FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cat at Denver Zoo:(

wolf_wonders
I forgot what kind, but it was a big cat, and it atacked someone:( They put it to sleep when the lady it attacked died. I think that was unfair:( The zoo keeper was being really careless.

Wolf_Wonders
Bannik
the reason they put it to sleep is because most likely he had the taste for human flesh, he may see humans as prey so handling it will be more dangerous for the zoo keepers, realising it will be even more dangerous for everyone else
Kelvin
Think I saw this on the news last week. If I'm not mistaken, it was a leopard. If an animal kills a human, it is put to sleep or shot dead. If a human kills one.... ??

Yes it has tasted human blood. But maybe they could have release it back to the wild. At least it is given a 2nd chance.... we are however not very forgiving by nature. Sad
Bannik
Kelvin wrote:
Think I saw this on the news last week. If I'm not mistaken, it was a leopard. If an animal kills a human, it is put to sleep or shot dead. If a human kills one.... ??

Yes it has tasted human blood. But maybe they could have release it back to the wild. At least it is given a 2nd chance.... we are however not very forgiving by nature. Sad

think about it, he has tasted human flesh, humans are now prey....what part of the world will you release it cause if its near a human settlement then it sure as hell will go for the kill....... they do this to all animals....even sharks....its to keep them from thinking we are prey....
wolf_wonders
I get what both of you are saying. I'm sure if we thought hard enough we could find a way to help them. Sad
HoboPelican
Quote:
DENVER (AP) -- A zookeeper died Saturday after a 140-pound jaguar mauled her in its enclosure, and the big cat was fatally shot when it approached emergency workers treating the injured woman, the zoo said. The zookeeper, whose name was not immediately released, was taken to Denver General Hospital, where she died, police spokesman Sonny Jackson said.

The park closed after the shooting and it wasn't immediately known whether it would reopen Sunday, spokeswoman Amy Sarno said. "Obviously, everyone is very upset," she said.

Zoo officials did not know how the mauling occurred or what led up to the incident, Sarno said.

The jaguar, a 6-year-old male named Jorge, was shot by a zoo employee and the public was never at risk, the zoo said. The big cat had been at the zoo for nearly two years.

Sounds like a number of mistakes were made by the zoo and the cat had to pay the price. If this whole idea of "developing a taste for human blood" is true, why wasn't the cat tranked before the rescue workers entered? Why was the keeper in the cage alone with the cat? Anytime I have ever seen zookeepers worker with a dangerous animal, there are at least two working together. (I am assuming she was alone since the zoo didn't know how it happened).

btw- Zoos are not Vegas shows. Is there any reason for a keeper to actually be in the cage with the cat?
Daisie
Very strange indeed Hobo, in all the documentaries that I have seen on the daily life of Zoo, they alway lock up the beasties (by a system of corridors and doors) before going in and if they need some medicals treatments, they are put to sleep first...

She got careless and both paid an heavy price...
akshar
Quote:
It appears that i had seen this on BBC news.It showed careless nature of zoo coordinators because as far i know a cat(leapord)will never touch a human(meat)if it is kept with meetings its day to day neds of taste of meat.
But it always happens in many zoos.
.ZR.
I don't think animals can get accustomed to the taste of human blood. It's the same as any other. Just because an animal attacks a person doesn't mean it'll look at people as prey. Sharks, for example, rarely actually eat the people they attack because it's generally just mistaken identity. When the people fight back it probably brings up some instinct that makes the shark hold on instead of let go. Or.. something.

But big cats can kill and eat people. There's tigers in the wild that do just that. Animals in captivity.. I doubt they'd grow to think of people as food. We have to remember that they are used to dead meals, even if they do still have their instinct to hunt.

I don't know, though. It seems like everyone made mistakes. The cat shouldn't have had to pay with it's life, but that's the we are. If we see a threat we kill it. It's the way we survive as a species.

I saw on the news something about 'it wasn't even feeding time, so they don't know why the keeper was in the cage'. I don't know where they got that information from, though. I know I wouldn't want to be in the cage with a hungry cat during feeding time.

/Ramble helpless o.o'