FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lightscribe Drive

Tony The Tiger
I am using my new HP Pavillion dv9000t with Windows Vista Home Premium edition. I am attempting to use my Lightscribe CD/DVD drive to print a 640 x 480 vid cap .jpg file and a title onto a CD using Roxio Express Labeller version 3.1.1.12 (pre installed software). It takes over 22 minutes to print the file to the CD with my hardware/software setup. Is this normal or is my machine slow?
marrs
Umm dunno..
I looked into this lightscribe technology a while back and I found out that full images could take nearly thirty minutes to burn the image,that alone put me right off the idea.
But apart from the slow speed and if you don't have to do batch I suppose its a nice birthday gift for someone.

How are you getting alone with it,well of course the speed is always gonna be the problem....I don't think the newest firmware/drivers will help,its the speed of the lightscribe will always stay the same...
falconfx
Hi,

I own a TSST DVD+-RW Writer which supports the Lightscribe technology.

I didn't burn many LS labels since LS-DVDs are quite rare to find Evil or Very Mad , but I can tell you that, if you had selected normal or even best quality, your time isn't much unusual.

So don't worry: it's normal. The LS technology gives good result but also needs some time.

Bye
FunDa
Is the Lightscribe thing worth the cost ??? Or is it better to stick a sticker onto the cd ?
How safe is a sticker on a cd ? Can it cause the cd to unbalance and cause problems to the drive ????
Any incidents of CDs breaking apart in the drive due to a sticker ?
psycosquirrel
I haven't ever had problems with stickers on CDs, just center it properly and it will not be a problem. The only time CDs really break in drives is if they are bent or have huge, obvious cracks in them.

I have had three Lightscribe drives in my systems so far and never used the feature... A sharpie is usually enough labelling for me Razz
marrs
FunDa wrote:
Is the Lightscribe thing worth the cost ??? Or is it better to stick a sticker onto the cd ?
How safe is a sticker on a cd ? Can it cause the cd to unbalance and cause problems to the drive ????
Any incidents of CDs breaking apart in the drive due to a sticker ?

A very good question and worth really Moving to a new post,
BUT I am no moderator,YET so I cant do that...But to answer your question:

I have had problems with stickers in the past when I first started to experiment with them,making my own from envolope stickers,it was a mistakes as a few of them started to unpeal once they were applyed to the cd.Now when I need to apply a sticker I use after burner it comes with a very good tool which helps you center your labels.I have been using it for a few years now and I have had no problems yet

http://www.after-burner.co.uk/
asianwannabe999
I have a lightscribe drive and for me it takes about 15 or 16 minutes. The technology's new and we're only using the earliest versions of the hardware. I'm sure in the future the times will decrease. Also, I read that they are planning to create a color lightscribe drive.
Bones
psycosquirrel wrote:
I haven't ever had problems with stickers on CDs, just center it properly and it will not be a problem. The only time CDs really break in drives is if they are bent or have huge, obvious cracks in them.

I have had three Lightscribe drives in my systems so far and never used the feature... A sharpie is usually enough labelling for me Razz

Stickers on disks are a really bad idea. Every disk I have seen shatter in a drive had sticker labels on them. (a total of 3 which had no obvious defects although they werent examined closely either)

And yes if it is even very slightly off center it will be harder on the drive.
psycosquirrel
I used to work at the Research Institute here at Georgia Tech. ALL CDs that were made for as long as I know of before mid-summer were made with labels. We have not had one failed CD that I know of.

It all depends on how good the label, CD, and alignment of the label is done. If you have a really low-end, weak CD with an off-center label that ends up being used a lot, it is quite possible that it could break in a drive.
marrs
The discs are too expensive, and the process is VERY slow 30-minutes to burn a full image.
Has anything or will there be anything to superseed the Lightscribe technology or has it just been forgotten about due to the release of H/D dvds??
Tony The Tiger
asianwannabe999 wrote:
I have a lightscribe drive and for me it takes about 15 or 16 minutes.

What software type are you using? What level of detail are you using? The speed depends on the level of detail for certain and possibly the software type from what I understand
Tony The Tiger
marrs wrote:
The discs are too expensive, and the process is VERY slow 30-minutes to burn a full image.
Has anything or will there be anything to superseed the Lightscribe technology or has it just been forgotten about due to the release of H/D dvds??

What do H/D DVDs have to do with lightscribe. Lightscribe will surely be faster and higher quality in the future.
psycosquirrel
I think he is saying that Lightscribe will become obsolete once there is something similar to Lightscribe on HDDVD media. Which makes no sense. Or perhaps he is confused and thinks Lightscribe is a format competing with HDDVD?

Either way, Lightscribe is inefficient and much less ideal of an option than just buying a CD printer and printing directly on CDs.
FunDa
Final Word : LightScribe is absolutely useless and expensive !!!

Full colour CD/DVD cover printers should be integrated into the latest DVD writers (or just into the printers.

Anyway printers and now not just printers - they are all in ones with printer, scanner, copier, fax and what not - just an additional attachment for printing on CDs would not be much more difficult

The technology is there - just the people have to demand it for the supply to take notice.
Tony The Tiger
Yes, I should add that lightscribe will be faster, cheaper and it will also likely be in color in the future if the laws of the natural competitive business forces work as the should. Clearly, lightscribe is trying to compete with something that allows color printing. It will have to work toward that end to be competitive and to survive it will have to become cheaper and faster.