FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Grub Problem!

shwetanshu
Well today i installed Suse 10.2 and Ubuntu 6.10... everything worked fine.. but i hated Ubuntu's text based Grub, so switched to Suse's grub... saw double entries there and deleted some... as a result i tweaked too much and i couldnt boot into Suse or Ubuntu... but somehow i didn something and was able to boot into Suse..

the for ubuntu i ate my friend's brain... who gave me this:
Quote:
title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic root (hd0,0) kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic quiet savedefault boot
i wrote all this in grub add option and ubuntu came on grub screen.. but if i select it i get some... error.. so i slect to edit it... i then further selected to edit first line.. which is something like:
Quote:
hda(1,Cool
i replaced the 8 in the above thing with 10 and then i was successfully able to boot into ubuntu... but i have to do this everytime... how can i fix my grub menu?? pls reply fast!!

HOPE U UNDERSTOOD WAT I WROTE
myrevolt
I don't understand what you meant about eating your friend's brain Confused

Also because you didn't specify where your boot partition is, its a little confusing.

Basically assuming you your grub config is on your Ubuntu partition issue
Code:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

and modify your menu that way.

Now then it should be located in a similiar place within Suse, but you may wish to post a thread on their forum.

If you could post the entire contents of your grub.conf (or menu.lst) that would be helpful.
theswolf
You have to use grubinstall from the distro you want to use grub...
desertwind
The best way is to boot with suse cd (or dvd), select rescue mode and install grub over again.

If you want to edit it manually, u've to edit /boot/menu.lst or /boot/grub/menu.lst
shwetanshu
thnx riyaz.. i did it and had to edit menu.lst manually

but command
Quote:
sudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
didnt work for me... said cant connect to X Server.. then seacrhed the net and found that i cud use
Quote:
su -
kate /boot/grub/menu.lst

and then it workd all fine... thnx for helping guyz
sush
Why would you use TWO linux distros Question
shenyl
Good to see the technical advice on the boot loader.

I will still feel it is easier to use SUSE CD1 to boot and then go into System Admin, System, then Boot Loader to edit the boot menu.

Good technical reference, thanks.
shwetanshu
sush wrote:
Why would you use TWO linux distros Question

wanted to use both KDE and Gnome... hehehe

but nowi have removed Ubuntu and now i m using OpenSuse and WIndows XP Home Edition
corey
Why not download Gnome for Suse. You don't have to change distros to change desktops. The only choice you'll have to make is to use KDM or GDM. I've had KDE, Gnome, Windowmaker, IceWM, Blackbox, Fluxbox, 9WM, XFCE, Waimea, Afterstep, and UDE installed at the same time. I just chose which desktop I wanted to use. That was a bit extreme, though.
Chrisjs
Boot into either one by changing (hd0,Cool or whatever to (hd0,10) -- my menu file says (hd0,*) not hda(1,*)

Once you boot into SuSE or Ubuntu, go to a terminal and type sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst (or whatever your favorite text editor is, as long as you use root) and change the partition number from 8 to 10