FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Will cd's be the way of vinyl?

eltro
With ipods and flash memory cd's don't make sense anymore. i'd rather plug my ipod into my car than carry cd's and load each one for what 15 songs?
darknight985
i guess your right but what about the bands that dont have there music on itunes? if we totally get rid of cd's then those people will be screwed. Also this is kinda like VHS vs. DVD. Some people still VHS players and thats what they like. Also there is the people that cant afford the nice mp3 players so thet bu the ones that hold like 30 songs and i think CD's would be better than that.
Drawingguy
Oh, I'm sorry...I don't have an ipod. What of me? I'm trying to say that not everyone may have portable mp3 players as you do, so a lot of people have to make do with cd's, as outdated as they are getting. Of course, I don't think cd's will be gone for a while (at least without some new music-converison technology), and here's why.

To convert a selection to an mp3 file, you need the CD, unless you use iTunes, or what have you. Don't count on that, though, because if you're marketing, I doubt you'd market with the aim of exclusion [of those who don't have iTunes].

Mp3 files lose sound quality in respect to a CD file. Some people may feel that the whole sound of music is equally important as the amount you can hear. After all, how many songs can you listen to? Quality > quantity, at least in my book.
godam64
we still need cd as a cheap and save way to store or backup files. with flash disk new virus will infect the files on it easily. sometimes my antivirus heal the infected files by deleting it. cd is the best way to backup files for several years. Very Happy
Idoru
I don't think you can compare CD and vinyl. Vinyl, for example, is a medium only for music.
You can't make on yourself so easily and it isn't rewritable. The electronic climate was totally
different in the days of glory for vinyl.
Now a days we use the medium CD for lots of other things than music, and even if most
music still is released on CD at first it already happens that the band never puts it on
a disc. Music have become more independent of the media, and changed a lot in shape.
There are electronic stuffs in it, and some times it can't even be performed without
some kind of a computer.
Imagine that in times before even the vinyl! It's not only the medium that changes, it's the content
aswell. And as for the question at hand, well, CD will propably linger on longer than the vinyl,
due it's multiple usages, but also, there will and already is more parallel alternetives.
tbsmicro
I sort of agree with both sides of what has already been said. I think there was a very valid point made by drawing guy, unless you download everything via i-tunes then you are always gonna need the cd to convert to mp3. The other thing is that vinyl is still around, there is still a very strong market for it, its just not the mainstream medium it once was. I don't think cd's will die a death just yet, but still prefer the skip free mp3's and with the prices of mp3 player now from under £10 there really is no way that you can avoid their versatility and availablity to all.
qscomputing
Yeah, but MP3 doesn't give the same quality as a properly-made CD. Actually, vinyl is supposed to give the finest sound quality out of all the formats.
{name here}
I'd never buy an MP3 player, even if it played FLAC or Ogg Vorbis files. Why? A hard drive can fail, but a well maintained CD or record cannot fail, especially with the top loading design of most portable CD players.
Hunterseaker
lets start with a story:
I went to the disco a week ago, and I was amased: I saw the dj putting round discs, called cd's in some kind of music player, and the music started, and that without clicking a single button!!

The message of this story: I think CD's are old fashioned, I never use them.
I just use my mp3 player, and with me many more.

So yes the CD is doomed, I think that over about 5 years, nobody uses cd's anymore.
coolclay
Cd's are better then mp3's any day. Of course eventually they will be replaced but I don't think it will be anytime soon at least not like the next 10 years or so.
Captain Fertile
Cds will (quite soon) become out-dated.

This will keep happening until the find the most robust and affordbale method (like that will ever happen).

Side note - I remember when Compact disks first came out and all the science and technology shows showed how robust they were compared to the old records. They spread the CDs with jam and peanut butter and ran pens across the surface, popped it into the nachine and hey presto it played perfectly.

AND YET, all it takes is one of my kids to walk within three feet of one of my CDs and they will jump and skip from that moment on - of course they deny it was them.

Either these inital claims were false or CD quality is poorer than when CDs first came out.
a.Bird
qscomputing wrote:
Yeah, but MP3 doesn't give the same quality as a properly-made CD. Actually, vinyl is supposed to give the finest sound quality out of all the formats.
I wouldn't necessarily say the finest but more so the closest translation to what was originally recorded. Also, I believe vinyl has a sort of richness that you cannot get with compact discs or digital music files on your computer. What's more, I think some of you are making this topic much too black and white. Comparing vinyl, compact discs and music files just on their own is fine, you'll get a list of 'pros' and 'cons' in regarding compression, portability, durability, lifespan, etc. But personally, taking the time to make someone a mix CD is much groovier to me than sending them a bunch of ripped mp3 files. In fact, I think mix tapes are probably the coolest thing you can make someone. I only see the progression of digital media and the way we utilize it (games, videos, music, etc.) to be directly parallel to the western philosophy of needing to branch out from what we have to create what we don't have even faster and more efficient than before. But honestly, I would be just as happy with vinyl. For me, music isn't something that you can just buy or steal and then trade like baseball cards. It's art- completely thought up, developed, sent through the air in kinetic waves and brought to your ears for the sole purpose of lifting you off your feet. I fear that if we worry too much about the most efficient way of manipulating music in the digital world, we'll begin to forget what music is really supposed to be about.
seagullspirit
CDs will be around for a lot longer as long as they keep this audio format since CDs already lost the VCDs to DVDs so even tho some land was lost to internet music downloaded to devices like iPods I bet CDs will be around for quite a while.
qscomputing
If you're going to be playing music through a decent speaker system you wouldn't want a low-quality source format (ie MP3), but I can't believe that people will be downloading FLACs in the same way as MP3s are now for a long time yet... So you still need CD for quality.

