FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Woman Must Remove 'Messages From God'

glenn83e
Quote:
SAN MATEO, Calif. - A woman who has covered her roof and property with painted slogans she calls messages from God has been ordered to remove them or face possible fines or jail time.

The San Mateo City Council unanimously ruled last week that Estrella Benavides' writings violate city codes regulating the size of signs. The writings allege vast government conspiracies, among other warnings.

Benavides, 47, who also broadcasts the messages from a loudspeaker on her car's roof, has said the messages come to her from God through a statue at her church and from the Bible.

She claims the city's ruling violates her free speech rights.

"They're telling me based on the San Mateo sign code that I'm violating the law," Benavides said. "I'm telling them based on the U.S. Constitution that their sign code violates the law."

The council ruling orders Benavides to remove the slogans or face fines of $50 a day starting late next month. If she refuses to remove them or pay the fines, the city will sue her or file criminal charges, City Attorney Shawn Mason said.

Comcast.net Strange News

is this realy violating the law in anyway? Sure a lot of places have laws and rules for such things but this is also a freedom of speach.

Then again there is also the fact that she is driving her beliefs down everyone elses throats and that could also be annoying to some. I guess it all depends on how you really look at the situation.
suntzu3500
Why doesn't God tell someone who can actually do something about it then?

Freedom of speech doesn't mean I can construct a 40 foot tall sign and hang it on a new york skyscraper that says the f-word.
HoboPelican
Well, these days, there are many rules and regulations about what you can and cannot do to your house and property. I've lived in communities where you couldn't have a satellite dish in your yard, any fence had to be a certain type, sheds were not allowed, grass had to be mowed to certain lengths, etc. The purpose of the laws were to keep value up, not to restricted free speech or artistic expression.

Is stopping her from those actions restricting free speech? I don't think so. There are more effective and less obtrusive ways of expressing yourself than creating an eyesore or making a nuisance with loudspeakers.
Arnie
Quote:
There are more effective and less obtrusive ways of expressing yourself than creating an eyesore or making a nuisance with loudspeakers.
Though you have to admit she was quite succesful since we even heard about it on Frihost Mr. Green
rheanna
Thank gawd they put to stop to that sh*T, I'd get my gun and shoot her.

Quote:
Benavides, 47, who also broadcasts the messages from a loudspeaker on her car's roof, has said the messages come to her from God through a statue at her church and from the Bible.

WTF wants to listen to that rambling speech all day through their neighborhood. Sure and h*ll, not me.

GO!! San Mateo City Council !!! Her punishment was not severe enough. Too bad they didn't make a martyr out her.
Twisted Evil
rein
suntzu3500 wrote:
Why doesn't God tell someone who can actually do something about it then?

Freedom of speech doesn't mean I can construct a 40 foot tall sign and hang it on a new york skyscraper that says the f-word.

You're forgetting all about the 'mysterious ways'-clause there. Very Happy
HoboPelican
Arnie wrote:
.Though you have to admit she was quite succesful since we even heard about it on Frihost Mr. Green

LOL...Did we? We heard she was posting messages she got from God. Which God? What was the message? I think she got her 15 minutes of fame, but she did not in any way get her message across. Laughing
missdixy
It's her property, she should be able to do what she wants with it. At least, she should be able to write whatever the hell she wants on her buildings.
Jinx
As missdixie points out, it's her property. Even if I had to grit my teeth and stifle a scream every time I walked past her house, I would defend her right to do as she wished with her own property. I have more problems with the fact that she rides around broadcasting from a PA on her car. You can't get away from that by closing your blinds. If she wanted to shout it from a street corner, fine, but once one starts using loudspeakers one crosses the nuisance line pretty quickly.
HoboPelican
missdixy wrote:
It's her property, she should be able to do what she wants with it. At least, she should be able to write whatever the hell she wants on her buildings.

I tend to agree with you about property rights, but would you care if what your neighbor did made it impossible to sell you own home? You've got $300,000 invested in your home and your neighbor has installed chicken coops, doesn't EVER mow his yard, has 3 trucks on blocks in his front yard and 15 dogs that bark all night. You have to move suddenly, but no one will give you a dime for you home. Do you still feel the same?

Admittedly, that is an extreme case (although similar to situations I saw when house hunting), but property values are affected by neighbors. I think there needs to be some consideration for how your actions affect others.
iNs@nE
Yes, you are right about the property rights but the article states that most of the paints she put up are regarding government conspiracies.

When it comes down to that, the government has every right to deal with it as she pulled them in by making statements that are controversial and maybe not proved or unsolved.
HoboPelican
iNs@nE wrote:
When it comes down to that, the government has every right to deal with it as she pulled them in by making statements that are controversial and maybe not proved or unsolved.

Hmm, I'm not sure if that is true in the US. We sorta have a thing about being able to complain about our government. Freedom of speech and all that. You can be sued for slander and libel of an individual here... maybe even a group...but I don't think there is any restriction on insulting the government.
For example, my stating that Bush is an illiterate buffoon would maybe get me into an argument, but not thrown in jail.