FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux screeen resolution problem

rekluzz
I recently installed Ubuntu to test run on my system. In the process of getting everything set up, I tried tweaking the graphics settings.
My ubuntu start up recognized my ATI Radeon 9600 card but only allowed resolution setting up to 1024 x 768. Under windows I can get my settings up to 1280x1024.
How can I make Linux change my graphics settings so that I can get screen resolutions higher than 1024x768? I'm a new linux user, so simple answers will probably work best!
Nyizsa
First, you need to boot in console only. (There should be a Recovery mode entry in your boot menu.)
Download and install the appropriate drivers for your graphics card from ATI's website. Then get your monitor's documentation and note the horizontal and vertical refresh rates. (Two pairs of numbers, like 30-88 and 50-140.) Then issue the following command as root:
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Answer the questions. You can accept all the defaults your system uses already, except when it comes to display. Choose the Advanced option, and when prompted, specify the refresh rates.
Now you can restart X. You may also reboot, this time with the normal boot option, whichever method you prefer. This time the resolution should be all right. Reboot is simply done by issuing
Code:
reboot

I hope it helped.
redice
In file /etc/X11/xorg.conf modify the following lines:

Code:
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600"
    EndSubSection

for example, change to 1280x1024:

Code: