want to finish that trail of thought.

Interesting to read about, probably not so fun to experience it.
WickedGravity
If you want to live in the Middle Ages, then I would highly recommend that you desire to be wealthy. Being poor back then meant a life of back breaking labour, disease infested living and a death by about thirty if you were lucky enough not to have to be a footman in one of the hundreds of wars that were fought.

Mind you, I am a huge fan of the time, so don't think i am bashing.

Chivalry, renaissance, beauty, poetry, literature, invention. A beautiful thing it must have been to see.
sbel
i know a bit about it's architecture.

During this time, focus was put into churches as many were built along the paths to Spain. The designs looked very fotress-like. But pre-gothic
Moonspider
medievalman26 wrote:

Just a small correction. There was no "ice age" during the Middle Ages. To the contrary, this period is often referred to as the "Medieval Warming Period," as it is believed temperatures were actually above normal (Some claim it was warmer than even today, but this is in dispute. Nonetheless it was warm enough to have very successful wine vineyards in England.) Some time after the 14th Century (perhaps as late as the 16th Century), the Little Ice Age began and continued until the 19th Century.

Respectfully,
M
medievalman26
Thanks Moonspider, I appreciate the correction.

If anyone wants some more info on the Little Ice Age well here it is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

{name here} wrote:
I hate the middle ages, personally. It was ravaged with the plague in places west of Poland, people bathed themselves in the same rivers in which they drank and relieved themselves, and worst of all monarchy tied close the the Catholic church. People were also illiterate, and more unwilling to accept scientific development than other eras in history like the time of the Grecians.

Now, the Roman Republic era, that was an era. There were a lot of advances including plumbing(which went down the drain with the Roman empire), the invention of the republic, conquest through the world, warfare tactics that would influence future wars, etc.

I do agree that the Romans had significant advances such as you mentioned. However you apparently do not really understand what the Romans were actually like. Just follow the link and you will see. No offense is meant I just think you should read up on it a little.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Rome#Republic[url]
acellama88
I personally liked the Midevil Age of mankind. My favorite weapon of all time has to be the Trebuchets. The thought of using a counterweight to propel a projectile is genious for back in those days. The thought of stories such as King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table are great to think and read about. Just thinking of all that armor they had to wear going into battle makes me feel like a wimp, and I'm not little man.
arowphin
midevil era was the best era ever! especially during the third age of middle earth! LOL! Very Happy if only the midevil era had hobbits and rings it would be complete! LOL! Very Happy
Montressor
acellama88 wrote:
King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table...
Yes, it's quite easy to like the glorified and exaggerated tales of the medieval era, but you must also consider the distasteful and real aspects of the times. The knights (as a social class) were essentially well paid bodyguards (thugs) who were born into the right family to get weapons, armor, training, and the patronage of a king. Moreover, they were (as has been noted) a very small percentage of the medieval population; the majority of people were serfs, slaves and suchlike.

You can bask in the glory of the highest heights of medieval society, but you must also consider the oppression that the common man suffered. I like to compare it (the medieval ages) to the US's own "Gilded Age", in which wealth and "glory" soared in the US, but only for a very select few, the rest of the citizens were heavily oppressed and lived close to, or in poverty.
arowphin
well.... i would just like to be a knight back then.
not a peasent, but a knight, or a king!
i try not to pay attention to those other (less cool) facts.
medievalman26
arowphin wrote:
well.... i would just like to be a knight back then.
not a peasent, but a knight, or a king!
i try not to pay attention to those other (less cool) facts.

Yes but you do have to acknowledge them. It is awesome that you want to be a knight but when you think about it the common man may have outnumbered them but the armies of the era were not only made up of knights they had archers, foot soldiers, pole arm troops and siege weaponry. So overall the "common" man could probably enlist and have a cool job like manning a catapult or trebuchet. Also those less cool facts are really important to the medieval era. Being a king was kind of a bad job because anything that happend, good or bad, tended to be blamed on the king.
Azmo
I was just thinking about about myself in that time period.. and if I would have been born into that time, with the same personality and way of thinking as I have today.. the only way I can see my self is as neither a knight or a peasant.. but something less beautiful.. The only thing I can see myself as, is an outlaw, some kind of hunter/warrior living in the woods, always on the move, together with some friends/partners.. bounty hunting and always picking fights..

