FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Shell access + format?

Jaan
Do we have shell access? If so how do I access this?

And also, I think a very useful feature would be to have a "format" option in the control panel, say you want to remake your website, and you have too many files hidden away in directories. It would be alot faster than having to delete them with an ftp app, like i'm doing, and it's taking heaps long.

Well anyways I could be happier with Frihost but I'm still very lucky to have found this great service. Cheers guys.
Hogwarts
Jaan wrote:
Do we have shell access? If so how do I access this?

And also, I think a very useful feature would be to have a "format" option in the control panel, say you want to remake your website, and you have too many files hidden away in directories. It would be alot faster than having to delete them with an ftp app, like i'm doing, and it's taking heaps long.

Well anyways I could be happier with Frihost but I'm still very lucky to have found this great service. Cheers guys.

Format means delete everything on a drive.

Das ist nicht ein gut idee.
(That's not a good idea -.-)

Also, there are ways to get shell access with php... And why would you need it anyway? Script Kiddy, perhaps Shocked ?

And you can delete your entire site in Direct Admin... Just delete everything that wasn't there to begin with in the File Manager.
Jaan
*The file manager SUCKS!

How would I be able to do it in PHP?

It is because I'm always trying out new things, and they come in .zip or .tar.gz (ie WP, Joomla, phpbb, etc.). And it takes AGES to upload 1mb/300 files.

With shell access - upload .zip, and unzip! Presto presto voila.

And format is useful if you've been hacked, or just want to restart.
MrBlueSky
Jaan wrote:
*The file manager SUCKS!

How would I be able to do it in PHP?

It is because I'm always trying out new things, and they come in .zip or .tar.gz (ie WP, Joomla, phpbb, etc.). And it takes AGES to upload 1mb/300 files.

With shell access - upload .zip, and unzip! Presto presto voila.

And format is useful if you've been hacked, or just want to restart.

Either you don't understand format or the concept of virtual hosting.

But you will like this: http://legacy.gammacenter.com/gamma.py/products/WebShell
Hogwarts
Exactly.

Also, I don't think that the Redhat installation has the software to unzip .zips, but I'm not a Linux buff ;)

Another thing, you can upload .tar.gz's and extract them in Direct admin as it's Linux's own file storages.

(Yet) Another thing, putting something that gives shell access on your site is a security risk >_<
saratdear
I don't know if this is what you want, but simplyw00x has written a tutorial in the Tutorials section - [PHP] Faking Shell Access Through PHP This may help you. Wink
About the "format" option, I don't know a thing.
Animal
Yo don't get shell access to the server and you never will - this is far too great a security risk, and Bondings has stated this several times before.

As other users have pointed out, formatting the drive would mean taking out the entire hard disk of the server, so this won't happen. However, there are a few options for you:
Firstly, you could post a request in the Request an Account Change forum and one of the staff would happily reset your account for you.
Secondly, you could just log into the file manager, delete your public_html directory (the directory, not the shortcut), then re-create the folder. This should work provided there are no files / folders whose UID is Apache.
The third and final option is, I'm afraid, to continue deleting everything using FTP.
Jaan
Alright, cheers for the replies guys. I will figure out how to unzip .tar.gz from DirectAdmin then.
By formatting, I guess I should've put "resetting". I posted in the Account Change forum.
Thanks for the help.