FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Webcam

pluto
Hello. I would like to set up my webcam so other can see me (i.e. friends & family). It would be great if I could do this for free, and I'm looking for a program that is LITE - something that does not install all kinds of additional software and junk when installed. Finally, an added bonus would be the ability to allow and restrict who can see what's being broadcast.

I do have a personal web site, and considered embedding the video from the webcam in my site, but I'm a newbie when it comes to programming.

Any advice, or recommendations of software is much appreciated.
turbowolf
Which operating system you use webcam in? As I know, most of the webcams need to install some drivers. Furthermore, few free driver can meet our need.
sush
First of all, two people need software - you need it to broadcast and others need it to view. If you use a lightweight thing like wpub (google for it) then you'll have to embed it into your site for viewing. Otherwise, get something like a messenger (Yahoo or MSN) or get CuSeeMe.

If you know basic HTML the easiest thing would be to use wpub. Create an HTML page and put it up, use an IMG element inside to show an image. Put in the URL of the image (e.g. /images/fobar.jpg) and then use wpub to capture snaps from your webcam every second or so. What wpub can then do is upload captured images repeatedly via FTP and save it with the same filename, thus replacing the file everytime. Whenever the viewer refreshes your HTML page, the IMG in it will have changed. Then you can consider setting the page to refresh automatically every second. (META tag)
otiscom
I use Webcam 2000.
Then make a web page to display it in.
PseudoKnight
http://www.stickam.com

It's perfect for what you need. You can use it without installing software. Your family can see it without installing software. (besides flash of course) You can save video, pictures, etc. You can even embed it on your website in various formats.
pluto
Thanks to all who replied. I think I'm going to try webcam 2000 and see how it works.