FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Trouble booting Ubuntu

Porcelain Trainwreck
I can't seem to boot Ubuntu from the CD. It goes through all the checkups and seems to be almost ready to go, but then something about a graphics error flashes up and is gone just as fast, replaced with a dos like interface. My computer is 5 years old and runs XP, so it should be able to run Ubuntu, right? I have an nvidia geforce 5200 graphics card. This is the first time I have tried linux, and I'd quite like to get it to run.
{name here}
Porcelain Trainwreck wrote:
I can't seem to boot Ubuntu from the CD. It goes through all the checkups and seems to be almost ready to go, but then something about a graphics error flashes up and is gone just as fast, replaced with a dos like interface. My computer is 5 years old and runs XP, so it should be able to run Ubuntu, right? I have an nvidia geforce 5200 graphics card. This is the first time I have tried linux, and I'd quite like to get it to run.

1) Are you sure you got the right CD for your architecture?
2) Did you check and see if your hardware is compatible with Ubuntu?
You might need to use an older version of Ubuntu, or another Unix-like OS that supports hardware from that era, like FreeBSD, which I had a good amount of success with on a computer in that era after I read the manual.