But tapes are still popular in some parts of the world...
djcaution
Really the debate isn't about vinyl or digital though when you're a DJ it is harder to mix with vinyl than on CD’s or MP3, it’s more about sound quality, and what lengths you are willing to go to to achieve that sound quality... which comes down to two things, noise and dynamic range.

Naturally vinyl being analogue its subject to more noise, surface effects of the needle in the groove, however you do have all the sound... with a CD you have a zero noise floor, but the audio has been ampled which means that however small an amount it is, some information is no longer there... this is also a problem to some extent with digital production, its not too bad, especially if people take the time to work at higher sample rates and then dither it down in the final mix, but you cannot substitute for analogue bass.

What people often don't realize about CDs is that the dynamic range isn't often fully utilized, its often compressed into the top of the dynamic range, so although it may sound loud, you're not getting the full range of music... its like the difference between radio 1 and 3, radio one is compressed as people listen to it on small speakers in cars etc but radio 3 is uncompressed which is why when they broadcast an opera you hear everything as it should be.

As for MP3s… well for a start they’re a lousy compression format, so if you MP3 a higher bitrate WAV for eg you’ve ended up sampling twice, which will again reduce quality, plus things like the nyquist limit can have a serious effect on the ‘ringing’ you sometimes get on cymbals in MP3s… in the same way that over compression on digital TV gives you that blocky effect on large single colored areas.
snowboardalliance
Personally I only use MP3's mostly. BUT I get the MP3's from CDs, so really I don't think CDs will end any time soon. Also, I use CDs in my car some times because I don't always have my Zen with me.
Josso
Vinyl still has a rich sound to it, probably because it's not digital - a lot of vinyl junkies will tell you a newly pressed vinyl sounds better than a CD version of the same single or album. But on the other hand CDs are more portable and you can rip them easier etc, I see both sides of the argument.
linangan
I don't think CDs are about to become obsolete. After all, vinyls are still around. Some people still prefer "the real thing" over MP3s.

I can understand though that people with iPods or such gadgets leave their CDs behind. Even so, a lot of people still buy the CD record albums themselves because it's still a lot more affordable than buying individual tracks online. So it takes more effort to rip songs from a CD, but so what? Having purchased the CD not only saves you money, it can act as a backup just in case your PC crashes and eats up all the songs you bought online. Razz

What I'm really excited about though (and what record companies, i.e. CD makers) should be afraid of are those gadgets from XM and Sirius (satellite radio service providers in the US). These devices not only play real-time satellite radio programs, they can also store songs from your PC. If you hear a song you like on a radio program, you can bookmark the song, so that once you plug the device into your PC it looks for the song online for you to purchase. GAH! Very Happy
scimitarmoon
Eventually CDs will become obsolete... that's the way technology works. But I think as long as people have CD players and people continue to produce them, they will stick around. I know a lot of people that just don't have the money or inclination to get an mp3 player, myself included. Though my problem mainly lies in not wanting to have to pay so much money for a decent quality mp3 player and then run the risk of having it break on me... everyone has their own reason for having one or not having one. It's in too much of a transition phase right now to tell what the outcome will be. Who knows? Maybe something even "better" will hit the market before long and make mp3 players obsolete as well.
seinteligente
I think that the way of the CDS will be the dvds..and not the vinyls ..since on cd/dvd you can put data too .

And the most important thing : The price of a 700 mb rewritable cd isn't the same as a 700 mb usb drive or a 700 mb mp3..
Yantaal
TBH i stilll love records or vinyl, they sound somuch richer and nicer.

gievn the chose i wouod chose vinyls, but i dont know, i never use my mp3 player. well rarley anway
R2.DETARD
I can easily see the recording industry doing what they did to vinyl, to CD's.
where they made it riskier for record shops to stock vinyl than CD's. I think the industry will do the same for CD's, they make the record shops risk more profits to stock CD's and the decrease in range will lead the consumer to purchase MP3's.
The bad thing about the vinyl CD's situation in the 80's/90's was that CD's were a LOT more expensive than vinyl (and still are) and the price increase
didn't translate to a royalty increase for the artist, but was directly proportional to the amount of money the RIAA has to spend suing the crap outta P2P sites.
ehecatl
I still use cd's all the time as I can't afford a decent mp3 player, but if you think the CD is doomed: My car doesn't have a cd player, it has a radio and a tape player. Now my question is: What the heck am I gonna do with a tape player in my car? Absolutely nothing...
David_Pardy
The last two CD players I've bought for my car also support CDs packed full of MP3s and WMAs.

I don't use WMA files though. My MP3s are all 160kbps VBR or greater. I used to use only 128kbps CBR MP3s but when I upgraded from a Soundblaster 16 to a Soundblaster Audigy and recieved the wonderful Logitech Z-640 speakers, I began hearing the defects quite clearly.

If you're encoding your MP3s at least at 160kpbs and using VBR, then you're unlikely to hear as many defects. I listen to music in my car stereo a LOT and I only hear defects in the old ones. So... MP3s aren't that bad. It's like saying that all Toyotas are bad because your 20 year old Corolla isn't as fast as your new Lexus.
eggg
darknight985 wrote:
i guess your right but what about the bands that dont have there music on itunes?

If CD's really went the way of vinyl, then small time bands would still be making CD's. There are at least 4 labels in Olympia that make LP's and 7 inches, and everyone and their mother in this town has released something independantly on CD-R. The least among us are the most industrious! House parties and mix tapes for all!