FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nasa discovers a tenth planet???

damj
A tenth planet?!?

That would take some getting used to ...

Quote:
Planet X
Literally Planet X, especially if you use Roman numerals. NASA scientists have discovered a 10th planet in our solar system. The planet, larger than Pluto, was discovered using the Samuel Oschin Telescope at Palomar Observatory near San Diego, Calif. The discovery was announced today by planetary scientist Dr. Mike Brown of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, Calif., whose research is partly funded by NASA.

While this object has many similarities to others in the Kuiper belt, its sheer size in relation to the nine known planets means that it can only be classified as a planet, according to Dr. Brown. Currently about 97 times

further from the sun than the Earth, the planet is the farthest-known object in the solar system, and the third brightest of the Kuiper belt objects.

"It will be visible with a telescope over the next six months and is currently almost directly overhead in the early-morning eastern sky, in the constellation Cetus," said Brown, who made the discovery with colleagues

Chad Trujillo, of the Gemini Observatory in Mauna Kea, Hawaii, and David

Rabinowitz, of Yale University, New Haven, Conn., on January 8.

Catalogued as 2003UB313, it was first photographed with the 48-inch Samuel Oschin Telescope on October 31, 2003 by Brown, Trujillo and Rabinowitz.

At that time the object was so far away that its motion was not detected

until they reanalyzed the data in January of this year. In the last seven months, the scientists have been studying the planet to better estimate its size and its motions. "It's definitely bigger than Pluto," said Brown, who is a professor of planetary astronomy.

Scientists are able to estimate the size of a solar system object by its

brightness, just as one can infer the size of a faraway light bulb if one knows its wattage. The reflectance of this planet is not yet known. Scientists can not yet tell how much light from the sun is reflected away, but the amount of light the planet reflects puts a lower limit on its size.

"Even if it reflected 100 percent of the light reaching it, it would still be as big as Pluto," says Brown. "I'd say it's probably one and a half times the size of Pluto, but we're not sure yet of the final size.

"We are 100 percent confident that this is the first object bigger than Pluto ever found in the outer solar system," Brown added.

The size of the planet is limited by observations using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope, which has already proved its mettle in studying the heat of dim, faint, faraway objects such as the Kuiper-belt bodies. Because Spitzer is unable to detect the new planet, the overall diameter must be less than 2,000 miles, said Brown.

A name for the new planet has been proposed by the discoverers to the International Astronomical Union, and they are awaiting the decision of this body before announcing the name.
knox
Damn, they just keep finding these things i am not one of those "UFO" people who say aliens have visited us and given us anal probes and all that. But i do think there has to be more then just humans in the universe with all these planets.
damj
They keep finding planets in other solar systems, but this one is interesting on 2 counts:

1. It's in our solar system
2. It's similiar to Pluto, but by most definitions, neither truly is a planet.

On the UFO thread, I agree. Do you realize that statistically speaking, we don't exist. Since the universe is infinite, and there is a fiite number of planets with life, hen any number divided by infinity is zero. Therefore, this is all a figment of my imagination.
charliehk
I had think about these things in terms of statistics. But now I have changed my way of thinking. Are all matters controlled by statistics, logic and physics, etc? How about the situation before the universe is born? Does it follows the statistics, logic and physics? The knowledge might be useless.

Also, 9 or 10 Planets is none of my business, I guess it won't change our lives, except that textbooks have to be changed and students have to pay more to get an updated textbook with almost no difference at all (except the '9' becomes a '10').

Comparing with the great discovery, the moon affects us a lot more than we think, including tides, and maybe our emotions... maybe I am affected by the moon right now... Rolling Eyes
drunkfun
Need Another Seven Astronauts
LostOverThere
Wouldn't it be funny if it was actually Pluto.
I actually doubt that is a planet, so far out there and near the Kuiper belt.
NiGHTS SoNIC
Thats interesting. I wonder what will happen next, they keep finding things in space...

Why not improve things on earth before we explore space...?
budazz
just to say something about the planet i think we're the only organism live in whole wide universe Cool
tidruG
Now, they're inviting people to send them ideas on what to name it... lol. But honestly, there's gotta be more life out there... the universe is infinite, no?

Anyway, like damj said, we are 0% of the universe... so, hello all you figments of imagination.