FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fact or Fashion?

Captain Fertile
Is this soty fact or a mixture of fiction and (if you check out the photos) Photoshop???

http://english.pravda.ru/society/showbiz/15-02-2007/87440-anorexia_model-0

This news comes from the Pravda website - is the a reliable source or more like the National Enquirer and the kind?

The sotry seems feasible but the pictures make me wonder.

No point me commenting on it until we are ahppy it is reliable.

Let me know what you think.

Don't forget to check out the pictures.
DocWonton
ive heard of these contests O_O apparently, u skinnier u are, the prettier u are. >_>

i think that if they want to starve themselves to death AND are unwilling to change their habits, go ahead, but they just have to know that its their own responsibility.
Montressor
I had no clue what Pravada was, but given the top stories;
Pravada wrote:
Russian fishermen catch squeaking alien and eat it (pic, video)
Pravada wrote:
Two-headed girl leads two-headed life
Pravada wrote:
Shocking confessions of raped soldiers
Pravada wrote:
US Navy trains suicidal dolphins to combat terrorism
Pravada wrote:
Man pretends to be sexy girl to win beauty contest (photos)
Pravada wrote:
Britney Spears: Will she end up like Anna Nicole Smith?

...and the date of its establishment in the online news community (January of 99) and the quality of its website design...
I'm inclined to believe that it isn't the highest quality news source, but I may very well be mistaken.

The story itself doesn't seem to far-fetched, and most of the pictures appear to not be visibly altered at least as far as I can tell (although many are too low quality to be able to make that distinction).
Captain Fertile
Montressor wrote:
I had no clue what Pravada was, but given the top stories;
Pravada wrote:
Russian fishermen catch squeaking alien and eat it (pic, video)
Pravada wrote:
Two-headed girl leads two-headed life
Pravada wrote:
Shocking confessions of raped soldiers
Pravada wrote:
US Navy trains suicidal dolphins to combat terrorism
Pravada wrote:
Man pretends to be sexy girl to win beauty contest (photos)
Pravada wrote:
Britney Spears: Will she end up like Anna Nicole Smith?

...and the date of its establishment in the online news community (January of 99) and the quality of its website design...
I'm inclined to believe that it isn't the highest quality news source, but I may very well be mistaken.

The story itself doesn't seem to far-fetched, and most of the pictures appear to not be visibly altered at least as far as I can tell (although many are too low quality to be able to make that distinction).

While I agree Praavda is hardly the Times when it some to qulaity of reporting I do know that I have seeen a lot of stories on there to be true and they are sensational. It was just the pictures - the looked so unreal, and it seems so unreal that humans could think this is in any way attractive.
truespeed
The story is true,it was all over the news during london fashion week,two sisters in south america somewhere, died of anorexia,in some parts of europe they have banned "size zero" women from appearing on the catwalks (though im not sure what size zero means).. apprently london didnt do this as they said it would be unfair to naturally thin women like say kate moss.
truespeed
I saw a TV programme last night, on bbc3 coincidently about this,size zero is an american measurement and equates to a british size 4.
benjmd
Lol, Kate Moss is definitely not naturally that thin. No one is. She may be a naturally lean person, but that's much different than being that thin. The entire fashion word is a beast of its own. Beauty is the ability to have that form which designers want wearing their clothes in that world and the designers keep wanting thinner and thinner. It is a self-absorbed art form ignorant of the fact that few real people can buy clothes tailored for someone that dangerously thin and the fact that looking like a peacock is not necessarily a good thing for your 9-5 job or your visit to the local dance club. Have you seen how ridiculous some of those costumes are?
HoboPelican
Size 0 is a size four in Britain?! Surprised What does a size 3 look like?

I'm pretty sure that photo was altered, although, as pointed out already, the story seems to be quite true.
Quote:

Fashion model Eliana Ramos died from malnutrition last week - six months after her 180cm, 40kg older sister Luisel died after a catwalk show following a three-month lettuce diet.

My mind is filled with jokes about this, but it truly is not a funny situation. WTF is wrong with the civilized world, that some of us are killing ourselves through obesity while others are voluntarily starving to death?

Here is a fashion site's page on Eliana with pics.
http://www.fashionmodeldirectory.com/models/eliana_ramos/photos/
gluingquarters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliana_Ramos

I followed some of the links. I think it's very probable that the images were photoshopped. The story, however, as was said, is quite real.