Quote tags added by moderating team. Please use the quote tags whenever posting work NOT your own.
ADHD, a disorder beginning in childhood, characterized by a persistent inability to sit
still, focus attention on specific tasks, and control impulses,” contributed by Michael Woods to
Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is one of the most
common mental disorders of childhood. Many children grow out of ADHD by adolescent or
adult years, but many do not. Studies show ADHD in adulthood is more severe and may cause
long term effects.
Diagnosing ADHD is very difficult, because most children are inattentive, hyperactive, and
impulsive at least some of the time. When diagnosing there is no blood test, or written test to
determine if ADHD is present. All there is are guidelines and an educated guess. The guidelines
include, “ A disturbance of at least six months during which at least eight of the following are
1. often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
2. has difficulty remaining seated when required to do so
3. is easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
4. has difficulty awaiting turn in games or group situations
5. often blurts out answers to questions before they have been completed
6. has difficulty following through on instructions from other
Do you have ADHD?