Hm.. it's funny when you realise that what you think of is something less honorable.. but tried to be honest with myself.. and that's where I ended up.. in the woods, with a big axe or a club.. not a bow, or a sword, or a spear or any other beautiful wpn.. but an axe, or a club.. hm, hope I was able to hit hard and hit right on my first strike Very Happy
medievalman26
Azmo wrote:
I was just thinking about about myself in that time period.. and if I would have been born into that time, with the same personality and way of thinking as I have today.. the only way I can see my self is as neither a knight or a peasant.. but something less beautiful.. The only thing I can see myself as, is an outlaw, some kind of hunter/warrior living in the woods, always on the move, together with some friends/partners.. bounty hunting and always picking fights..

Hm.. it's funny when you realise that what you think of is something less honorable.. but tried to be honest with myself.. and that's where I ended up.. in the woods, with a big axe or a club.. not a bow, or a sword, or a spear or any other beautiful wpn.. but an axe, or a club.. hm, hope I was able to hit hard and hit right on my first strike Very Happy

Ha it sounds like you play to many games. No but seriously it does sound like "the good life". Personally I would rather have been born in the Scotland Highlands. How about you Azmo?
Montressor
medievalman26 wrote:
born in the Scotland Highlands...
I suppose that's where I'd be, with my clan of sheep rustlers (yes, my ancestry includes a Scottish clan of sheep rustlers).
Holy
Wow. I am a big fan of the medieval era. I love medieval computer games (like Elder Scrolls Games). I love learning about medieval times. I love reading books on the medieval era. I kind of wish I was born back then. When war was not a sight and shoot type fight. It took more skill. Swords and bow and arrow. Also there was just more... earth I guess you could say. Now a days all there are is buildings and stuff. Back then there was small homes, taverns, and other nice stuff. I guess you could say that it was a more peaceful, nature filled environment. Humans back then also didn't have to worry about Global Warming or Weapons of Mass Destruction back then either. Although these did have to worry about the plague and sicknesses like that. But I still love the medieval era. I recommend anyone who wants to play a video game that is medieval like, they should play Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.
brucedes
medievalman26 wrote:
Chivalry was a great code that still should be in effect today (at least I think so).

Actually, chivalry wasn't as widespread as it appeared. Although everyone believed in the notion of courtly love and chivalry, it rarely played out like that, especially amongst the lower classes. A relatively accurate portrayal of chivalry and courtship in the medieval era is The Miller's Tale, which, although mocks the notions, does show the more real life implementation of them.

And that leads me to why I like the Medieval era: Chaucer. His work is profound, and he was clearly ahead of his times. Plus I like Middle English, too. Razz
Jeff_vella_leone
Holy wrote:
Wow. I am a big fan of the medieval era. I love medieval computer games (like Elder Scrolls Games). I love learning about medieval times. I love reading books on the medieval era. I kind of wish I was born back then. When war was not a sight and shoot type fight. It took more skill. Swords and bow and arrow. Also there was just more... earth I guess you could say. Now a days all there are is buildings and stuff. Back then there was small homes, taverns, and other nice stuff. I guess you could say that it was a more peaceful, nature filled environment. Humans back then also didn't have to worry about Global Warming or Weapons of Mass Destruction back then either. Although these did have to worry about the plague and sicknesses like that. But I still love the medieval era. I recommend anyone who wants to play a video game that is medieval like, they should play Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

yyep ur so right man
i totally agree with you
i really love strategy games espacially during the medival era
the only thing that i dont like in allwost all history is that they gave too much privelages to blood lines
i prefair to judge a man buy his character
if a man has honor of a knight its not important if he is of slave origin or if he has blood.
i allways beleave that people should be juged by what they do not by what they are.
Azmo
medievalman26 wrote:
Azmo wrote:

Ha it sounds like you play to many games. No but seriously it does sound like "the good life". Personally I would rather have been born in the Scotland Highlands. How about you Azmo?

hehe Smile Havn't played any games for a long time now tho.. work takes all my time... Yes I like the whole idea of it, it sounds good, to be free.. but impossible to say if I would enjoy it, or even manage it.. was just a picture in my head Smile

hm, Scotland huh.. guess I wouldnt mind that either, as long as the peace remained. More free people, living in clans.. sure sounds better then living as a pessant/slave in England...
Jeff_vella_leone
Azmo wrote:
medievalman26 wrote:
Azmo wrote:

hehe Smile Havn't played any games for a long time now tho.. work takes all my time... Yes I like the whole idea of it, it sounds good, to be free.. but impossible to say if I would enjoy it, or even manage it.. was just a picture in my head Smile

hm, Scotland huh.. guess I wouldnt mind that either, as long as the peace remained. More free people, living in clans.. sure sounds better then living as a pessant/slave in England...

