FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Front Panel Hookup Problems

coreymanshack
I have a tower with front panel record and audio out jacks, I hook them up like they always used to hook up, but I have an extra cable called "mic bias" and I was wondering if anyone knew wich pin this cable went on. I also seem to have lost my front channel audio in the back after hooking the pins up, what did I do wrong here?
FunDa
Same here.

I tried hooking up the front panel jacks, but then only those work. The back panel just doesn't work. Anybody know if it is supposed to be like this or can both front and back panel audio jacks work at the same time ???
asianwannabe999
Sometimes the problem can be the type of audio hardware you are hooking up. For example, Creative's X-fi series sound cards are based on HD codecs while many front audio pieces use the AC97 codecs instead. Make sure your hardware is compatible. I learned the hard way after finding out my HP Pavilion's front audio was AC97 while my Fatal1ty card was HD.
Bones
FunDa wrote:
Same here.

I tried hooking up the front panel jacks, but then only those work. The back panel just doesn't work. Anybody know if it is supposed to be like this or can both front and back panel audio jacks work at the same time ???

Check your motherboard manual. This is indeed the case with some boards. With mine I can have them both hooked up, but can only use one at a time. (ie if I have speakers plugged into the front panel, then no audio will come out of the back ports)
coreymanshack
asianwannabe999 wrote:
Sometimes the problem can be the type of audio hardware you are hooking up. For example, Creative's X-fi series sound cards are based on HD codecs while many front audio pieces use the AC97 codecs instead. Make sure your hardware is compatible. I learned the hard way after finding out my HP Pavilion's front audio was AC97 while my Fatal1ty card was HD.

mine are both ac97 and i still dont know where to hook this mic bias
psycosquirrel
When I have trouble with the front panel audio, I just do trial and error while audio is outputting on the computer. Be very careful not to stick your finger in a fan, or short anything, or anything of that sort.
FunDa
Bones wrote:
FunDa wrote:
Same here.

Check your motherboard manual. This is indeed the case with some boards. With mine I can have them both hooked up, but can only use one at a time. (ie if I have speakers plugged into the front panel, then no audio will come out of the back ports)

Sad My motherboard doesn't support that it seems ...
When I hook up the pins to the front panel, the motherboard audio jacks get automaticaaly disabled ... There's a story behind why I had to activate the front panel anyway ... Laughing The audio pin broke and got stuck in the jack. This is how I got it out : http://johndasfundas.blogspot.com/2006/04/case-of-broken-pin-in-jack.html

Had a hard time getting it out ...

Evil or Very Mad
coreymanshack
psycosquirrel wrote:
When I have trouble with the front panel audio, I just do trial and error while audio is outputting on the computer. Be very careful not to stick your finger in a fan, or short anything, or anything of that sort.

I've trialed and errored and trailed and errored. That's why I came here, I just can't figure it out... lol.