FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ics on windows xp

internetjobs
hi... i have 3 computers on my home network.. i want to use internet connection sharing on there system..tell me the proceduceto enable internet connection sharing on my xp system...

is it required 2 network card?
johanfh
You can use two network cards, but that is a difficult solution. It is easier to use a small switch or hub to share your connection. Then you can connect your switch to your modem and connect al three computers to the switch.
But if you want to use two network cards (on two pc's, because you mentioned you had three pc's) you need to enable inernet sharing. You can find this option in your network-options, look in the tab "advanced", there you find internet connection sharing.

Succes!
JohanFH
Bones
ICS is really easy to set up, but a router is much easier to use in general.
A Hub would also work, but then your ISP will have to provide you with another IP address and many ISP's charge extra money for that.

With ICS, yes you do need 2 NIC cards in the host pc and also one in the pc you are trying to connect to the host pc. Also the host pc must be turned on for the other pc to be able to connect. Actually, to connect all 3 computers, you will need 3 NIC cards in the host pc and on in each of the other computers.

Here is a really good guide to setting up ICS: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02july01.mspx
Sunny
Bones wrote:
ICS is really easy to set up, but a router is much easier to use in general.
A Hub would also work, but then your ISP will have to provide you with another IP address and many ISP's charge extra money for that.

Its beyond my understanding that why he needs an EXTRA IP to setup home networking, Well actually he doesn't.

@internetjobs,I am guessing you are connected via a router, many of the routers have multiple ethernet ports to connect more pc, you can check yours for that. If it doesnt has multiple ethernet ports then using a switch is much better option then going for multiple ethernet cards.
Bones
Sunny wrote:

Its beyond my understanding that why he needs an EXTRA IP to setup home networking, Well actually he doesn't.

Well actually he isn't setting up home networking. He wants to set up internet connection sharing.

If he were to use a hub instead of ICS, and since hubs have no DHCP capabilities then he would need another IP address.
Sunny
Bones wrote:

Well actually he isn't setting up home networking. He wants to set up internet connection sharing.

If he were to use a hub instead of ICS, and since hubs have no DHCP capabilities then he would need another IP address.

And how did you guess his router/modem doesn’t support DHCP ? Even the very simple and inexpensive ones have this feature. Even if I consider it doesn't, still replacing the router will be cheaper than paying for 2 extra IP's per month/annum.
Bones
Sunny wrote:

And how did you guess his router/modem doesn’t support DHCP ? Even the very simple and inexpensive ones have this feature. Even if I consider it doesn't, still replacing the router will be cheaper than paying for 2 extra IP's per month/annum.

I didn't say that his router did not support DHCP, I said that A HUB does not support DHCP..a router by nature does have dhcp.
Sunny
Bones wrote:

I didn't say that his router did not support DHCP, I said that A HUB does not support DHCP..a router by nature does have dhcp.

Yes but if his router/modem has DHCP feature then he doesn't needs the dhcp feature in hub/switch right?
Bones
Sunny wrote:

Yes but if his router/modem has DHCP feature then he doesn't needs the dhcp feature in hub/switch right?

Is it just your intention to pick apart everything I say? If he has a router why whould he want to set up ICS in the first place? The original post said nothing about a router so I have to assume that he doesn't have one, because if he did, there would be no need for ICS.

In the second post it was suggested that he try a switch or a hub and I posted the information that a hub as no dhcp and therefore if he were to use one he would need a second IP address.
internetjobs
ok.. i did it.. i used ics onmy xp with 2 network card.. and i connected to my small net work.. now all systems on my network is geting internet.. thanks for suggestions...