FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FriHost Forum crashes...

Captain Fertile
Is some kind of maintenance going on with the forum?

On three occasions in the last week I have been typing one of my lengthy posts, then pressed submit and… …nothing.

The forum and my post disappeared. The forum is then unavailable for a matter of minutes (on the last occasions) but a couple of hours on the first occasion?

Plus my post disappears for ever and has to be retyped (unless I save it in word before pressing submit).

I have had a couple of issues with my PC but this seems to be on the FriHost forum server side.

If there is maintenance going on maybe set times and/or warnings before hand would be possible (in an ideal world).

If these problems are on my side then ignore me and I will shut my mouth. Smile
saratdear
I suppose this is going to be a stupid question, but what browser do you use? And, when you mean forum becomes unavailable, what do you mean? What error pages do you get, if any?
MrBlueSky
Captain Fertile wrote:

Plus my post disappears for ever and has to be retyped (unless I save it in word before pressing submit).

When you use IE you can push the back-button, and your post is still there. Personally, when I typed a long post I press Crtl-A (select all) and Crtl-C (copy). When the post gets lost I can paste it somewhere else (again in the reply form, or in an text-editor).

Quote:

If these problems are on my side then ignore me and I will shut my mouth. Smile

I have the same problems (not very often, though)

saratdear wrote:
I suppose this is going to be a stupid question, but what browser do you use? And, when you mean forum becomes unavailable, what do you mean? What error pages do you get, if any?

"Unable to connect to database" or something like that, or a 404.
Captain Fertile
It is the 404 error I get. All other websites work fine but this forum refuses to play.

I use IE7 and yes you are right, I guess I could try the back button next time.
Scorpio
The best way would of course be to select all and copy as said above. It ll remain in the clipboard till you copy or cut something else.

Actually, I have never got a 404 error. But when I click on submit sometimes, I get a timeout error.

I do get 404 errors, but that is when I click on the link to "go the last post" image at the end of each forum.
Animal
MrBlueSky wrote:
Captain Fertile wrote:

When you use IE you can push the back-button, and your post is still there.

This also works in Firefox.
Bondings
I don't remember getting a 404 error on Frihost forums during the last few months, but I use Firefox so it might be different. As I have no idea what could be the problem, I don't really have a solution apart from trying to use the back button.

Oh wait, maybe it's when I backup/dump the forum database. During the backup the whole forums simply time out. However, this only takes a few minutes and isn't done very often.
Captain Fertile
If you did your last dump at around 2pm (GMT) today that is it otherwise it may just be my connection having a brain-fart (weird as other websites work fine).

I hope its not too personal to ask when you last had a dump, you know what I mean. Embarassed

Also, when it happened last week it was for a number of hours, everything else on the net worked except FriHost.

As I say I have had issues with my broadband modem this week (had to install it again).
Bondings
I think I restarted the server at that time, but that caused maybe 2-3 minutes of downtime and not more.

The downtime of a number of hours was either a network problem between you and the server or the server was down (but I don't remember it).