well on the contrary i would prefair my self to be a general with a sword
that goes into battle and handles diplomatic actions with other empires
free man in that era end up or dead or prisinors(slaves).
i want to have power and be able to handle big responsabilities, because im quite good in diplomacy and in battle tactics,
web-geek
I think that the Medieval era is definatly overrated and romatisized a bit.
The crusades is nothing to be proud of, but other then that its a pretty fun time to study, espicaly the music history side of it, but that is just me.
medievalman26
web-geek wrote:
I think that the Medieval era is definatly overrated and romatisized a bit.
The crusades is nothing to be proud of, but other then that its a pretty fun time to study, espicaly the music history side of it, but that is just me.

It definately is romantisized...quite a bit actually. You are right about the crusades but also the otherside of that is that eventually the Turks or Egyptians(I am not 100% sure but I think it was the Turks) took back the area. This caused another crusade. Despite what you might think you are not alone on the music history side, I found it to be... different I think is the correct word.
Jeff_vella_leone
well in the medival era
my country had participated in lot of battles
the mostly known was when the turks came to concour Malta for the second time
Malta was under the knights of St. John
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Malta_(1565)
with an army of 30,000 men against 8,000 defenders
malta resisted the invasion with a glorios victory marking the first true defeat for the ottomans.
Master_Link
{name here} wrote:

hate to break it to ya but this is like the time were science is new and not alot of people believed in it as you said...they believed in the Gods of there land and what the king said goes they didnt need anyone to explain to them that the world goes around the sun gravity is what holds us down they were fine with that they had allthough science has brought us together or we would not have this conv on the computer but me Personaly I love the Medival Ages specialy the storys Merlin and Round table
Jeff_vella_leone
Master_Link wrote:
{name here} wrote:

hate to break it to ya but this is like the time were science is new and not alot of people believed in it as you said...they believed in the Gods of there land and what the king said goes they didnt need anyone to explain to them that the world goes around the sun gravity is what holds us down they were fine with that they had allthough science has brought us together or we would not have this conv on the computer but me Personaly I love the Medival Ages specialy the storys Merlin and Round table

i bet you like much real time strategy games ehh?
i just saw the movie King Arthur like 2 days ago and its allways ammasing
its a movie u shouldnt wish to miss if u like the Round table though this fact happened after the medival era
medievalman26
Jeff_vella_leone wrote:
Master_Link wrote:
{name here} wrote:

i bet you like much real time strategy games ehh?
i just saw the movie King Arthur like 2 days ago and its allways ammasing
its a movie u shouldnt wish to miss if u like the Round table though this fact happened after the medival era

You are correct sir. Ok that was a lame statement but you are right on the money with the King Arthur info.
Jeff_vella_leone
welll i did some research and found out that i was somewhat wrong lol
well the romans came before the middle ages
and king artur came exactly after the romans
while they where still there
so king arthur came before or at the start the middle ages not after
the middle ages where good and bad times in history
lot of poverty and little wars between providence rulers
the roman empire had fallen and left europe in disaster
after some 100's of years then came the church with all of its power
and then the crussades started
well hope i helped Smile
ryanh2006
Hey guys how's it going? Wow this is a great thread Very Happy Yeah medievalman26 I think that you have a great, great point. There are certain things that occurred during these times that were both inspirational and revolutionary. However, sadly as is the case with most of mankind's history atrocities and bloodshed occurred as well. But also like some other people said, they were also dark times that were filled with plagues, sometimes famines and also persecution.
medievalman26
Jeff_vella_leone wrote:
welll i did some research and found out that i was somewhat wrong lol
well the romans came before the middle ages
and king artur came exactly after the romans
while they where still there
so king arthur came before or at the start the middle ages not after
the middle ages where good and bad times in history
lot of poverty and little wars between providence rulers
the roman empire had fallen and left europe in disaster
after some 100's of years then came the church with all of its power
and then the crussades started
well hope i helped Smile

I thought Arthur was closer towards the Dark Ages. At the end of the Dark Ages and the beginning of the Medieval Era. Was that when it was? Hmmm... I will have to do some research in my free time.

ryanh2006 wrote:
Hey guys how's it going? Wow this is a great thread Very Happy Yeah medievalman26 I think that you have a great, great point. There are certain things that occurred during these times that were both inspirational and revolutionary. However, sadly as is the case with most of mankind's history atrocities and bloodshed occurred as well. But also like some other people said, they were also dark times that were filled with plagues, sometimes famines and also persecution.

