FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Piano.. or electric keyboard.

Srs2388
Hey everyone, I used to know how to read music and stuff for piano... but I can't remember anymore... I would like to learn it back and learn how to play a few more songs. Is there a website that I can go to (for free) and learn a little more?
Just enough so i can play a few songs... nothing major.
please and thank you.
pawelsz
I would recommend downloading trial of MidiNotate Composer and then going to http://www.midisite.co.uk where you can find lots of MIDI files. For me, the best way to learn back playing piano was getting some notes and trying to play them. After about one month, I can read the music notations in a good - for me - speed.

I recommend MidiNotate Composer because I am currently using this application and it makes a very good note sheets, but - if you want - you can use a free application instead of this.

If you completly don't remember anything about notes, download application called Anvil Studio, launch it, create new document and click on the "Compose" button. You will now have piano keys and a note sheet. As you click on the keys, the notes will appear, so you will be able to learn how to read the notes. Anvil Studio can draw note sheets from MIDI files too, but they aren't as good as the MidiNotate's ones.
saeleyjnr
Synthesiser is the answer.
Electro synth beats anything played on any standard keyboard or piano
Srs2388
hmm Thanks Smile I am going to just download all of it and do all I can to remember it.
emjawa
www.sheetmusicarchive.net

It's classical music.
deStructuralized
If you're looking to read off of standard sheet music I'd recommend formal music or piano training, just so you can get hands on direct instruction. A lot of people need guidance when it comes to things like theory, etc.

And above all, it takes a lot of practice to get used to the feel of the keys.
pudovkin
Fender Rhodes.
http://www.fenderrhodes.com/
(check also "The Supersite")

I've watched a jazz live performance last night that I've got shocked.
It was in a club house named "Loveland", in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
I don't recall the band name, but the eletric piano one of the musicians was using it was amazing. Sounds incredibly different. There was something about the bass; I believe he controlled on his foot.[/url]
jon724
An electric keyboard is definetly the answer if you are looking towards producing music. You have MIDI capabilitlies and this is a plus because using software such as GarageBand or Acid pro you can create a whole song with multiple instruments playing created by the keyboard. It is quite amazing. This is obviosly not for someone that is looking for the classic apeal of a upright or grand piano. The sound feel, and quality of these pianos cannot be duplicated exactly and that is what them unique to play on if playing songs in this style is your passion.
Fright Knight
oh, I thought it was a poll for piano or keyboard. try searching on search engines.
cloudship
Many of my friends spent tens of years playing with it, and I supposed that is really what cannot be picked up quickly according to a "cookbook" ;<

If I were you, I might turn to Guita Wink
tony
Srs2388 wrote:
Hey everyone, I used to know how to read music and stuff for piano... but I can't remember anymore... I would like to learn it back and learn how to play a few more songs. Is there a website that I can go to (for free) and learn a little more?
Just enough so i can play a few songs... nothing major.
please and thank you.

http://www.playpianotonight.com/ - maybe that will help a little.

best wishes - piano is fun!
Runthornet
Hello! i think they both have there place.. i like playing a piano when im trying to write some types of songs and i use synths to wirte electronic type stuff!! I use my guitar to write songs for the band im in (rock) and then i bash out on the drums to release pent upness and get some feeling giong Wink i dont think anyone thing is better than the other ( i do luv drumming tho hehe ) it all depends on what u want to do with it and where u can put it i guess Smile
The Mitchell
Synths>piano>keyboards.
rcqpugh
Piano is the only way to go. Piano's sound better, their action is more real, and its an acoustic instrument so its will probaly alot harder to cheat.
Andrew426
What you need is an Electric Organ.
You can pick up a good used one quite cheaply these days, and play all sorts of amazing things with them.
violetgnu
Also if you want to learn how to play an instrument, the best and cheapest way to learn is to hang out at band if you're in highschool, or the music building of your university, and pick out a friend who plays the piano and would be willing to teach you. Bwahaha.
Srs2388
Smile I have been playing guitar f or like 3 years though.
I looked at the sites they are awesome thanks for sharing.
BrAsKeA
I love pianos Very Happy
froginabox
You should go to the local music store and pick up a few beginner or "teach yourself" books just to get yourself back into the groove of things. After that you can get sheet music by borrowing or downloading (legally).
The Mitchell
rcqpugh wrote:
Piano is the only way to go. Piano's sound better, their action is more real, and its an acoustic instrument so its will probaly alot harder to cheat.

hmmm explain cheating please. how is it possible to cheat?
azbuky
Hi!

I don't really know a good site for you... I used to take piano lessons, you should try to go and have some classes, they should help you remember... Anyway, I would like to congratulate you for your choice, I think piano is the best musical instrument ever and it can't be replaced!

Bye!
Lennon
I think you should hear my story.

I started with a real cheap Yamaha Keyboard and learned the keys, sounds and symbols, to read and play music. That's the best place for a beginner to start.

Now that's I've become an advanced keyboard/piano player, I am looking for more professional equipment. I know it's worth my while buying a real piano now because I can make use of the real acoustic sound that can't be beating on keyboard. I'm only going for the piano now because I'm ready for it. Two paths. Classical or electronic. If you want to get into music recording later I'd suggest a proper Synthesizer with Midi and computer software.

But for now, just focus on the basics and the rest will follow later. I'd say cheap Keyboard.
Jaan
The Mitchell, I strongly disagree.
You can't beat an acoustic grand.
A nice website for sheet music is www.pianofiles.com they're all very simple, though you have to register, and read their FAQ.
The Mitchell
Jaan wrote:
The Mitchell, I strongly disagree.
You can't beat an acoustic grand.
A nice website for sheet music is www.pianofiles.com they're all very simple, though you have to register, and read their FAQ.

thats fine if you are wanting to sound like an acoustic grand then yeah you cant beat the original. but what if you want to play silly van halen synth solos or write some dirty dubstep basslines. suddenly i can't see the grand being so very useful anymore. For me the perfect rig would be a decent midi controller keyboard with unweighted keys and a single elctric piano with weighted keys. Weighted keys for controlling synthesisers is bad. it doesnt feel or play like a synth and so sounds and feels wrong to play. on the other hand an electric piano will have sounds of it own that are usually quite nice for gigging and will probably be able to be hooked up via midi to a pc for recording using something like elektrik piano by native instruments etc.
Srs2388
i like keyboards much better i played a piano at a music store.. i liked the tone a lot... but i played an electric keyboard (some van halen stuff) i like it for that type of stuff.. i would like to just buy both my my budget doesn't permit that lol.