FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hide forums/categories

Marston
Sad I don't really like looking at the 100 forums on the main page, how about a little + or - symbol beside each forum name/category that would allow you to hide forums that you don't frequently visit?

It wouldn't even have to be Javascript.
saratdear
Now THAT'S a very good idea. Very Happy
I don't know how hard this is to code. (I suck at coding)
But I don't know, the redesigned Frihost is in the pipeline, and who knows, Bondings may have this planned too.
Bondings
I'm planning to make a feature (profile/account) where you can hide some categories.
mOrpheuS
Bondings wrote:
I'm planning to make a feature (profile/account) where you can hide some categories.

Maybe a simple, javascript based expand/collapse option would suffice. Confused
Scorpio
mOrpheuS wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Maybe a simple, javascript based expand/collapse option would suffice. Confused

Of course that would be better. We can simply click on the expand/collapse buttons. Having it in the profile or account area would mean additional work.
mOrpheuS
scorpio wrote:
Of course that would be better. We can simply click on the expand/collapse buttons. Having it in the profile or account area would mean additional work.

Having it in the profile fields has additional benefits, like your expand/collapse preferences being saved between logouts and logins
and preferences being saved across terminals and browsers etc.
Bondings
I don't think having to click on the expand/collapse buttons every time you load the index page is a good solution. If it is done on a account/profile page, you only need to do it when you want the order to be changed. And it takes less than a minute to select all the hide/show options next to the categories.
Scorpio
What I was referring to was this:

Could it be possible that when a user clicks on the collapse/expand buttons in the forum, the values are stored by php or something like that. This can be remembered later, I guess? Something like a live rating system, which stores the rated value.

I have not much idea about PHP but perhaps bondings could do it.
Bondings
scorpio wrote:

Could it be possible that when a user clicks on the collapse/expand buttons in the forum, the values are stored by php or something like that. This can be remembered later, I guess? Something like a live rating system, which stores the rated value.

Yes, that would be possible. I might add that too.
garionw
Bondings wrote:
scorpio wrote:

You could probably need a new row in the members field hide_show and store it like this:

0|1|0|1|0|1

1 means show, while 0 means hide, just explode that data and put it in an if statement when the page is being produced.

oh and BTW, Whats easiest for you Bondings, create the new frihost over the top of these ones or just piggyback the database?
Marston
Actually the profile idea seems a bit more robust, especially if you can re-order the forums yourself.
Higginz
nah i like the idea of the minimizing the categorys/forums
makes the full forum a bit tidier and nicer looking if you ask me
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:

And clicking the plus or minus link would update the user's profile to make it permanent (at least until they change it back).

Will there be expand/collapse buttons for every category and every forum or just the categories or just the forums?
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:
Bondings wrote:

And clicking the plus or minus link would update the user's profile to make it permanent (at least until they change it back).

Will there be expand/collapse buttons for every category and every forum or just the categories or just the forums?

Yes I mean permanent, normally only the categories and not all of them.
ocalhoun
^The individual forums couldn't have show/hide buttons?

There are 5 forums in lifestyle and news that I would hide, and 4 that I would show, not to mention hiding all the language forums except the Spanish forum.
Marston
What about just checkmarks- whatever forums are checked are shown, all the rest are hidden?
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:

There are 5 forums in lifestyle and news that I would hide, and 4 that I would show, not to mention hiding all the language forums except the Spanish forum.

Is that you in the picture? How cute! Very Happy

The lifestyle and news category will be split in several parts in several parts as it is getting too big. The language forums might also be split some day. The problem with hiding individual forums, it might add a lot of resource usage to the index page, and a lot of complexity to the system.

And besides, I'll change the forums so they'll take much less space and the hiding won't really be needed anymore.
garionw
Bondings wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

The lifestyle and news category will be split in several parts in several parts as it is getting too big. The language forums might also be split some day. The problem with hiding individual forums, it might add a lot of resource usage to the index page, and a lot of complexity to the system.

And besides, I'll change the forums so they'll take much less space and the hiding won't really be needed anymore.

An example of good forums are Whirlpool. Its an Australian site about broadband, and while the forums where custom built and made with Cold Fusion, they'd go great here
Bondings
garionw wrote:
An example of good forums are Whirlpool. Its an Australian site about broadband, and while the forums where custom built and made with Cold Fusion, they'd go great here

Believe it or not, but in the staff forums, that exact site was already mentioned. Very Happy

The difference is that instead of categories next to each other, I would like to have the forums next to each other.
Blaster
eww i don't like that.. i think that looks ugly. I like this way better. I would rather do something like ipb does. Theres is realy nice.
garionw
Bondings wrote:
Believe it or not, but in the staff forums, that exact site was already mentioned. Very Happy

The difference is that instead of categories next to each other, I would like to have the forums next to each other.

This doesn't really have anything todo with this topic, but more so this one and this one. When you go to create a new topic over in whirlpool, you can add a "group" to your topic. For example, theres the scripting forum and inside of that you could tag/group your message "PHP" "mysql" and a few others.

This tag would be visible along side your post and you can choose to filter them to only display a certain group. This could help reduce the amount of forums as you could group them, and have links to each of the groups on the forum homepage.
Marston
garionw wrote:
Bondings wrote:

This doesn't really have anything todo with this topic, but more so this one and this one. When you go to create a new topic over in whirlpool, you can add a "group" to your topic. For example, theres the scripting forum and inside of that you could tag/group your message "PHP" "mysql" and a few others.

This tag would be visible along side your post and you can choose to filter them to only display a certain group. This could help reduce the amount of forums as you could group them, and have links to each of the groups on the forum homepage.
... Why? What's the point of that?
garionw
Marston wrote:
... Why? What's the point of that?

To cut the number of forums down but increase them at the same time. For instance, the bolded text would be the forum, and the other one would be the "tags"

Web design: HTML, XML, PHP, mySQL
Languages: French, Spanish, German
Support: Frihost Support, Music Requests, Webhosting Support, Account Changes
Reading Material: Literature, Comics, Anime
[Title Goes Here]: Movies, Music, Television, DVD's
Operating Systems: Windows, Mac, Linux, BSD

It kinda of condenses but expand the forums if you get what I mean

Edit: It would make the creation of new forums easy too, Bonding's would just create a tag, and the popular tags can eventually get their own forums
mathiaus
The tags could be used sort of like subforums. You could view all topics within a forum or just topics beginning with [music request] for example. By using a filter, users could have the effect of subforums without actually having them.

There is actually a seperate forum for HTML, CSS and PHP, MySQL already Wink
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:

Nope, just my current mood.
Blaster
I could see that being you Very Happy

see i don't think that bondings wants sub domains or that would make the forums a lot smaller also. Sub domains can be a paint but at the same time can be very nice.