Thank you. The atrocities are a point of view as is most everything. Some say Vlad the Impaler was evil(I agree) others say he wasn't. It all depends on perspective in the end. There were horrible plagues, devastating disasters, amazing cover ups of persecution, and what era would be complete without famine and bloodshed? You also have to look at the advances in the lifestyles of people along with great strides in technology. It, to me, was an amazing era. I am still amazed that mankind can be so horrible and yet so great at the same time.
Vrythramax
LOL..the MYTH of King Arthur and the knights of the round table was written by a prisoner who was held for 17 years because his king would not pay the ransom for his release. After the death of the king, his son paid the ransom to have him released. His story of a perfect king and honorable nights was a mere work of fiction....there is no proof existing that King Arthur, nor his knights ever existed. as for chivalry, didn't sir Lancelot sleep with the queen....hardly an act of honor.

You talk of chivarlry...the knights of that era subdued and subjected the serfs of the time imposing outlandish taxes so that they (the knights) could live in a life style to which they had become accustomed. Often time times using brutal methods.

Read your facts...this was not a glamorous nor romantic time....exactly the opposite, it was a brutal time.
{name here}
Quote:

Face it, people at that time were idiots, just plain idiots for the most part(there were a few gems like Galileo, Chaucer, and Da Vinci in the intelligence department). Science was not new - the Greeks, Egyptians, and Romans were dabbling in it for years. People were executed for having ideas that were not standard to the common beliefs of the time.
You are an atheist? The idea is simply preposterous. To the gallows.
You believe in the idea that the earth revolves around the sun? Preposterous. To the gallows.
You believe that the peasants should choose who should rule? Preposterous. To the gallows.

You can also replace gallows with guillotine, as was commonplace in some places.

I can't think of a worse time in humanity than the Middle Ages - savages took over Europe, science collapsed, closed mindedness became even more commonplace, autocracy rules the world(and the only democracy in Europe at the time was destroyed by its neighbors), people were deprived of basic knowlege, the black plaugue ruled. It was nothing close to idealism. At least the beginning of humanity has the excuse of not knowing knowledge in the first place. Here people willingly trashed it.
Jeff_vella_leone
well yea the middle ages where much brutall but if you where an artist they wouldnt have killed you but they considered art like a low level job like a black smith or even less
it was after in the renessance that the artist became the closest thing to god in the people's mind they even where feared by popes
medievalman26
Jeff_vella_leone wrote:
well yea the middle ages where much brutall but if you where an artist they wouldnt have killed you but they considered art like a low level job like a black smith or even less
it was after in the renessance that the artist became the closest thing to god in the people's mind they even where feared by popes

Uh...yeah they would kill an artist and just so you know a blacksmith was a very important job in that era and all the previous ones. Not really, during and after the Renaissance artists were not feared by anyone they were just admired or not like. They had no real political influence so I don't think that the Papacy or anyone really feared and not all of them were "the closest thing to God" only some painted things from the Judeo-Christian Bible.

Vrythramax wrote:
LOL..the MYTH of King Arthur and the knights of the round table was written by a prisoner who was held for 17 years because his king would not pay the ransom for his release. After the death of the king, his son paid the ransom to have him released. His story of a perfect king and honorable nights was a mere work of fiction....there is no proof existing that King Arthur, nor his knights ever existed. as for chivalry, didn't sir Lancelot sleep with the queen....hardly an act of honor.

You talk of chivarlry...the knights of that era subdued and subjected the serfs of the time imposing outlandish taxes so that they (the knights) could live in a life style to which they had become accustomed. Often time times using brutal methods.

Read your facts...this was not a glamorous nor romantic time....exactly the opposite, it was a brutal time.

The knights did not impose the taxes that would be the King or whoever was leading. The knights were essentially just the guys who followed orders, but I do agree that it was not a romantic or glamorous time. Some people view it as such because of the fictional stories that create that image but as I have pointed out before it was a time of short lives, wars, strife, constant religious wars fought in the name of God or Allah(basically whatever religion was observed), improved tactics, some advances in technology, and many other things both good and bad.
frozenhead
Well as for me, when I think of medieval age, I imagine peasants battling their lives in surviving and protecting their lands because at this times, feudalism is a very powerful form of governance. An era where you can cross a line between the wise/smart/intelligent from that of the ignorant/not educated/illiterate ones. The thing that was good in this era are stories of bravery, courage, romantic love thats a way of amusing and entertaining people at those times of oppression and brutality and leads to having cloudy or not clear thoughts of us present on this day what is the truth happened or just a simple stories, hearsays that pass around that time.