FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

about ruby on rails

cloudship
hi all,

i recently get known to this language/framework, which claims to be able to make the development of data-dariven website much easier and user-friendly than ever before.

do you guys happen to be acquainted with it and can anyone give me some advice whether I should go for it and how can I start?

many thanks in advance.

I'm no programmer and only code for fun.
cloudship
cloudship wrote:
hi all,

i recently get known to this language/framework, which claims to be able to make the development of data-dariven website much easier and user-friendly than ever before.

do you guys happen to be acquainted with it and can anyone give me some advice whether I should go for it and how can I start?

many thanks in advance.

I'm no programmer and only code for fun.

moreover, could you please compare RoR with Perl language in the usage and popularity? That will be of great help.
MrBlueSky
Well, that's a difficult question. It all depends on what you want, and where your priorities are.

Let's start with just plain Ruby: do you know it? Do you like it? If so, stick with it. It's popularity is (still) growing, but it's hard to tell what will be left of it when the hype is over. Ruby isn't really difficult to learn, yet it is powerfull and will teach you some good object oriented programming.

And Perl... well... it's popularity among a large group of programmers will never vanish. It's a powerfull language, and allows you to develop and prototype scripts for every imagable task quickly. But, although easy to learn, it's hard to master, often hard to read and understand and it's 'many ways to do things'-philosophy is hated by a lot of programmers.

If your new at programming I will certanly not recommend starting with Perl. Then Ruby is a better way to go. On the other hand, if you know how to program Perl you have the most powerfull tool in your toolbox especially if your a system-administrator or systemprogrammer.

That's all I know to say about it know. If you have more specific questions on one of these languages, just ask them. I will be happy to answer them, if I can, or someone else will.

BTW, you state you program for fun. I personally find that both Perl and Ruby brought me back the fun in programming, compared to other languages. They are bought fun languages to program in. Something you can't say about, for example, C, Java, C# or Visual Basic.
cloudship
MrBlueSky wrote:
Well, that's a difficult question. It all depends on what you want, and where your priorities are.

Let's start with just plain Ruby: do you know it? Do you like it? If so, stick with it. It's popularity is (still) growing, but it's hard to tell what will be left of it when the hype is over. Ruby isn't really difficult to learn, yet it is powerfull and will teach you some good object oriented programming.

And Perl... well... it's popularity among a large group of programmers will never vanish. It's a powerfull language, and allows you to develop and prototype scripts for every imagable task quickly. But, although easy to learn, it's hard to master, often hard to read and understand and it's 'many ways to do things'-philosophy is hated by a lot of programmers.

If your new at programming I will certanly not recommend starting with Perl. Then Ruby is a better way to go. On the other hand, if you know how to program Perl you have the most powerfull tool in your toolbox especially if your a system-administrator or systemprogrammer.

That's all I know to say about it know. If you have more specific questions on one of these languages, just ask them. I will be happy to answer them, if I can, or someone else will.

BTW, you state you program for fun. I personally find that both Perl and Ruby brought me back the fun in programming, compared to other languages. They are bought fun languages to program in. Something you can't say about, for example, C, Java, C# or Visual Basic.

thx for elaborating those points.

I'm a beginner with Perl and happen to get known to RoR. I have no previous knowledge about Ruby, however now I found it is somehow related with the advantages of perl language.

what I want to learn is a language or a framework, with the help of which I could more easily than with other language realize my ideas about websites or other applications. Thus, i state that I'm no programmer but for fun.

So far, which language would you suggest me to pick up?

thx again for your help :>
MrBlueSky
cloudship wrote:
thx for elaborating those points.

I'm a beginner with Perl and happen to get known to RoR. I have no previous knowledge about Ruby, however now I found it is somehow related with the advantages of perl language.

what I want to learn is a language or a framework, with the help of which I could more easily than with other language realize my ideas about websites or other applications. Thus, i state that I'm no programmer but for fun.

So far, which language would you suggest me to pick up?

thx again for your help :>

I think when it comes to choosing a framework to use for making dynamic websites you should pick RoR. I have no experience with it, but what I have read about it sounded very positive. I want to start experimenting with it one day too.

The best way to start with Ruby itself is this (online) book: http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/html/index.html

Maybe someone else knows a good online resource for getting started with RoR.
rein
Recently i've dabbled in RoR too. There's not that many good tutorial resources available, because it's not that popular yet.
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/01/20/rails.html?page=1 is a good basic tutorial.
I recommend the one-click-install of instantruby. There's also a good video of how to make a blog in 15 minutes
Some site expand on that
Oh, there's also some free ruby hosting.
rein
So silly of me.. here i went and tried to group some userfull links when ofcourse the folks at rails have made a nice page with an overview of what's available out there.

Right on this page here
qebab
Yeah, I was just about to mention that. Smile

Rails is easy to get running and to configure. There's not support for it on Frihost yet though, is there?
MrBlueSky
qebab wrote:
Yeah, I was just about to mention that. Smile

Rails is easy to get running and to configure. There's not support for it on Frihost yet though, is there?

Maybe in the future: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-36262.html
Tex_Arcana
Today I just dredged up all the RoR stuff in the Ubuntu software repository. I'm looking forward to getting started.

I plan to first start on Ruby. Do a few tuts and get aquinted then go to ROR os thanks for the links Rein.

I've only dabbled in programming before. Things like JAVA and such so all the help is appreciated.